6.9

$1,123.00

2. replace skid control computer (4 reports)
  3. re-calibrate vsc system (1 reports)
  4. replace brake booster (1 reports)
  5. replaced oxygen sensor (1 reports)
  6. vehicle skid control ecu/steering angle sensor (1 reports)
2003 Toyota Sequoia electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Sequoia:

2003 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments

May 152013

Sequoia SR5 4.7L V8

After reading all the other complaints, on this and other websites, the problem doesn't appear to be simply Toyata being mad at me. Except for this problem, the Toyota Sequoia has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned (and that includes a number of Cadillacs, three Benz-types, and some other cool stuff).

It just seems counter-productive for the Toyota folks to ignore a problem that could develop into a real hazard.

- , Wynona, OK, USA

Feb 012011

Sequoia

ABS?VSC Tract light keep staying on after repairing and now the rear winshield motor is acting up. they stop in randomly locations not at set position when turn off the switch. I do not want to buy this car in the future.

Oct 242009

Sequoia SR5

I complained to Toyota and they opened a case for me. They told me to take the Sequoia to the dealership to be checked out and they would be in touch. The car stayed there 1 week. We got our called today that Toyota would not pay anything toward a fix because the car was too old and not under warranty. This issue has nothing to do with misuse, or age it has to do with a manufacturer defect that is affecting many other 2003 Sequoias. I told them they needed to recall this. I am hearing a horrible grinding noise when the car is in reverse now and according to a very reputable mechanic there is nothing wrong with the car! He told me that it was a computer issue that controlled the ABS/ VSC TRAC. Bottom line Toyota isn't taking this seriously and I pray nothing happens to me or my children while driving this car. Good luck people !

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 012009

Sequoia 4.7L V8

I bought the Sequoia new in 2002. During the life of the vehicle, I have had the dealership check out the problem at least 6 times. While under warranty, it wasn't a concern. Nor did the light stay on for long. Now that I am out of warranty, they want over $1,000 to replace the VSC TRAC computer and also warn me that this may not be all that requires repair. Since VSC TRAC is not essential, I have simply ignored the problem.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

May 052004

Sequoia Limited

My VSC/Trac lights have come on randomly beginning at 10,000 miles. Even though I bought extended warranty, the problem was NEVER taken care of by Toyota. They always wanted thousands to fix brake booster (which when I got a second opinion it was fine) or some other $1500+ fix, of course not covered by my bumper to bumper. I have brought the problem up to Toyota customer service twice. They don't care! I know sooooo many people online have the same problem with this year/model. Hopefully we will be the next recall!

- , Poway, CA, USA

Aug 142009

Sequoia SR5 4.7L V8

Same as all the others with Sequoia VSC lights and engine light came on at the same time around 94,000 miles. The dealer said it would cost $2,900 to replace both computers. I don't know if I believe them or not. I would rather disable the Vehicle Skid Control system and just use common sense with skidding, My other 2 vehicles don't have skid control. Nothing I ever had did until this Sequoia. It should be a mandatory recall. I won't pay that to fix it.

- , Washington, MS, USA

Nov 052007

Sequoia SR5 V8

How ironic that the VSC Track and engine lights came on at the same time at exactly 111,000 miles. This is the 2nd time in 1.5 years the VSC Track light has came on. This part had better be under some sort of part warranty. This has been a very reliable vehicle except when it seems the computer parts are programmed to fail.

I use to commute in heavy slow traffic in Seattle when my brake light would come on when using the brakes in traffic. The dealer could not find a problem, since leaving Seattle this problem has not repeated itself unless in slow heavy traffic. The brake light will go off after the key is turned off and back on again.

- , Oroville, CA, USA

May 042009

Sequoia Limited V8

I have read other complaints about this and now I am a victim as well. I have loved my toyota and I hope this doesn't change me forever. THis is a real pain the in pocket book.

