2005 Toyota Sienna seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sienna:

2005 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

May 012008

Sienna

Front seat belts. Both driver side and passenger side, passenger side more frequent. During retract belt folds on itself and then gets jammed. Very difficult to clear. Multiple times we have been forced to move rider to back seat or fore-go use of seat belt. Dealer has fixed two times and claims there is no class problem, will not fix again. Dealer claims we must be doing something wrong, we have been using cars for thirty years without this issue.

- Boise, ID, USA

Apr 142008

Sienna 6-cyl

After 2 visits to an atlanta-area Toyota dealer in response to NHTSA campaign 05V-327(50L), the dealer was unable to correct the problem. The middle row passenger seat belt continues to bind in the new bezel, and any passenger using the seat belt is not properly restrained. After speaking with Toyota corporate about the problem in 2007, they were unwilling to take further action on the issue. The belt has bound in the bezel 50 or more times since then.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Apr 162005

Sienna

We purchased our 2005 Sienna XLS on April. Since then we have had problems with the second row seat belts"catching" in the slide for the seat belt connector. They fabric seems to be too lightweight or something because it folds over on itself and then gets stuck in the slide. This has happened numerous times during both the buckling and unbuckling processes.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Apr 152005

Sienna 6-cyl

I have precisely the same complaint as you have been investigating and that Toyota has already (apparently) successfully escaped criticism for in PE05008. In April 2005, I alerted my dealer to the fact that the lap belt harness clip in the rh 2nd-row seat of my 2005 7-passenger Sienna always caught or jammed the belt at the separation point of the holder whenever a passenger was seated there. When an adult noticed it and tried to retract the belt manually, it would sometimes retract but on other occasions pull the clip apart. I explained that I am most concerned when either a young person rides there without being aware of the problem or its significance or when even an adult rides there and has not become aware (in the event of an accident at precisely that point). The service manager indicated he had never heard of that problem nor had a similar complaint (something I now find very hard to believe). A promise was made the the Toyota field rep would call in a few days. Rather, in a few weeks, only after I complained to Toyota, I heard from amy schwartz who indicated she recorded my complaint but that Toyota would not be taking any further action with regard to the complaint. Not once did she indicate there had been a case opened already. Please pursue this and get Toyota's attention before there is a serious injury or fatality. It is very obvious to me that a simple fix, as I have applied to my own clip, would suffice from strictly a safety standpoint, but it would seem that Toyota S\hould come up with a more elagant and permanent solution. I simply glued the clip closed and put a 2-inch wide and 5 inch long strip of smooth packaging tape over the fron of the clip (covering the division or split point), thereby removing any point where the belt could catch.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA