2004 Toyota Sienna brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 232016

The vsc traction control system activates on it's own. Driving the van it automatically comes on and brakes the van, dashboard light and beeping noise comes on. Brakes you automatically causing the van to veer to the right. This malfunctioning devise with the yaw system is continuing after many trips to the local Toyota dealer. They currently have the van and are replacing part after part and the problem still persists. Contacted Toyota headquarters and filed a complaint with them but they say there is no recall on this van. Checked on line and found many other Toyota Sienna owners who are experiencing the same issues as we are. This is a dangerous safety hazard which can cause an accident. As of today's writing the problem has not been diagnosed by Toyota.

- Redding, CA, USA

Aug 152016

When turning in a slight curve on dry surfaces the anti skid control mechanism is activated and the car begins to turn a hard right, it begins to automatically slow down and the internal beeping sound is activated. It is very hard to control the van when it happens and with the automatic slowing of the vehicle if we on a highway I fear we will be rear ended. The internet is full of other 2004 Sienna van owners experiencing the exact same issue. It is very dangerous and scary.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 032016

My family and I were traveling on the highway at approximately 70 mph when the traction control/vehicle stability control activated causing a beeping sound along with the dash icon blinking. This in turn locked up the left front tire. The van violently swerved to the left and I luckily gained control and pulled to the side of the highway. I thought I had just experienced a tire blow out, but to my surprise nothing was amiss. My wife was distraught at what had just occurred considering the consequences if a vehicle had been next to us at the time. Now, driving much slower and white-knuckling the steering wheel, we proceeded to the nearest Toyota dealer which was roughly 20 miles away in asheville, nc. Along the way, the incident occurred two more times. Keep in mind that the skies were sunny and the road dry. Arriving at the dealership we waited while the car was looked over. After five hours we were told they could not find anything wrong. I did not accept this and told them that I found hundreds (if not more) of postings on the internet with people having the same incident. I also informed them that Toyota had redesigned the steering angle sensor (yaw) in 2005 and asked if that could be the problem. The service writer excused himself and twenty minutes later returned with a Toyota service bulletin referring to the sensor. They then ordered the new sensor and we rented a car to continue our trip. Returning five days later to pick up the van, we were told the new sensor was installed and a zero point calibration/alignment performed. I paid the $692 and drove away. My wife and son stayed in the rental car, since the A/C had mysteriously stopped working when the initial incident occurred. While following them home, the traction control/vsc activated a total of four more times. No one knows how to fix this problem. Toyota should recall and fix this.

- Bishop, GA, USA

Jun 172016

At 108190 miles I had the front end aligned. They attached a snap on analyzer and did a code link computer reset. As I left, the vsc light came on and would not turn off in spite of doing a zero point calibration. I took the vehicle to the Toyota dealer where I bought the van new on 5/8/2003, he ran his diagnostics, got no error codes, and claimed that I needed to replace brake actuator assembly at a cost of $2721. Out of warranty. No recall on this model. Too bad. Others have seen this problem on other 2004 Toyota's. the danger is that after the light is on the vehicle may decide to apply hard braking at any time and at any speed. Toyota redesigned the system in 2005. I am concerned that this will happen to me. Toyota recalled some vehicles with this problem with the vsc system in later models, why not the first year of the problem? I have heard that there is a soft recall for this problem.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Jul 042016

The vsc sensor is activating during normal driving conditions without warning. This is causing the van to aggressively apply the brakes and lose acceleration. This issue mainly occurs when turning down while going down hill, however it happens randomly in other instances as well. I have been in several life threatening instances where the brakes are being applied while traveling through mountains with large semi trucks behind me.. nearly causing several accidents. My research points to a few things that could possibly be the culprit: The yaw sensor stearing wheel rotational position sensor vsc computer module this video captures exactly what is happening to my vehicle. Https:// I cannot find any instances where this issue was fixed online

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Jun 172016

Unexpected vehicle stability control activation while driving resulting in automatic braking and unexpected steering pull. I have been experiencing this issue over the past 4-5 years. There have been times where this issue has led to almost striking vehicles around me. I have brought the vehicle to a Toyota dealership, but they have not been able to fix the issue. On several online bulletin boards, other owners of Toyota Sienna have complained regarding the same issue. I just read in the news that similar issues are occurring on 2001-2002 Toyota sequoia.

