2004 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 11 of 18)

Sep 272009

Sienna

We purchased the new 2004 Toyota Sienna on or about August of 2004. In about late September of 2009 I noticed a popping sound coming from the driver's door when opening and closing it. It became progressively worse in the following weeks. I checked on-line and discovered it to be a common problem with other 2004, 05, 06, 07 and 08 Siennas. I had a 5 year extended warranty and called the Toyota customer service here in Hawaii and was told that the warranty had expired so they were not going to do anything. I asked if Toyota factory welds were only good for the life of the warranty and was not given an answer. I later discovered that a technical service bulletin tsbnv003-07 was issued by Toyota but not a recall. They claim that a notice about the problem was mailed to the owners but we have never received it and have been living at the same address for 18 years. The broken part is an engineering flaw with the design of the plate welded to the door that causes the door strap welds to break loose if the broken part is not replaced or repaired the door will swing freely open to it's extreme and close suddenly without restriction when opening or closing the door. Repairs typically cost around $2,000 outside of warranty with the replacement of the drivers side door. Re-welding the failure points is not recommended as they are prone to fail again sooner than replacing the door. This failure also occurs on the passenger door. Due to the cost of the repair I have made my own modifications by installing 3 nuts and bolts through the door into the broken part, but have noticed that the part has about a one inch cracked due to the original popping of the welds. I have yet to have the crack welded, if possible. Also see the following site for a better description and understanding of this and other similar problems: sites.google.com/site/toyotasiennadefects/.

- Wahiawa, HI, USA

Mar 052010

Sienna

Automatic sliding passenger door cable snapped and it doesn't work even manually.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA

Feb 282010

Sienna 4WD

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna and the rear passenger sliding door is motorized. A few days ago, something within the motor that opens the door broke. If it had been a case of the motor wearing out, I would have been fine with it, but when it broke, it prevented the door from opening more than 3 inches, which I believe to be a safety hazard. The interesting thing about this is that the part to replace it cost roughly $1100 from Toyota, and when the mechanic called for the part, he said that Toyota had 5 of them in stock. His comment was that no one keeps five of a $1100 part in stock unless they know they are going to need it. When I searched the internet, I found a lot of postings from other people experiencing similar issues. Seemed like there might be more of these cases out there, and since the safety of passengers in the rear seemed like they could have been compromised with the door unable to be opened.

- Holliston, MA, USA

Mar 122009

Sienna

My automatic sliding door fell off my 2004 Toyota Sienna. This occurred while driving out my driveway. Although the door completely fell to the ground and my two children, ages 5 and 6 were present, nobody was hurt in the incident. I am thankful it happened while the vehicle was moving slowly. Oddly, darcars Toyota of silver spring, Maryland charged me over $1000 to fix the problem.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Nov 202009

Sienna

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna le. I am unable to open my right rear power sliding door with the key fob, button on the B-pillar, or button on the driver overhead console. This problem occurs at all temperatures. For now, I can open the door manually. I have no confidence the problem will not get worse. The dealer diagnosis is a deforming rear roller door hinge. A door hinge bending during under normal use should not lead to a failure at any time. After some research on the internet, I have discovered many people are having the same problem and other problems. I am fortunate my sliding door power cable has not broken and I have a garage so my doors do not freeze shut in cold weather (have experienced on ski trips). These are separate problems but indicative of quality problems at Toyota on the Sienna doors. In the event of a crash, I have no confidence I will be able to open the door and get the children out. The sliding doors in the 2004 Toyota Sienna appear to be poorly designed and the hinge deforming under normal use. The vehicle should be recalled to fix these issues.

- Glden, CO, USA

Apr 142007

Sienna

Rear passenger sliding door will not open.

