2005 Toyota Sequoia suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sequoia:

2005 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments

Mar 022015

After 2007 recall of ball joints, Toyota dealer stated ball joints need replacing once again.

- Spring , TX, USA

Mar 092015

I own a 2005 Toyota Sequoia with excessive frame rust. I called Toyota about a possible recall and was told there was no recall for that issue on that particular vehicle. I was told they would document the issue and was given a case number. I was surprised to see several of the same issues on this site when they seemed surprised by my call. I have noticed surface rust for years but during last safety inspection was notified there was a hole in the frame.

- Londodnerry , NH, USA

Apr 222008

The vac trac & vsc off buttons on my dash are always on. This has caused the vehicle to grind when backing, drop into 4WD unexpectedly, lock wheels on one side only into 4WD and various other issues. I am lucky that I do in-town driving most of the time and have not experienced this while driving at a high rate of speed. I have had my vehicle scanned for codes & looked over by my mechanic which has not led to any faults or corrections needed. I am afraid to drive my car.

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 152006

Sequoia 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated while driving 35 mph, the brake lights illuminated on the instrumental panel. The failure recurred intermittently. The contact took her vehicle to the dealer for diagnostic testing and was advised that the skid control was defective and needed to be repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 19,000. The current mileage was 86,000. Updated 08/27/14 updated 09/2014

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 012012

Extreme rusting on vehicle chassis, spare tire mount, shock mounts, entire under-carraige. Toyota has performed chassis replacements on model years up to 2004 due to extreme rusting on the Sequoia. This generation needs to be included in recall or campaign to remedy the situation.

- Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

Sep 182013

The contact owns 2005 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled and made a grinding sound. The contact pulled over and had the vehicle towed to a dealer. The dealer performed a diagnostic and discovered a defective air injection system. The dealer stated that the air injection system needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the air injection system replaced. The failure mileage was 116,000.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Nov 292011

Sequoia 8-cyl

The plastic latch on the rear door of our 2005 Sequoia broke in November 2011. We had it replaced at the dealer for a cost of $300. Fourteen (14) months later, the plastic handle has broken again. This car has only 75000 miles and has been garage kept its entire life. The dealer offered a discount on the labor but nothing else. The mechanism to adjust the side view mirrors was adjusted several times during warranty but has never worked properly. The radio changes stations at a whim and the dvd player quit working right after the warranty expired. The driver side sun visor has an extremely sharp end that must be hammered back periodically. And, the front and rear wheel bearings had to be replaced at 75000 miles.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Jun 072012

The rear air bag leveling system fails while driving at all speeds. The vehicle bottoms out sending the rear end skipping across the road in both directions. I have taken the vehicle to the Toyota dealer 3 times. The second time I took it to the dealer they replaced the air release valves in the system and that did not fix the problem. Toyota does not seem to know why this is happening and has been unable to fix the problem. I have read of this happening to other Sequoia owners and in those cases the dealer was unable to fix the issue. This problem inhibits breaking and vehicle control at low and high speeds. The air bag leveling system needs to be recalled. I am unable to find a solution and am not able to drive the vehicle.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Feb 192007

Sequoia 8-cyl

2005 Toyota Sequoia - vehicle was recalled in 2007 to have the ball joints replaced. After replacement vehicle goes out of alignment 3 - 4 times per year, tires wearing on the outside on the front two tires. Now front end is vibrating when going 60 mph or faster and steering wheel is shaking as well. Had it back to the dealer many times complaining that it keeps going out of alignment. I am being told there is nothing wrong and an alignment is performed to correct the problem. I have had numerous alignments performed and tires replaced due to this problem. This problem started back in 2007 and continues to today with the recent vibration in the steering wheel.

- Garnet Valley, PA, USA

Oct 202010

We bought our 2005 Toyota Sequoia brand new. It has excessive tread wear on the outer edge of the tires. We are going on our 3rd set of tires. The original ones were replaced at 28K and we are having to buy new ones at 66K. We have been diligent in rotating our tires and having the alignments done. In 2007 there was a recall on the lower ball joint for the front suspension. We complained to the Toyota dealer at that time about the uneven wear on our tires, and could it be caused by the defective ball joint. They disagreed and said that it was from not taking care of our vehicle. We told them that we had the tires rotated at the recommended times. They said the car was fine, the test for the alignment was fine so it had to be the driver. Since then I have checked out other 2005 Sequoia's and noticed the same wear problem. I have also gone on different forums regarding this subject and have found the same complaint from other consumers. At what point is Toyota going to do something" is a car going to have to blow out a tire and kill someone for them to do something about this defect" our tires are bald on the outer edge of the tread but still have another 25K miles in the middle. I am extremely cautious going around corners because the traction control goes into effect. I am frustrated with the response that I have received from Toyota. There is something wrong with the suspension. When I spoke to a representative with Toyota, I was told, " that it is normal to only get 26K miles out of your tires. You can't compare your Sequoia with the Tahoe or Explorer." I have filed a complaint with Toyota in 2010 and the dealership in 2008 and I feel that it is being brushed under the rug.the amount of money we are spending on tires and alignments is frustrating. I just want my vehicle to be fixed so that the tires have an even wear pattern and last longer than 26K miles.

- Fortuna, CA, USA

Dec 062007

Sequoia 8-cyl

I am reporting about 2005 Toyota Sequoia. You are likely aware of the recall of the ball joint for the front wheels. This was official as of January/February 2007. I was informed about this when I took my car in service in November 2007, and then in December I received a postcard. Anyway, my car's all four tires had uneven tread wear, with marked wearing our of the outer half to the extent it is practically smooth with no tread left. As you know the ball joint defect is a common cause for this. I have discussed this issue with Toyota dealer and subsequently Toyota customer service, without any help. I am concerned that this may lead to pre-mature tire wear and on road tire rupture with crash. I believe, Toyota should be made responsible for reimbursing for the tire replacements. At least they should be providing a prorated cost adjustment.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Oct 232007

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. While parked, the vehicle caught fire. A fire and police report were both filed. The manufacturer would only reimburse the contact for half the cost of the vehicle, stating that they could not determine the cause of the failure. The failure and current mileages were 20,000. According to the police report, the fire may have started in the engine compartment. Prior to the fire, the tires were wearing unevenly, the driver side mirror was loose and the rear glass did not open. Updated 04/23/08

- Palisades Park, NJ, USA