2004 Toyota Sienna seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 012016

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the front driver side seat belt failed to properly restrain her. While driving and while also in park, the seat belt would release and unsecured the contact. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the seat belt assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 113,310.

- Athens, GA, USA

Apr 262016

Sienna

Front passenger side seat belt gets jammed where it comes out of pillar. Won't retract or pull out. I have to remove trim and pull it loose from inside. This has happened many times over the last several years and if you google it you will find many hits on this.

- Sunset Beach, NC, USA

Apr 082016

Sienna

Toyota has offered a warranty extension on defective driver/passenger seatbelt mechanism, however, when I visited the dealer and after they have confirmed that my seatbelts are defective, they cannot provide an estimate on when the parts needed for repair would be available. I opened a case with Toyota corporate, however, after numerous phone calls and promises for callback and resolution they have not returned a single phone call. This is a safety issue and needs to be addressed asap not after someone dies in an accident due to defective seatbelts. Symptoms include seatbelts not retrieving, getting stuck, and overall not advancing in or out requiring that they be loose when driving. Seatbelts are getting stuck at different times, but most frequently when being operated such as extended or retracted. Once the seatbelt is stuck, it's very difficult to get it going again such that my spouse had to drive home on a few occasions without the seatbelt. Toyota knows about this issue, but is not doing anything to fix it.

- La Crescenta, CA, USA

Feb 012015

Sienna

Front seat belts fail to retract back. I spend atleast 15 mins to retract it back with pliers each time it happens. Huge safety issue as my family with kids use the van. The issue is happening since I bought the van (used) in jan2015 and it happened again today 4/12/2016

- Lake Bluff, IL, USA

Feb 082016

Sienna

The problem: Front seat belts intermittently fail to retract. This issue has been observed to occur when getting into the car and fastening the seatbelt. This issue occurs infrequently but repeatedly. Toyota has provided a "warranty enhancement" for this problem. However, the problem cannot be duplicated "on demand" at the dealership (Toyota of puyallup), so the dealership is refusing to fix the problem. I have repeatedly explained to the dealership and Toyota corporate that the issue is intermittent and cannot be duplicated "on demand", and Toyota corporate has in fact affirmed that the issue is indeed "intermittent." But they still refuse to replace the seatbelt mechanism with an updated version that purportedly remedies the problem, simply because the issue cannot be duplicated at the time when the car happens to be at the dealership for servicing. My concern here is that seatbelts are (obviously) an integral facet of passenger restraint during an accident, so I'm perplexed as to why Toyota is unwilling to fix a problem that would appear to be related to passenger safety and is -- by their own admission -- known to be intermittently duplicable.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Jul 282015

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V429000 (power train) and 05V327000 (seat belt) and stated that the parts needed for the repairs were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Part distribution disconnect.

- Guayanilla, PR, USA

Jan 272016

Sienna

The front driver's side seat belt has a tendency to fold over and get jammed in the slot where it retracts. A quick seach online has found many owners with this similar issue. When this issue occurs, it pretty much leaves us in an unprotected and dangerous state. Surprisingly, what appears to be a similar problem has prompted a recall for the second row passenger seats, but not for the front driver's side. Based on the numerous customer complaints online, it appears Toyota's only solution is to have customers replace the seatbelt system for hundreds and hundreds of dollars. In regards to this kind of safety concern, I as the consumer feel that Toyota should be responsible to replace this obvious design flaw/or production defect immediately by issuing a recall particularly for the driver's side front. I'm urging investigation into this so that a solution can be obtained, before it is too late, and someone is seriously injured in the event of an emergency or accident. The seat belt seems to fold over too easily when seat belt is pulled a little faster (not to be confused with the click and stop, which is how all seat belts are designed). This is seemingly a regular occurance now in my case, and for the affected Sienna owners, we can't keep taking the car back to the dealership, or taking the inner panel out to fix ourselves (which is what I've been doing), every other day. Please issue a recall for this, as I am sure many owners will be very grateful for this. Thank you.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Dec 052011

Sienna

Drivers seatbelt fold over and becomes stuck in its retraction slot. Seatbelt is unusable. I need to drive without a seatbelt. Unable to fix by self. I then need to take to dealer or mechanic to have seatbelt untwisted. This has occurred numerous times over the past 3-5 years. [internet search finds numerous persons complaining about this issue for 2004 Sienna].

- Armonk, NY, USA

Sep 202014

Sienna

The front passenger seat belt got stuck in loose condition so it is unsafe for anyone to sit in the front passenger seat.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jul 072014

Sienna

The driver side seatbelt twists and gets stuck in the bezel. This has happened several times and I have been able to fix it after working on it for a few minutes but today it happened again and I was unable to fix it and am forced to drive without a drivers seatbelt!!! I have only owned this car for three weeks and have had this seat belt get stuck after normal use at least 6 times.

