2005 Toyota Sequoia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sequoia:

2005 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

May 012016

I experienced a problem with engine warning and vsc trac off lights going on. The check engine light also came on. My family and I were on a trip and our Sequoia all of a sudden lost power. It slowed down dramatically even though the engine was fine. It was a very dangerous situation because we were on an interstate where the speed is 70 mph. I also experienced all the brakes making a massive grinding noise while going slow into a restaurant. (the brakes have less than 3000 miles on them.) the parking brake light also comes on periodically.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Apr 142016

I have vsc trac, vsc off, and check engine. If you give it a lot of fuel, it just sounds like it wants to go, but it doesn't translate into power in the rear end. I use my code reader and it showed codes P1441 and P1444. Says I may have: A) faulty vacuum switching valve (vsv) for air injection control circuit, B)faulty air switching valve number 2, or C)faulty vsv for air injection system. This is the second time this happened to my Sequoia, and this seems to be a recurring issues for Toyota Sequoia owners and in fact it is a recurring issues for other models as well. This cost me approximately $2200 last time and now 2 years later it is back for another $2200 to repair. It's all the over the internet about this vsc trac, vsc off, and check engine, it needs to be recalled!

- Torrance, CA, USA

Jan 112016

Oyota Sequoia 2005 engine light on, vsc off light and trac vsc light on. These complaints are about this problems,, here are tons of other complaints on this problem and it is not limited to our year model. If all of the complaints were compiled in one area and presented to the ntsb, I'm sure that Toyota would be forced to deal with this issue and correct it. Its a big issue estimated cost for that around $ 2000 to $ 5000 I don`T know if U investigate or no.I am not going to get this issue repair until I will hear from you.please take it seriously

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Nov 112015

When turning corners in motion, the traction control light illuminates causing a loss of braking and acceleration. There is now way to control the vehicles acceleration/deceleration until the light goes off. Typically last about 3-5 seconds. This happens frequently every time the vehicle is driven.

- Alexander City, AL, USA

Oct 222015

Was driving and vehicle slowed down to about 35 40 mph and would not accelerate pass 40. Was in motion on a city street

- Midway, GA, USA

Sep 012015

While driving at 35 mph, the check engine light, vsc off light, vsc trac light, and the emergency brake light all came on at once, and the vehicle stopped accelerating, and I experienced a dramatic decrease in vehicle power. I drove the vehicle home noticing a drastic change in acceleration as the Sequoia would not accelerate normally; it would accelerate at a significantly reduced rate, topping out at 35mph on the flats, 30 mph on an incline, I was able to reach 70mph going down hill on a highway. Since that day, during start up, the engine makes a high-pitch vacuum noise, which drops off and normal engine sound returns. All dashboard lights are normal, until 10-15 seconds after start, when the vsc off/vsc trac/brake lights all illuminate, and remain on until the engine is turned off and the poor acceleration and decrease power are now the norm. This is a very dangerous safety issue should this happen to someone accelerating out of an intersection, or needing more power on a highway.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 032015

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the brake warning light illuminated. In addition, the vsc track off and the check engine warning lights illuminated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Walhalla, SC, USA

May 112015

Within the first two weeks, after purchasing the vehicle, the "brake" light, "vsc trac" light, and "trac off" light came on and there was a terrible grinding sound when attempting to stop. It was very hard to stop but luckily I was in a parking lot when it happened the first time. The "brake" light has continued to come on multiple times per week since may of 2015 and the other two lights still come on occasionally. In fact, on my 800 foot drive back from picking up my lunch today, the "brake" light was on. Each time the other 2 come on, it causes the breaks to grind and it is very hard to stop. There was just over 120,000 miles on the vehicle at purchase. I have read numerous forums online stating issues with this model, 2004, and 2003 models for the same issue but Toyota has refused to do a recall and expects customers to pay for something is obviously an issue throughout these particular models. I think something needs to be done about this issue. I believe it is a safety concern Toyota needs to be responsible for!!!

