2004 Toyota Sequoia seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sequoia:

2004 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments

Apr 072016

Sequoia

Takata recall Toyota customer service and my local Toyota have been unable to remedy this defect in the last 3 weeks nor can they tell me when they might be able to. My answer is always, "the part is on backorder". I was also told by Toyota customer service that my vehicle was safe to drive as long as there was no one in the passenger seat, that there were sensors that would not allow it to deploy if there was no weight in the passenger. I have specific questions: 1. are there sensors on a 2004 model 2. is my vehicle safe to drive with no one in the passenger seat 3. does Toyota in fact have a priority system set up for owners who live in high moisture areas. 4. if vehicles can be traded from dealership to dealership why can's parts? I have contacted Toyota customer service twice (case # 1604290026) who put me in contact with dealership customer service, which simply transferred me back to the parts department, who again told me parts are on back order, call back again. My first step was to call the Toyota hot line for the recall, confirm dealership had part, and schedule to get it repaired. When I arrived at the dealership I was told they did not have the part. Simply put, is my vehicle safe to drive because I have made every effort to get the repair accomplished.

- Eatonton, GA, USA

Dec 232015

Sequoia

Takata recall. I received the recall notice around June or July of this year. I scheduled the repair with our local Toyota dealership. They gave us the date to bring it in. My wife took off from work and took the car and then they did not have the repair parts in stock and said we would have to reschedule. I am off work for the rest of year for holidays so this morning I called to reschedule and now they tell me they only have one tech who can do the repair and he is off until Jan 15th. Now if this is an urgent safety recall and no one should ride in the passenger seat, please explain to the Toyota dealers what urgent safety recall means.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

May 132015

Sequoia

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V286000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Chickamauga, GA, USA

Jun 162015

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (air bags), however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Sparks, NV, USA

Sep 012015

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (air bags) however, the part for the recall was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Jul 122015

Sequoia

July 2015 I received notice of the airbag recall for my vehicle. I have called the information # X2 only to be told this recall will be managed by zones. There is no plan for my zone apparently and no one at Toyota can tell me what zone I am in and when that zone will receive attention. In addition, although they offer you an alternative vehicle they do not offer you a comparable vehicle. I now have a vehicle that I can't fit eveyone in, no plan to fix my vehicle and no workable replacement vehicle. To add to the safety concerns there is no guarantee by vehicle will get fixed within the next year, much less be available and safe for the winter months when ice and snow in mn often require a 4 wheel drive vehicle for the 50 mile round trip to work.

- Chatfield, MN, USA

Sep 292015

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Aug 122015

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V286000 (air bags) however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Roanoke, IN, USA

Aug 032015

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (air bags) was received in August of 2015. After contacting the dealer and the manufacturer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed to repair the vehicle were still not available and no estimated time for receiving the parts could be given. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Granada Hills, CA, USA

Jul 082015

Sequoia

I have had a safety recall on my vehicle. First notification came in July. 6-7 weeks later still waiting. Contacted Toyota directly via the number provided. Their only comment is that they have done their part by alerting me to the safety issue and when the "part comes the part comes." They had no concern for the fact that this means I have to drive two vehicles to get my family anywhere, although they did encourage me to go rent a vehicle from the dealership until the parts come in. Really" an indefinite rental cost for something that is a manufacturer defect" I think Toyota are great because they last and last, however I think Toyota Corp is the worst when it comes to dealing with things they are responsible for.

- Chatfield, MN, USA

May 192015

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (air bags)however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 312015

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the dealer declined to service the vehicle under NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (air bags). The manufacturer was notified of the issue and stated that the state that the vehicle was registered in was not considered in a high humidity zone. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Oakville, CT, USA

Jan 272015

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact received notification on NHTSA campaign number: 14V655000 (air bags) however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Nov 032014

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that that the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact mentioned that NHTSA campaign number: 14V655000 (air bags) was received however, exceeded a reasonable amount of time. The dealer stated the part was not available for repair on multiple occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 124,000.

- Port Arthur , TX, USA

Dec 022014

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V655000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 082013

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that another vehicle crashed into the front drivers side of the vehicle. The contact stated that the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. Additionally the contact stated the brake warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic and the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was unknown.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Feb 242012

Sequoia 8-cyl

My Toyota Sequoia SR5 is showing some lights in dashboard. First it was the vsc solid light coming on then off on it own, after some months, the airbag light came on then off then solid on, I went to the Toyota dealer to get it check out, and they couldn`T find what is making the airbags light to come on. More recently, I started having a cruise control problem as well. The cruise control will sometimes work and also some other time refuse to work unless you turn the steering wheel over and over again and then it will sometimes kick -in. I have also noticed that the car will loose power while simply driving it, when it does so, the system will still be running but simply will get weak no matter how much gas you`re giving to the pedal. I hope to have this issues investigated since Toyota doesn't really address them when I call them. Warm regards,

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 252007

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. While driving approximately 35 mph, another vehicle crashed into her rear passenger door. The vehicle rolled over twice. None of the 4 air bags deployed. The dealer stated that the contact should call the manufacturer. The contact sustained injuries to her head, heart and body. There was major vehicle damage to the frame. There is a police report. The current and failure mileages were 47000.

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Feb 042006

Sequoia 8-cyl

We were traveling 70 mph North on I35 heading home from austin, Texas in our 2004 Toyota Sequoia. A man in the far right lane fell asleep and hit a cement barrier and over correct steering to the left. He in turn shot into the road into our vehicle. The vehicle struck or vehicle on the right mid passenger door. Our vehicle to rollover to the right 2.5 times and skid 200 feet. No airbags deployed at all! their were 6 passengers in our Sequoia that day and everyone was wearing their seat belt. My husband the driver sustained the following injuries: Head, and left arm contusions and abrasions and complained of headache. He also suffered neck and back pain. Myself: I suffered a concussion from hitting the right frontal and top portion of my head, severe neck and back pain & headache, left wrist & hand contusion with tendon & ligament damage. Bilateral knee pain with ligament damage. Multiple abrasions and unstable vital signs. My mother-in-law who was sitting behind my husband in the 2nd row seating. She sustained multiple contusions to hips and shoulders and sustained 2 pelvic fractures. Complained of head, neck, and back pain. My father-in-law who was sitting directly behind passenger who sustained 3 neck fractures one section of his neck vertebrae was crushed. He also had a severe laceration/crush injury to his right third digit. He had multiple contusions and abrasions. Complained of head, neck, and back pain. Our youngest daughter was in the 3rd row seating sitting in the middle. She sustained multiple contusions and abrasions and complained of headache, back & neck pain along with abdominal pain. Our other daughter was sitting in the far left 3rd row seating (behind driver) she sustained a rib fracture and severe head laceration and had multiple contusions and lacerations. She complained of headache, neck and back pain.

- Mansfield, TX, USA