- Spartanburg, SC, USA

Jul 032014

Sienna 6-cyl

The driver's side seatbelt gets folded up and cannot retract. This was a safety issue because I had to drive with no effective seatbelt until I could get home and fix it. This is not the first time this has happened. Once I took it to get fixed but recently I learned how to fix it myself. This required tools and about 30 minutes to complete. If this happens again when I am not at home or don't have time to fix it, I'll be in the same unsafe situation again. Please issue a recall.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

May 132014

Sienna 6-cyl

The driver side seatbelt gets jammed and cannot be used. This has happened multiple times and renders the vehicle unusable.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Feb 032014

Sienna 6-cyl

Both front seat belts fail to retract, remaining much too loose to provide safety to passenger. I have been able to fool with the mechanism in various ways and get the seatbelt working again until today -- 3-28-14. Driver's side is fully extended, folded over, and there is no way to get it unfolded and reactivate the retracting now that it is fully extended. I have actually been fussing with this on and off for a couple of years, but in the last month it is constant. I looked for a solution online and discovered it is a very common problem for Sienna owners. All agree that once the belt is all the way out, it cannot be fiddled with enough to fix it.

- Moon Twp., PA, USA

Mar 262014

Sienna 6-cyl

I love this vehicle, but the drivers side seatbelt periodically sticks. I've tried pulling more belt out, often running out of belt and not being able to get unstuck initially. Sometimes the belt has folded over, but not in all instances. I have often had to use needle nose pliers to grip, pull and/or flip the belt over if folded. Often this takes 10 minutes to correct. This has happened when I'm not at home, and I've had to drive home with no seat belt. This is a consistent problem, and one my Tundra, avalon and echo do not experience. I am an avid Toyota owner, still owning 3 of 4 I've bought. Toyota should resolve this issue as it seems from the online community that seat belts 'locking' is a persistent issue.

- Seabeck, WA, USA

Mar 202014

Sienna 6-cyl

On the day I purchased this (used) vehicle, I noticed that the driver's side seatbelt would not retract. After examining the seat belt I noticed that it had folded in on itself and was jammed at the site of where it retracts. I could see that belt was not only folded on itself from the outside, but also past the plastic hardware and behind the casing. I could not unfold the belt with my hands because the folded part of the belt was inside the plastic, which I believe is where the trouble was occurring. I had to drive home with a loose seatbelt (as I had pulled it out while trying to get it to retract) and use a pair of pliers to untwist the folded part. This has happened every single day since I purchased this vehicle 6 days ago. I called my Toyota dealer who said there is a seat belt recall for the second row seat belt, for the same problem, however, there is no recall for the driver's side and therefore they could not fix the problem. It is a big problem when I am out in public and cannot get the seatbelt unfolded. I am forced to drive my vehicle back home without the ability/protection of using a seatbelt.

- Washburn, ME, USA

Feb 032014

Sienna

The front seat belts on both the driver's side and the passenger's side will not retract. Once extended, they get stuck in the extended position, making the seat belt restrain system completely inoperable. The seat belt will click into the lock mechanism, but the belt is completely loose, and the retract/lock system does not work. This is an unsafe condition. I researched online to try to fix this problem myself, and I found hundreds of other complaints exactly like this one, each with varying mileage on their 2004-2010 model year Siennas. Its one of the most popular selling minivans, don't you think Toyota should fix this safety issue??

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Sep 102013

Sienna 6-cyl

In just normal use, without ever having been involved in a collision causing the seatbelt to restrain a passenger, the seat belt on the front passenger side over extends and folds. The belt will not retract and causes the passenger seat to be unusable. The fold is nearly impossible to remove and the belt remains extended. This has happened numerous times over the course of owning the vehicle, to many different passengers.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Aug 012011

Sienna 6-cyl

The front passenger seatbelt has a tendency to twist when retracting. I've seen online that this is a common problem with Toyota Siennas. I've read that some people iron and starch their seatbelts - but heat/melting is a terrible solution.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Aug 012013

Sienna 6-cyl

Belt on driver side repeatedly jams when retracting.

- Moraga, CA, USA

Feb 012013

Sienna

The seat belt has managed several times become twisted/jammed up in the retractor portion of the seat belt. If an accident were to happen in this vehicle the seat belt would fail to operate as it is intended, which I feel would result in serious injury. I would like to have our seat belt fixed at the cost of Toyota.

- Ames, IA, USA