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Jun 172015

Sequoia 8-cyl

I bought a Toyota Sequoia 2005 back in 2005 at rice Toyota dealer in greensboro. Today, when I was driving on the street and turned on the left light signal with less than 15 mph while using the brake, I heard a very loud grinding noise and that instantly I saw all 3 signs ( trac off, vsc trac, brake ) on at the same time. I am almost out of breath and scared to death. The signs (trac off, vsc trac, brake ) once in a while appeared in the past and disappeared by themselve and I did not have any serious problems in the past, but today the car just acted like a dead car at that momentarily. I was so scared and scared.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 012015

Sequoia 8-cyl

When slowing to a stop, my Sequoia periodically grinds when braking and the vsc sensor, ABS sensor and trac sensor light turn on and stay on.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Feb 102014

We noticed that our frame had severe rust last winter. (2/14) we always did the regular recommended maintenance. We purchased this new in '05. I'm sure others haven't reported this as they haven't looked for this problem not expecting it from such an expensive vehicle that you would expect to be very reliable. We did put in a claim to Toyota last February and we were told that it wasn't a problem that they had many complaints on. I know there were recalls in the past with Toyota vehicles that had the tubular frames. This also has a tubular frame. We also have the same problem with vsc and tracking that many others on this site have complained about.

- Hardwick, MA, USA

Nov 222014

When accelerating from low speed or stops the Sequoia activates the vsc and the traction control system and refuses to accelerate. Happens consistently but not consistently enough to know when to expect it. The traction control/skid control light activates for around 5 seconds and then vehicle returns to normal operation. It can be nerveracking. From all my investigation it seems identical to the problems that led to the 2003 Sequoia recall. I do believe that this is a significant safety issue. Again from my research this is a very common problem among many model years of Sequoias.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 032013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Car had very little power when pressing gas pedal. Took to Toyota dealership where they indicated the "air injection pump" required replacement. I performed the required repair and it was $3,000. I've also seen this is a common problem with this model vehicle.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Nov 012009

Sequoia 8-cyl

When turning and accelerating (for example, turning out of a parking lot and entering traffic) the traction/skid control will engage - the skid control light turns on - and cut throttle for approximately 3 seconds. During this time the vehicle slows down and is not responsive to pressing on the gas pedal. This has happened approximately 10-15 times on this vehicle. I was not aware this was an inherent Sequoia problem until I read other complaints online - which is why I did not report this earlier.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Oct 042014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc trac, ABS and brake alerts light up on dash board, noise when vehicle is initially turned on, the noise disappears after a few minutes but the alerts stay on. The vehicle also loses power (but the engine keeps running, just no power to accelerate) if I make a quick turn, loss of power lasts for a few seconds then turns back on.

- Brea, CA, USA

Oct 042010

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc trac---vsc--check engine light--and then problems with acceleration!!

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Apr 162014

ABS system would engage as vsc skid control light and brake light appears. System would reset after ignition was turned off and restarted. Mishap occurred several times on dry, smooth road surface at a low rate of speed with minimal pressure on brake pedal. I took car to dealer for repair. They replaced skid control ECU. Car repeated symptoms on my way home. I took it back to the dealer. They replaced brake booster. Car is working normally now.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 132014

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc trac, vsc off and ABS light would come on and then reset when I turn off & restart the vehicle. I called the Toyota dealer I take my car to for maintenance and they said to bring it in when the lights turn on again. I did some research and waited for the lights to come back on. The lights came on today & I took it into the dealer. They said the master cylinder and skid ECU was bad & needed to be replaced. They quoted me $1900 plus labor. This is an extremely common problem with the Sequoia's and I am very surprised & disappointed that there hasn't been a recall done for this problem.

- Hondo, TX, USA

Jul 012014

Vsc trac, vsc off, brake, ABS lights... all on, all at once. This has happened several times now. It comes on for a couple of days and then resets itself no codes found. This time it came on again and limited the speed to about 35mph while my wife was driving on a major highway. She was able to get it back home safely thank goodness. I have been reading about similar cases for this model and do not know what to do.please help. We have just had it serviced about a month ago for timing belt replacement etc. This is my wife's primary vehicle and I can't afford to put any more money in this. Is there a recall for this with so many cases of the same issue I have read about?

- Walhalla, SC, USA

Sep 012014

Trac off, vsc trac, engine light came on...trouble code was P1444 (secondary air injection system switching value stuck)...vehicle had problems accelerating. Repairman indicated that the air injection pump/check values needed to be replaced and very expensive. Based on other reports it appears that this is a frequent occurrence and vehicles shutting down on interstates. Others have said that Toyota knows about this but won't issue an extended warranty, but offers for newer vehicles. Owned several Toyota before this...this could be a deal breaker for future Toyota.

- Carmel, IN, USA