- Hamburg, PA, USA

Feb 112010

Sienna

2004 Toyota Sienna within one year, both automatic sliding doors have become inoperable first (passenger side) locking sensor failed, resulting in inability to use automatic (motorized) closing system second (driver's side) failed on 2/11/10. Door cable got jammed in center hinge, resulting in inability to close door. Had to drive to dealership with door fully open. Both cases were estimated to cost almost $4000 total. First issue was resolved by just using door manually. Second issue was resolved by cutting cable and using door manually. Can not afford to fix both issues at $4000. Many web searches have found same/similar issues on this van.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 202009

Sienna

The weld that secures the door check mounting panel to the driver door is failing on my 2004 Sienna le. I get the dreaded popping noises when the door is opened and closed. The door check is the device that holds the door open halfway or fully open. This device provides resistance so the door does not swing freely. Toyota is aware of the issue (Toyota service bulletin NV003-07) and extended the regular warranty to 5 years and 1000,000 miles for this situation (Toyota motor sales usa letter to me in ~ 2008). Stevinson Toyota (lakewood co) told me the repair would be at my expense. My car is only 6 years old and has 111,000 miles. If Toyota was concerned enough to extend the warranty and cover the repair, why not issue a recall for all vehicles that experience the problem? just because my car is 6 years old doesn't mean the safety issue due to a failed door check went away. When the retaining mechanism weld fails completely, the door will swing freely and could close suddenly without any resistance. Any person in the way could be hit and any limbs/fingers could be trapped between the door and frame. This vehicle provides the family transportation so there are kids involved here.

- Golden, CO, USA

Feb 122010

Sienna

Multiple problems with minivan doors since purchase in 2004. Sliding doors freeze shut every winter, only opening after car warms up for 20-30 minutes. Driver side door weld broke after 3 years and needed repair. Front passenger door latch broke requiring use of bungee cords to keep door closed until repair part could be obtained. Power sliding door and manual sliding door also do not stay open at times creating dangerous situation for people entering and exiting the vehicle. Now, warning light comes on showing door open, driver side manual sliding door does not seem to close completely. While driving, door open light and interior lights are constantly activated. I have turned off interior lights to prevent battery drain from door staying slightly open when parked. Dealership will perform diagnostic and repair work but advised since there is no recall issued that cost will be mine. The sheer number of reports of sliding door issues should be enough to warrant a response from Toyota.

- Holden, MA, USA

Feb 162010

Sienna

Sliding doors freeze periodically - they won't open or close. People inside can't get out without climbing over front or back seats. When this happens the car senses that doors are open and loud beep sounds and interior lights go on and off. There seems to be no way to resolve this at the time. This has happened approximately 3 - 4 times per season.

- Brightwaters, NY, USA

Feb 172010

Sienna

Toyota Sienna 2004 power sliding door cable snapped.

- Kearny, NJ, USA

Jan 252010

Sienna

The drivers side sliding door on my 2004 Sienna xle would not operate.the opening cable had frayed. The Toyota dealer wanted $1,700. To repair this which is way too much for a problem I didn't cause. The dealer cut the cable and it now works manually but I can't open the door from the inside. This is a serious defect. I can't use the door in an accident. Toyota should fix this.

- Indpendence, MO, USA

Feb 122010

Sienna

Passenger side power sliding door is jammed shut. Toyota is offering to fix with a new redesigned motor for $3,000. If Toyota redesigned the motor they knew there was an issue and this should be a recall. Toyota new about this issue as they issued a tsb on this exact problem which only covered vehicles within 3 years or 36,000 miles. The Toyota tsb number is EL004-04. I'm adding my VIN here since I'm unable to enter it later on.

- Mansfield, MA, USA

Feb 032010

Sienna

Passenger side, automatic door stopped working. Can not close the door completely causing a safety hazard. Went to dealer... dealer mentioned there is a known issue but they will fix it only if the vehicle has less than 36K miles... problem was caused due to the sliding door motor, cable assembly and hitch which holds the door. Dealer's estimate to fix the problem $2000.

