2004 Toyota Sienna miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 152009

Dashboards that get sticky, cracked, shiny and melt in heat and humidity.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 152016

The driver's side flap window detached from the metal frame, I cant get my state inspection to pass with this issue, I have my window taped. It is something a cannot fix, it is unbelievable that this could be happening. The fix is very expensive and I have no way to pay for this. If the window falls off completely can cause an accident. It happened when I was driving to work in the highway I suddenly heard as if my windows were open I looked thorugh my rear view mirror and the window was wide appart due to the wind but because it was still attached to the hinge and the shades were hooked to the glass it did not fall off completely.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Mar 012016

My automatic sliding door cable has frayed. I can't use the door now. Somehow I magically got it shut, but now it is completely locked down to try and protect the kids and to keep the van in a usable state (obviously you can't drive around a vehicle whose door won't close). The vehicle was stationary when this happened. It was over a couple of days from when I first heard a strange noise when the door was moving to when it stopped functioning altogether. The last time I tried to close it it had been opened on accident by a babysitter who didn't know and we had to keep pressing the manual open/close button continually and inch it to a closed position, because it kept trying to reopen the door. I have 6 kids, 5 in car seats. I really need to be able to access the babies car seats without climbing into the van. This is ridiculous. We are down to one door. Also it is completely unsafe in the event that an accident were to occur. As a side note the motor seems to be working fine. The cables are the problem

- Coolidge, AZ, USA

Apr 062016

I am currently having a problem with getting a repair on a recall you all investigated Jun 03, 2008 campaign number 08V244000. After contacting a dealership for the repairs I was informed there was no recall and that they could only repair the recalls listed on their website. The corporate office was contacted next where I was told that the above mentioned recall wasn't a "recall" at all but a "customer safety protocol", and even though it had been issued in the past it was no longer available to me due to the original drive date being over 9-10 years ago by the original owner. There are service records indicating that the repair was made in 2009 under warranty. One of the documents listed on your site states that some of the repairs made under warranty may still need to be replaced. When I raise the rear hatch electronically the hatch will raise, pause, and then drop down part way and close the rest of the way without pushing the button to close it. If you are standing under it the door will drop down and hit you in the head.

- Beebe, AR, USA

Jan 112010

Dash is falling apart due to a manufacturing defect. Started out as a sticky and shiny dash that was impossible to clean. Cracks began to appear at about 6 years old and now the dash is falling aparts as more and more cracks appear and pieces start falling off! this car is and has been stored under cover all its life! there are cracks all over the dash, top, bottom, left and right!

- Koloa, HI, USA

Feb 152016

I was driving from a major city highway onto a freeway. I was going 50mph and accelerating to the appropriate freeway speed of 60mph. At that time, I realized my rear wing windows were open (it opens at the rear of the car at an angle of about 1 inch) and I pressed the automatic closure button. I heard a loud ┐pop┐ on the passenger side. I looked back and the window was gone. I pulled over to the side of the highway immediately. A car/Jeep with a family in it pulled up behind me. They were hit by the window coming off of my vehicle. Thank god no one was hurt, but it did cause damage to their vehicle. It shook both them and myself up. A window flying from a car on a highway could have seriously caused damage and injuries. We were very lucky. I called 911 to report that there was window debris on the highway, and told them where it was. That way I would not cause an accident. Prior to this happening, there had never been any problems with our wing windows. At the time of the incident it was just past 9pm, I was going home from work and it was dark. I was accelerating from 50 to 60 on a highway. We live in the greater seattle area so the road conditions are always wet but it was not raining. It was about 55 degrees F outside. My theory about what happened to the window (coming from an engineering student) is that the plastic ball joint separated from its shoulder. The window caught the wind from the acceleration and the hinges were pulled off of their anchor. However, obviously this is only speculation. I have contacted my insurance company and got a quote from the Toyota dealership. Unfortunately, when I contacted Toyota headquarters they were not interested and could not give me an explanation. I decided to contact you because I think there is a safety hazard with this window that should be looked into. Parts shouldn┐T just detach from a vehicle.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Jun 302015

Right passenger door stuck shut. Cables are fine. Left power sliding door will not shut all the way draining battery every day cause the open door light stays on. 130,000 mi. Other then that van runs great in mint condition. Will never buy another Toyota Sienna after the problems with these doors.