Update from Jun 3, 2009: I took my vehicle to a mechanic I trust. He said he had to "re-calibrate" the skid control system several times, but he finally got the VSC lights to stay off. This cost me $200 instead of $2500 to replace the computer. He made no guarantees about how long this fix would last, but if you are strapped for cash like I am, try to find a mechanic to do this for you instead of replacing the computer.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 162009

Sequoia SR5 V8

As others here have complained, I, too, have the VSC trac light and Trac off lights on. I start the car and pull out and a beeping alarm sounds, power is lost and there is a horrible grinding noise. Once the car comes to a stop, the lights come on and then the car drives normally. I am now aware of this problem and accelerate very gently until the lights come on so as to avoid the beeping and grinding. I took this to the dealer and they said I needed to replace the skid control computer which would be $1250 for the part and $200 for the labor.

Why should a computer failure have anything to do with the wear and tear of the car? This should last for the LIFE of the vehicle, not just 68,000 miles (or less) as others have attested. Of course, even my extended warranty expired at 60,000 miles. I will not fix this unless I get a serious discount or it causes another problem. I just don't have the money for it right now. I have had two other Toyotas and neither had any serious problems. I will NOT buy another Sequoia EVER!

- , Clovis, CA, USA

Jan 282009

Sequoia Limited V8

there are multiple problems such as mine with this model year.Toyota should recall it . i took car to shop and they say i may need to replace the transmission however nothing is wrong with my tran. the vsc light stays on and also the vsc trac light. i have seen other complaints and none list a tran replacement.my abs light comes on now and also my check engine as a result of the above lights. more owners need to report these issues that they are having with this model year to hold Toyota accountable.

- , Woodbridge, VA, USA

Oct 132006

Sequoia Limited

My Sequoia is only 3 years old and Toyota says I now need to replace the Vehicle Skid Control Computer and the Trans Late ECU (whatever that is) for a total of $2100! Of course, my warranty was up 8,000 miles ago. I haven't fixed it yet because I'm hoping to get a second opinion that costs a lot less. I've seen many others with this problem on different blog sites but Toyota doesn't want to give me the time of day when I try to complain about this needing to be paid for by Toyota. This problem all started when my husband & I almost got in an accident when the "VSC TRAC" and "TRAC OFF" lights came on and a short beep sounded. The brakes fluttered and there was a grinding noise. We took it to Thousand Oaks Toyota in California and they gave us the $2100 quote. I don't think Toyota will ever get my business again. This is the second major problem I've had with this 3 year old car.

- , Ventura, CA, USA

Aug 152007

Sequoia SR5 5.2L V8

The internet is full of Sequoia owners complaining about this VSC/Trac problem.

Toyota are obviously aware of problem - the Customer Experience group offered to go 50/50 with me on the repair, since I am out of warranty. I would not expect such a major piece of electronic equipment to fail after only 60,000 miles. I would be very wary of buying another Sequoia based on the feedback I see from other owners and my own experience. (see my other related complaint - total $3k in repairs in 3 months!!!!) I never post to forums but felt compelled to do so to try to protect other potential owners from making costly mistake

Dec 062007

Sequoia SR5 5.2L V8

OK so I got my VSC/Trac computer replaced 3 months ago and now the lights are on again - this time accompanied by brake light. Dealers says we now need to replace the Brake Booster - $1300 - we are now close to $3000 in 3 months. The Customer Experience dept offered no help this time since they have already offered help! Again, I am amazed that so many people have this problem and it is not being taken care of by Toyota, especially as this is a safety issue - this assists the brakes.

Again - be very cautious about purchasing a Sequoia until you have researched the reliability of these vehicles.

Sep 282007

Sequoia SR5 4.7L V8

This "fix" apparently lasted 13 months until it happened again this week as reported.

Sep 262007

Sequoia SR5 4.7L V8

VSC/trac lights are on. Here we go again with this recurring problem which I will again have to have "fixed" at my expense, again, by the dealer. Why isn't there a recall on this item which I have read many Tundra and Sequoia owners have had?

Sep 262007

Sequoia SR5 4.7L V8

These lights came on intermittently but would go out if engine turned off and restarted for awhile. Finally, they just stayed on. I've read about many other owners with this problem, but no real solution. Toyota dealer "fixed" at my expense.