- Dublin, CA, USA

Apr 302016

My rear door is not working, I have visited two Toyota dealership and they told my the rear lift gate and rear hatch latch both of them needs to be replace. We did that relapacemt. The problem has not being solved, we tried to make the door working manually instead of automatically also this way is not helpful. It looks like we reaching to closed way.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Apr 012016

When driving through a turn (more often at highway speeds) the car traction control activates when there is no emergency. This is always accompanied by beeping, flashing tcs light, and sometimes by emergency braking which slows car and takes it off the intended line creating a dangerous situation for the driver and cars nearby.

- Des Peres, MO, USA

Mar 152014

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stability control warning light and trac warning light illuminated intermittently. As a result, the vehicle decelerated independently. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the cable needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Walnut, CA, USA

Aug 082013

The vehicle stability system activated while travelling 75 mph on the interstate. The car was travelling on a section of road that curved to the left. Due to the braking action induced by the vsc at the highway speed, the car swerved and almost hit vehicles in the other lanes. The car has exhibited this behavior many times, and there are at least two sections of road where I can make it happen at will. Due to the extreme danger of losing control of the car while it is applying the brakes, I have disabled the vsc system, causing loss of anti-lock brakes, vsc, etc. This is a common problem with a lot of complaints on multiple web sites.

- La Vista, NE, USA

Oct 142014

It started a year or so ago the while driving on dry road above 50miles the vsc light would lit with a alarm sound, the van will automatically apply brakes and slow the Sienna. Since this was extra van and we were driving mostly sedans we had and due to business I could not spend any time on it.. now it happens more frequently and it risk our lifes on highway. Upon searching internet various forums came with with problems pertaining only to this year and model, please search (sudden vsc activation) and you will find multiple owner only of 2004 complaining for same issue.. in fact there are to two tsb articles to point to this problem ( tsb-BR001-04 and tsb-BR004-03). I would kindly request to investigate the sudden vsc activation in middle of highway. I have spent money to replace tires, aligment balancing to find the issue is widespread.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Aug 152015

The following has happened several times over the past couple years. The latest 2 times were on a ramp at about 25mph coming off an interstate and at about 65mph an interstate. While cornering to the left a fair amount, but well under control, the vsc started alarming and kicked in. When it kicked in, it caused the vehicle to swerve hard to the right as if it had locked up the brakes on the right side of the vehicle. In both cases, the vehicle swerved into an adjacent lane. Had anything been in that lane or had we been in an outside lane, the vcs would have caused a serious accident. Whatever the cause, the vsc in this vehicle is very dangerous. Over the 12 years we've owned the vehicle, it's unlikely that the vsc has come on more than 5 times. Since it's so rare, we drivers have no experience with the behavior and the vehicle is compliant until the vsc kicks in. When it kicks in, the car has presumably determined that some stabilizing action needs to happen, yet, instead of providing safety - the very purpose of vcs, it unexpectedly locks up the brakes on one side of the vehicle and causes it to swerve out of its lane. Note, the vehicle has recently had a brake job. Under hard braking, the vehicle stays in its line, and does swerve at all, so it's whatever the vsc is doing to "provide stability" that's causing the lockup/swerve issue. Finally, from the internet, a couple quick queries led me to postings by other Sienna owners who'd experienced very similar behavior, so this is not an isolated incident.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Jul 242015

Every time the speed of the car reached 33 mph, the vehicle skid control light would start flashing with a continuous beeping sound. When I continued to drive it and took a turn, the car braked and the steering wheel was not responsive. A very dangerous feeling on the windy roads I live on.

- Willits, CA, USA

Apr 272015

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. While turning the vehicle at various speeds, the electronic stability control light illuminated and the vehicle became very difficult to control. The contact stated that this was a longstanding issue with the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Patterson, NJ, USA

Mar 012013

Sienna 6-cyl

This has been happening regularly for at least two years: Traction control seizes control of car when traveling anywhere from 35-65mph, but it happens most frequently on freeway at about 60mph. The car is usually on a gradual curve but it also happens when the vehicle is traveling on a straightaway. Vehicle becomes difficult to control, steer, accelerate, lights on the dash light up and a terrible noise ensues. One independent mechanic and two Toyota dealers have attempted to troubleshoot the problem and have been unsuccessful. When traction control is manually turned off at engine power-on, the lights still light up showing it is attempting to seize control, and in one instance, control was seized despite the system supposedly being shut down. It is terrifying for the driver as well as any passengers.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 192015

Sienna 6-cyl

Purchased 2004 Sienna xle AWD limited 2/18/15. While commuting to work the traction control system randomly activates in dry conditions (usually on downhill angled turn) causing loss of power, activation of front right brakes, and the steering wheel jerked from my hands (resulting in transient overall loss of control of vehicle). This defect has occurred 6 times in 2 days and I am currently afraid to drive the car, especially with a 3 month old. There have been multiple reports on and other Toyota forums that support this is an ongoing problem with this model/year vehicle. This is a safety defect and the vehicle should be recalled to prevent injury or fatality and to resolve the issue with the tcs. There is no way to turn off the tcs manually and this issue can cause an accident.

