2005 Toyota Sienna electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sienna:

2005 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Feb 122010

Sienna

The electronic throttle control system on my van is malfunctioning and it puts the vehicle in "fail safe" mode. The local Toyota dealer as well as Toyota customer service do not want to investigate this recurring problem for the dtc P0121. The dealers do not analyze the freeze frame data or investigate the problem beyond reading the code from obd II scanner. I had asked them for the electrical values for the throttle valve motor and the accelerator pedal but they have refused that information and want me to replace the throttle body by spending $1200. The first time this problem started when the vehicle had 50,000 miles and I replaced the throttle body from same year and model vehicle with 20,000 miles. Now after 10,000 miles same problem has started again and the dealer as well as Toyota want me to replace the throttle body. I feel that the throttle body or the gas pedal in conjunction with other electrical components are causing the dtc code and merely replacing the throttle body second time will not fix the problem unless the newer throttle bodies are without the problem original throttle bodies had. In that case I should not have to pay for the replacement part. It is important that the problem is investigated and identified before any parts are replaced. I also offered Toyota the original throttle body from the vehicle for testing / checking for the problem but they refused my offer. This sudden loss of drivebility due to the activation of "fail safe" mode is dangerous and could result in accident and / or fatality. Any help in this matter will be appreciated.

- Apollo Beach, FL, USA

Jan 052010

Sienna

After I read the article about apple Inc. Co-founder steve "woz" wozniak's experience about his 2010 prius, I was relieved somewhat from my own doubt and confusion. I bought a used 2005 Sienna xle limited (with radar sensor) last November with 95000 mileage. It accelerated unintentionally several times when I was using cruise control with only single push of the acceleration handle. I once let the car went up to 90 mph before I braked it off from the cruise control mode. The acceleration was very powerful when it malfunctioned. All happened in several seconds. You could hear the engine revering loudly towards full speed. I had no problem to brake it off every time though. I also believe it is an electronic or software problem since none of my feet was on any pedal when this happened and there was no floor mat issue at all.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Mar 012009

Sienna

2005 Toyota Sienna has a passenger side power sliding door that has gone through the stages of sticking, rubbing against the body and rubber stripping around windows, and now, working at all through the power button option (or the remote) -- only way to get it open is via the door handle. This seems to be a recurrent problem in a number of Toyota Sienna but the manufacturer has not issued a recall so far. I deem this a safety issue because the door fails to close many many times and the driver has to get out of the vehicle to close the door in frustration and that can create unsafe situations.

- Allen, TX, USA

Jan 192008

Sienna

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact noticed that the vehicle made a noise when she turned the ignition on, off and when she opened and closed the electronic windows. She also noticed a noise when turning the steering wheel with much resistance. The contact has experienced the failures since January 2008. The dealer told her that they could find nothing wrong. She had not called the manufacturer to-date. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The current mileage is approximately 32219. The failure mileage was approximately 15,000. Updated 3/16/10 the consumer stated the electronic device used to closed the trunk was defective. Updated 05/10/10

- Duarte, CA, USA

Apr 212009

Sienna

2005 Toyota Sienna van - sliding door failure (driver's side). Dealer says it is a broken motor & cables. Vehicle has only 41,000 miles on it (warranty expired at 36,000). Dealer wants to charge me $2,000. Searching the internet I found hundreds of posts from people with similar problems. This is a problem that Toyota knows about and should recall as they did with both the rear hatch struts and both front door hinges. I just had my vehicle in the shop last month for both of these fixes.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Mar 252009

Sienna

Spontaneous failure of electrical system involving brakes. At 43560 miles, the brake electrical has shorted causing failure of the gear release and all brake lights. Fuses instantaneously blow once brakes are applied. Lights and body wiring are ok, the failure seems to be in the ribbon wiring harness. Brake functions remain, no brake lights (potential accident).

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Jan 102009

Sienna

I have a 2005 Sienna that I purchased about 3 years ago. For about two years it has had the problem of not closing. At first it would only close every now and then, and now it won't open or close at all. When the weather is cold, neither of the sliding door will open unless you climb in the front and kick it open. I've taken it into the sandy, Utah dealership about 5 different times to have them check it out and they said nothing was wrong with it. I'm about to take it in again because now it won't work at all, so I did a little research to find out if there was a recall or if others had the same problem. To my surprise there are numerous people having the same problem with their 2004-2006 Sienna's. why then is there no recall" why are people getting the run around from dealerships, poor service and being charged a mint to repair the door? why is this product and service such poor quality"

- Draper, UT, USA

Jan 232009

Sienna

1) battery drains dead only less than 30 minutes of power on (either side door left open, headlight not turned off completely, interior light on, etc.) which never happened with previous Toyota I owned. In three years I own this model, I had to jump charge my battery at least 10 times in different occasions due to above. 2) automatic headlight feature does not turn off the headlight when engine is turned off, draining battery. 3) driver side rear sliding door does not open sometimes using remote key, inside control, or outside door handle 4) both side rear sliding doors sometimes do not open all the way using the outside door handle 5) both side rear sliding doors would not open when outside temperature is below freezing.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jan 012009

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the passenger side sliding door would not open in the vehicle. There is a button in the vehicle that automatically opens the sliding doors, but it is no longer working. The warranty already expired when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that the motor and clutch assemblies failed. The vehicle was repaired, but the contact was unable to explain exactly what was done to the vehicle. The vehicle is no longer experiencing the failure, but she believes that this should have been covered as a manufacturer defect. The current and failure mileages were 35,523. Updated 2/9/09 updated 02/13/09.

- East Hanover, NJ, USA

Feb 202006

Sienna

I have a complaint about Sienna's vsc system. It overreacts suddenly and at too much a rate, in an anticipated little skidding that had been easily corrected manually in my previous experience with other cars. I have a 2005 Sienna le AWD. It comes with vsc, ABS, trac. I was cornering a 30 mph left turn with the van going 35 mph on highway 431 in Nevada. It was down hill, so I was using low gear (3) to apply engine braking. It was not snowing. The road was dry without snow. On the side of the road, there were some gravels/salts. The van veered to the right a bit as I was making a wide turn. It went off the lane about 1 or 2 feet onto the shoulder, but still on pavement. On the shoulder, the front wheels skidded by a very little amount, which is anticipated and normal in my driving experience and had always been handled with ease. However, the vsc kicked in suddenly, causing the van to turn to the left tightly and at a very fast rate, into the opposite lane on the undivided 2-lane highway. It all happened in a blink of eyes. Fortunately, there was no traffic in the opposite lane, and I was alert enough to quickly steer the van back to my lane, avoiding hitting the mountain on the left. The vsc light did come on in few other occasions, but the van was never out of my control in those cases. From my past driving experience of 20 years (many of which were with snow), I really feel this is an overcorrection by the vsc by a huge amount. I am starting to feel very uncomfortable that such vsc reaction can't be reduced (e.g., to a slower and lesser rate) or completely turned off. It's winter time again and I am going to ski with my family. It reminds me that I have not filed this complaint yet and that I will have to be driving nervously, who knows when vsc is to kick in again, by how much amount, or at what rate.

- Mountain View, CA, USA

Feb 282005

Sienna 6-cyl

Two complaints 1. one the rear doors do not latch in the open position when the windows are open resulting in injury to children's hands. 2. auto shut-off for interior lights does not work resulting in dead battery.

- Sauk City, WI, USA