- Norwood, MA, USA

Aug 082009

Sienna

2004 Toyota Sienna le driver side door got cracked with out any physical accident to the door or vehicle. I think Toyota knows about this defect and that's why they have offered extended warranty the called enhancement warranty up to 5yr/100K miles instead of 3/36K which they are suppose to notify all owners of 2004 to 2007 Sienna. But somehow I could not find any complain on NHTSA web site about this defect. Also I would like to notify NHTSA that Toyota did not notify all owners about this defect or the enhancement warranty I'm one of the person who was not notify and when I called Toyota they said they've send out the letters to all affected owners and since I did not receive any letter in this matter what so ever so I've asked them if their is any way they can trace that they have send me the notification but they said they have no way of telling that they have sent me the letter but they want me to believe that they sent me. So I called couple of my friend has affected year Sienna about any notification from Toyota about extended warranty both of them said they have never received any notification from Toyota. So basically the point I'm trying to make is Toyota mislead people about sending out letters to owners and at the same time I'm raising a question what is this warranty enhancement ? if this is the defect that they already know happen to van this should be a recall how good is this warranty when doors are good for first 5 years and it falls apart after ward. This another way to fool people. I'm sure their are lot of Sienna owner who had to pay out of pocket for this cracked door where they know it's a defect to begin with. I hope some thing gets done about this and this should be a recall.

- Corona, CA, USA

Feb 012010

Sienna

The passenger side automatic sliding door has been touchy with its ability to open and close and to indicate to the car whether it is opened or closed. Yesterday, the door ceased to operate. Upon further investigation, it appears that a cable has snapped in the door and will need to be replaced. I feel that this is ridiculous for a 5 year old car. It is also very expensive, from $700 to $1800, with Toyota dealers being the most expensive.

- Brambleton, VA, USA

Oct 222008

Sienna

Passenger side rear seat door cable snapped rendering door inoperable and a safety pinch point. Door will only open to about 3 feet and then will automatically close.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Jan 252010

Sienna

The passenger power sliding door on my 2004 Toyota Sienna xle has failed resulting in the door being inoperable. No extraordinary events lead up to the failure, just normal use. The failure, in this case the motor failed, renders the door completely inoperable, meaning it cannot be opened or closed. In order to operate it manually, the cable connected to the motor must be cut, and in order to operate the door automatically, the motor must be replaced at a cost of $2,019 for parts and labor. Additionally, the vehicle was taken to the local Toyota dealer who also checked the driver side sliding door and noted this door, in addition to the passenger door, was getting ready to fail too. I found online a Toyota technical service bulletin EL004-04, not a recall, but clearly states the failure problem and the ensuing production design change.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 012009

Sienna

The power sliding doors on the 2004 Sienna fail early, causing safety and usability issues. The power door cable wears out early due to faulty coating on he cable, faulty hinges and door freezing. Once the cable snaps, the door can slide open upon acceleration. Disabling the power feature allows the door to be used, but falsely causes the vehicle to register the door as closed when it is open, allowing the car to be put in gear and driven without the door properly latched closed. Loose parts from the snapped cable and torn cable jacket easily lodge in the working mechanism, making the door behave inconsistently - sometimes latching, sometimes not. When not latched, the door easily slides forward or back if the vehicle is parked on a hill, potentially causing injury. In addition, the doors freeze closed in moderately cold (25 F) temperatures, causing them to open partially (a few millimeters). This causes extra strain and wear on the power door cables and can cause the vehicle to register an open door. If the door is left in this condition, it can mask other doors actually being opened while the vehicle is moving. The partial opening also causes a misalignment of the locking mechanism, making it very difficult to open the door to correct the partial opening. The door repair was quoted by multiple dealers at more than $3000. A tsb (0085-09) in early 2009 offered an alternate method of repair, but the cost is still more than $1700 per door. Dealerships have been unwilling to provide the part to non-dealer mechanic's shop.

- Norwood, MA, USA

Dec 182009

Sienna

We have a 2004 Sienna ce that we bought new. Since owning the car (it has 125,000 miles on it) the sliding doors have frozen shut whenever the weather is cold. Living in Vermont, I thought that this issue was isolated. However, when my son tried to open the door and the handle snapped off because the door was frozen shut once again, I decided to check to see if there were other complaints. Yes there were...many. I had to pay to have the handle replaced but was told that the door freezing shut was a typical complaint.

- Waitsfield, VT, USA