2005 Toyota Sienna drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sienna:

2005 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

May 112016

When I shift to parking position the vehicle continue running. You could run over a person or a kid by accident.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Feb 032015

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V273000 (tires) and 13V429000 (power train) and stated that the parts needed for the repair were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Hezleton, PA, USA

Oct 092015

The door check was replaced by Toyota for previous owner.the door welds are broke and pops and the door check has broken plastic.Toyota replaced the spark plugs, but just the front. Front were denso and back were ngk. Local dealer says they do not mix plugs. Local dealer says they will inspect the shifter and leave it when the recall says they will replace it. On the dash, it was also fixed by the dealer because it melted. I was told by local dealer I had until 2024 to get it fixed when actually it goes out in 2017. I am being misled on purpose so they do not have to fix their problems. No one is watching them and letting them do what ever they want no matter you spend over $40,000 plus for their trash they will not stand behind. If their is a factory defect it should be an automatic recall because they cannot be trusted to do the right thing. Lets wake up and help the people being taken advantage of. It happened when Toyota put a new door check in it.they have the records and it was on my carfax. I bought it like it is being told the dealer would honor their letter. They refused to fix it and I am still waiting on the dash. They do not have any and time will run out before they get to mine just like the door. It swings wide open nothing to stop it. The shifter I will just live with it because if they can't be trusted to change all your plugs, can you trust them to do any work to your Toyota not buy Toyota because they do not care about you, just selling their cheap cars!

- Southport, FL, USA

Sep 262013

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V429000 (power train) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Dec 172014

I noticed a clunking noise when turning into a parking spot. It also felt like my van was diving into the parking spot. I took my van into Toyota for another reason and was told at the time it was leaking at the rack and needed a new drive shaft and boot to the tune of 1200 dollars. We are still debating what to do and are very disappointed in Toyota. We purchased this vehicle based on Toyota's reputation for quality but have found this vehicle particularly repair prone. We have already replaced the radiator, parking brake and had a very expensive serpentine belt replacement due to the Fusion of dissimilar metals. It seems to me that Toyota's engineers should have understood the consequences of designing a vehicle with dissimilar metals that come into direct contact. We have never owned such a repair prone vehicle.

- Endwell, NY, USA

Dec 062013

Sienna 6-cyl

The transmission in our 2005 Toyota Sienna xle failed at about 110K miles.

- Sammamish, WA, USA

Sep 212011

2005 Toyota Sienna. Consumer writes in regards to shift lock solenoid assembly recall issues. The consumer stated he was getting the run-around for reimbursement. A letter was sent to the consumer, advising him, he was not eligible for reimbursement, under the special service campaign.

- Bluffton, SC, USA

Jun 012014

Sienna 6-cyl

My 5 yr old daughter was sitting in the driver's seat and my almost 10 yr old son was sitting in the passenger seat. I was standing right next to the driver's seat inside the open door, the car was parked in my driveway. My son for some reason decided to shift the car out of park. The key was not in the ignition and nobody was pressing on the brake. The minivan started to roll a few feet back and I screamed and luckily he put it back into park and it stopped. This is a defect in the shift lock solenoid that was recalled. I received a recall notice a few months back and I took my minivan to a Toyota dealership less than a month ago for this to be fixed, apparently something went very wrong.

- White Oak, PA, USA

Mar 282014

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number:13V429000 (power train) and stated that the parts were not available. An authorized dealer was contacted and provided an unreasonable date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the unreasonable time frame for repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Ramsey, NJ, USA

Feb 032014

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the contact depressed the accelerator pedal and the vehicle rapidly accelerated. The contact shifted into drive and then into neutral and was able to stop the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the mechanic could not diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Glenview, IL, USA

May 012013

Sienna 6-cyl

Shifter of automatic transmission suddenly became loose while driving. It started to wiggle unpredictably left and right between gears, e.g. 4 and D. it would not stay firmly put in P(ark), and when in P, removal of the key from the ignition became difficult or impossible.

- West Lafayette, IN, USA

Nov 262012

Sienna 6-cyl

While parked in the driveway, keys are not in the ignition, no brake pedal, accelerator pressed, can shift the transmission shift knob with little wiggle in the drive, reverse neutral etc. Position. This is serious in my opinion.

- Macungie, PA, USA

Jun 112012

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked when a small child shifted the vehicle from park to neutral with minimal force. As a result, the vehicle rolled forward and crashed into a trailer. There were no injuries reported. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 88,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Dec 242011

Sienna 6-cyl

While driving West in I-88 in New York, between exits 1 and 2, our rear end completely locked up. We were able to get the car onto the shoulder, but in doing so, we hit the concrete wall causing some body damage.

- Chenango Forks, NY, USA

Apr 302011

Toyota Sienna le van was placed in park, turned off and keys removed. The gear shift was able to be moved out of the park position into drive by a 7 year old child. The van rolled approximately 400-500 feet and hit another vehicle and a tree. After a quick google search, I discovered a video posted by another Toyota Sienna owner which demonstrated if you gently wiggle the gear shift, it will easily move into any gear, with no keys or pedals pressed. I can recreate the issue every time. Serious safety issue and I want to prevent the injury or worse to another child. I have an open case with Toyota, however awaiting their inspection/ response.

- Glen Rock, NJ, USA

Apr 012010

Sienna 6-cyl

Our 2005 Toyota Sienna took off on us in rush hour traffic. Moving my foot to the brake and my husband shifting into neutral was the first thing we tried, we also tried park and reverse, and turning off the cruise control, none of which worked. The Toyota Sienna death trap continued to accelerate rapidly even though my foot was jammed on the brake (I didn't remove my foot from the brake for another 2 1/2 hrs until the tow truck pulled in front of us. By the way, when your vehicle is suddenly traveling much, much faster than anyone else's vehicle on the road, it's all you can do to not hit someone. Believe me, I was suddenly swerving in and out of the lanes and cutting everyone off. The only thing that stopped our Toyota death trap was pulling the key from the ignition, certainly not ideal in rush hour traffic. While this was going on, our son was in the backseat calling 911, while our daughter cried. We don't have a lawyer and Toyota won't fix our van. What are we supposed to do with it?

- Lone Tree, IA, USA

Feb 122008

Sienna 6-cyl

Purchased Toyota Sienna 2005. Problem with slipping transmission and low gears and on highway in slow traffic. The management of dealership told me it is normal and advised to get use to that. When I show him printouts of number of complains from the internet by Sienna owners he admitted that his wife is having same problem with her minivan. After four visits to a dealership nothing was done to correct problem.

- Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA