1.7

2005 Toyota Sequoia body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sequoia:

2005 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments

Oct 252016

Sequoia

I took my Toyota in for an alignment. They took me out to look at it and the frame was so rusted that the swaybar had broken and was resting against the boot, which it ripped a hole in. The other side was eaten away with rust and ready to break at any moment. The whole frame from front to back was rusted. I took it to my local dealer and they declared it unsafe to drive. I called Toyota and they said there was no recall on mine. So they won't do anything. I still owe about $7000 on it and the way it is, has no resale value. I can't afford to buy anything else and shouldn't have to. This is not normal and they had to have used subpar metal on these frames. I am very fortunate that I wasn't in a wreck with dire consequences.

- Sugar Grove, OH, USA

Jun 012016

Sequoia

The rear door has continued to have issues repeatedly. The handle to open the rear door broke once and had to be replaced in order to open the door. The rear wiper has stopped working severall times, and the window in the rear door has stopped working multiple times despite repeated repairs.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Dec 102015

Sequoia

My 2005 Sequoia has the vsc off and vsc trac lights on and it causes a hesitation in acceleration - which is a significant crash hazard. I notified Toyota about this and asked if they would fix it because they recalled other years of Sequoias for the same problem. Toyota will not fix it and said that the 2005 has different parts than the years that they recalled. That is silly because the problem is there even if the parts are different. The hatchback latch has also broke and the hatchback will not open. I looked online and saw that this is another well known problem with 2005 Sequoias that Toyota refuses to fix despite the dangers if there were a crash and somebody needed to exit from the hatch area.

- Bayville, NJ, USA

Dec 312015

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. When the vehicle was being inspected by the dealer, it was noticed that the frame was rusted and was unable to be repaired. The dealer stated that the vehicle was unsafe to drive and the frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Colchester, CT, USA

Jan 162015

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle had new front shocks put on as front shocks were rusted and seized, after inspection of vehicle, technician told us frame of the car was severely rusted and had holes in it. He felt it was very unsafe as spare tire could fall off and SUV may not take impact from a crash correctly. We phoned Toyota directly and we asked for a technician to come over to our dealer to view the SUV. We were told they could not do that, and we had to go to dealer and have dealer look at it. Dealer looked at it and took pictures and advised us that is in poor condition. They are sending that information over to Toyota. Toyota should take this much more seriously as they have had recalls on other vehicles with this same issue. I do not feel safe at all in my car and I bought this new and paid a lot of money for this vehicle. There should be a recall on this issue as this is definitely a safety issue.

- Iron River, MI, USA

Dec 012012

Sequoia

Extreme rusting on vehicle chassis, spare tire mount, shock mounts, entire under-carraige. Toyota has performed chassis replacements on model years up to 2004 due to extreme rusting on the Sequoia. This generation needs to be included in recall or campaign to remedy the situation.

- Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

May 012012

Sequoia

Rear hatch window frame and mechanism has rusted to point of failure. Rear window fell into rear hatch and would not stay closed. Vehicle taken to dealer who informed me of entire rear door/hatch rusting away from inside. Vehicle has never been in any type of collision. Dealer informed me they have seen many Sequoia's where door is rusting out. Dealer reported that Toyota is aware of issue but will to recall vehicle. I am still hoping that Toyota will rectify issue as I was informed from dealer that repair would cost $1200.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Jan 012011

Sequoia 8-cyl

I recently purchased a used 2005 Toyota Sequoia from a dealer. The car has about 70K miles on it and looks to be in great shape inside and out. However, upon further inspection, I discovered that the entire frame of the car is rusted out with severe rust around the joints and welds of the underframe. I have lived in ne for the past 12 years and have owned my fair share of cars and trucks and I have never seen a frame that is this rusted on a fairly new car. My previous car was a 2003 Ford Explorer that I used in the snow/dirt/road all year long and the frame looked brand new when it was sold. Doing research online and talking to other Sequoia owners, it is clear that this is a known issue and that Toyota does not want to take responsibility for their lack of qc. The Toyota Tundra from the same years was recalled for the same exact issue and the warranty was extended and yet the Sequoia owners are left with expensive trucks that can't pass inspection after 6 or less years on the road. To me, this is unacceptable and I really hope that something will be done.

- Newton, MA, USA

Nov 012011

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the rear lift gate would not open. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and they informed her that the vehicle needed a new cable for the lift gate. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred twice. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 62,100. The VIN was unavailable.

- Mount Airy, NC, USA