- Tahoe City, CA, USA

Dec 292014

Driving along on 210 freeway East bound in pasadena doing 60, the traction control kicked in, the van braked, and the traction control light on dashboard came on with a beeping sound, and the steering wheel shuttered and car lost power. Lasted about 5 seconds and then back to normal. Could have been rear-ended or could have swerved into other lanes. Also happened on 110 fwy northbound in pasadena, 60 mph, on slight turn, same thing happened, traction control kicked in, the van braked, and the traction control light on dashboard came on with a beeping sound, and the steering wheel shuttered and car lost power. I came close to hitting fwy divider and swerving into car in adjacent lane. Roads were dry and no slippage of wheels felt. Took it to dealer wondries Toyota in alhamba, ca twice and were unable to duplicate.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Dec 262014

Sienna 6-cyl

Sudden deceleration of vehicle: 2004 Toyota Sienna xle. The vsc engages, without warning, on smooth, dry roads and when cornering or negotiating a curve. We are the original owners and have never experienced this until the first incident in late Oct. 2014. We did not take any action because although road conditions good, we were rounding a sharp bend in the road and assumed this had something to do with the incident. Vehicle speed was approximately 25 mph as the vehicle suddenly decelerated, the vsc light came on and a rapid beeping alarm sounded. The vehicle pulled to one side and steering the vehicle became extremely difficult. The whole incident, start to finish, lasted approximately 5 seconds. The next incident happened in early December 2014. Again, all the above described things happened, except vehicle speed was approximately 35 mph going around a gentle curve in the road. I did some research and found many complaints concerning this issue but do not see any recommendations or recalls officially issued by Toyota. It appears most of the dealer recommended repairs did not correct the problem. Today (December 26, 2014), this same issue happened five times within 40 minutes. My wife managed to get the vehicle home and we called our local Toyota dealer, described the issue and they informed us they have never received any complaints concerning rapid deceleration of this model year, before our phone call. I've scheduled an appointment for December 30, 2014 to have the vehicle checked out and have recall work done concerning the "shift lock solenoid assembly". will update after appointment.

- Hampton Bays, NY, USA

Nov 072014

Sienna 6-cyl

While driving on interstate vsc warning light came on, beeping and alarms heard. Engine slowed down and I felt like the vehicle was out of control. The vehicle swerved like it was hydroplaning on a dry highway. Called our repair shop immediately. Car was towed and research was done on the history of the problem in other Toyota mini vans. I was told there were reports of this happening in other vehicles but not enough for a recall to be issued by Toyota, recommendation by the report they found was to replace a sensor which is what was done. That was just over a month ago and the same problem occurred again tonight on a side road going approx 30 mph on dry road. Van is back at shop again tonight. I will be calling the 1-800 number for Toyota, I do not understand why there is not a recall on this issue. Both incidences could have resulted in an accident. Tonight I was driving with my child in the van. This issue could have placed her life in danger had there been an accident.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Jul 122013

Sienna 6-cyl

In the early summer of 2013, I was traveling North on I-15, approx 5 minutes to St. George, Utah on a beautiful clear day when the car began to swerve and the yellow skid light came on and the emergency beeping sound alarmed and the car slows down on its own--I no longer have control over accelerating the speed of the car. It frightened and alarmed me and my passengers. Within about 5 seconds the light went off and the alarming beeping sound stopped and now I have control of the speed of the car. I have traveled that road several times since and the same incident has occurred at approx the same spot. However, in 2014, during my travels to and fro on this same highway where the speed limit is 65-75mph, the incident occurs in several other spots along I-15 North and southbound. The skid light and the alarming beeping sound even went off when coming to a stop going approx. 5mph. The indicator light and alarm sound seems to be getting more and more sensitive. The same incident has been occurring this year every day on my way home from work at the same spot on I-215. Even though the speed limit is 65mph, I have to slow down to less than 50mph in order to avoid this occurrence. This creates a very hazardous situation since I am slowing down for apparently no reason to the cars behind me who are traveling at the speed limit.

- Henderswon, NV, USA