- Waterloo, IA, USA

Jan 012014

Right side power door cable frayed over a period of time and then broke rendering the right door useless. Cannot open and close it. This is a safety issue if someone needs to exit the vehicle in the event of an emergency.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Jan 222016

Traction control sensor problem, 2004 Toyota Sienna xle, approx 128,000-133,000 miles. Safety issue: While driving within the posted speed limits of 35-45 mph the van has seized up (slows down on it's own without warning) as an internal alarm simultaneously sounds (the first time it happened I didn┐T know the van had an internal alarm). This has happened four times, (Sept. And October 2015, and twice this week 1/18/16 and 1/22/16). Each time the vehicle was traveling on dry streets with the exception of the last episode. After the first episode I took the van to our mechanic on the day of occurrence; we took a 10 minute test drive where he ran diagnostic test however no problems were detected. The second time it happened our mechanic did some research and found out it was a traction control sensor fail. After today's episode I will have the sensor disengaged as we have had the van 12 + years and have not had a need for the traction control to take over. This is not only dangerous but very scary for the driver and passengers. Please Toyota, get this problem fixed.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Jan 182016

- current mileage: 101,856 - concern 1: Toyota Sienna door check spot weld failure *driver's side front door was making loud noise, so I had it repaired at a repair shop around Jan 15, 2015 at 98,985 mileage and paid $224.56. *same problem came back after little less than 1 year at 102,000 mileages. * youtube link with similar issue - - concern 2: dashboard has been cracking for a couple of years now

- La Palma, CA, USA

Jan 312015

Toyota Sienna door check spot weld failure - driver's side front door was making loud noise, so I had it repaired at a repair shop around Jan 15, 2015 at 98985 mileage and paid $224.56. Same problem came back after little less than 1 year at 102,000 mileage. Youtube link with similar issue -

- La Palma, CA, USA

Jul 012012

My dashboard has been cracking for a couple of years now. The heat has been causing it to bubble up and crack.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Dec 092015

Bought 4 new Goodyear viva 2 tires in 2014 at walmart in haines city, Florida just had my 2nd blowout due to sidewall separation at 55 mph. Balanced tires and check pressures always. Faulty product - walmart not willing to warranty said it's a manufacturers problem. Please investigate this tire.

- Lake Alfred, FL, USA

Jul 252006

When negotiating moving into traffic at slow speeds, when a small amount of accelerator movement is made the vehicle rapidly accelerates making it necessary to quickly apply the brakes to avoid collision. The vehicle was purchased used from a dealer and there was a recall bulletin (tech service bulletin issued 11/7/2003 for 04-05 Sienna bulletin no TC007-03 out on the engine control module. When pointed out to the dealer they simply stated that that recall was only available to the original purchaser and then only if reported within the first three months after purchase. Was told by two dealers that the recall did not apply to our vehicle and later that a recall was not issued for that problem. ( I have a copy of the origional recall notice stating the above problem)

- Catonsville,, MD, USA

Sep 012015

2004 Toyota Sienna drivers side door broken. Internal door asymbly broke inside door. Door hinges also broke. Dealer said it would cost $2000 to fix. Auto body shop repaired for $300. This was a safety issue and Toyota should recall.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Sep 012015

2004 Toyota Sienna right side rear power door will not close. Opens half way and then must be manually closed. Cable broken. Causes safety concern for passengers in rear seats ability to exit car in emergency. My grandchildrens lives are precious to me!

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Jul 012010

Received a "warranty enhancement" ltr from Toyota in May 2015 stating that they would replace cracked dashboards over the next "several months". our dealer said they may not have the dashboards until end of 2016. Was there a deadline agreed upon to replace?

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Sep 102015

The cable snapped and the door will not close

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Sep 012012

The leather dashboard of my 2004 Toyota Sienna has developed large horizontal cracks from one side of the vehicle to the other. There are also vertical cracks from the top to the bottom of the dashboard. My concern is that these cracks will allow large pieces of the dashboard to become projectiles in the event of an accident, which will cause the front airbags to deploy. I do not know why these cracks developed, since the vehicle was well maintained. This is a potential safety hazard that should be repaired or replaced at Toyota's expense, since the cracking of the dashboard appears to be a recurring problems with this model.

- Destrehan, LA, USA

Aug 132013

Since 2010, the dashboard of our 2004 Sienna has been experiencing cracks and splits due to an unknown quality issue. My concern is that in an event of a collision, these pieces will more easily come apart to become a fragmented projectiles and increase the probability of serious injury. Additionally, they may also impact the condition and operation of the passenger-side airbag. It is obvious this issue is the result of substandard quality in the dashboard material. The vehicle is parked in a garage almost all the time. When it's not in the garage, a custom made window screen is used that fits the window perfectly. Furthermore, the vehicle currently has about 42K original miles. I did some online research and found that many others were experiencing the same issue. I contacted Toyota's usa headquarters (ca) on August 13, 2013 to request a repair (since the cost was >$1000). They told me I needed to take the car in at my expense to get it checked. If they were found to be at fault, they might help offset some of the cost; otherwise, I would have to pay for the inspection and any other repairs. We couldn't afford the repairs and didn't trust that Toyota wouldn't force us to pay anyway. Approximately January 2015, we received a letter from Toyota acknowledging the issue and stating that it would be addressed by the end of May 2015. I contacted them on June 1, 2015 and was told that the parts weren't available and to check back in a couple months. I contacted them again on September 4, and again was told that the parts weren't available and to contact them again in October. I contacted our local dealership and was told that I could save money by waiting for Toyota to handle it, implying they could get the parts. This appears to be a safety issue that Toyota is not addressing. I would like to have this issue fixed asap to ensure the safety of my family!

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA