2006 Toyota Sienna seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Sienna:

2006 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 9 of 13)

Oct 312011

Sienna 6-cyl

We have owned '06 Sienna for many years and have enjoyed the comfort and safety that it provides but we have been faced with an unusual problem with SRS airbag system that seems to be a major safety issue. Upon investigating the issue online, this appears to be a very common and a wide-spread problem. == the vehicle SRS warning light comes on and keeps blinking when vehicle is first turned on. It remains on or blinking entire time the vehicle is driven. This happens for no apparent reason or fault of the driver and there is no explanation anywhere as to why this happens. Once this fault occurs, the vehicle is no longer safe to drive. Toyota dealers have diagnosed this issue with dtc B0111/0116 and verified this to be a warning light indicating a problem with airbag system. They have also confirmed that the airbags will not deploy in the event of an accident. Once diagnosed with this problem, majority of times the customers are faced with hundreds or thousands of dollars in out-of-pocket expense for the repairs. The repair seems to be anywhere from bad connector for SRS sensor to bad wiring harness to complete replacement of front/side airbag system. == these vehicles clearly violate basic federal safety standards 201, 202, 203, 208 & 214. If this issue has been reported on numerous vehicles and if fault occurs for no apparent reason then there is obviously a defect in the material or the way this airbag safety is designed. Toyota has a service bulletins out for this issue but no recall. This is unacceptable by any vehicle safety standards. This issue needs to be investigated and the vehicles recalled by Toyota as a defective or non-functioning airbag system is a major safety defect and could result in serious injury or death.

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Oct 312010

Sienna 6-cyl

I wanted to report that my 2006 Sienna with 97,070 miles came up with a B011 code for the front passenger airbag and wire harness. To my total shock I was quoted 2,900 to fix the problem at my local dealership. After further investigation I have found that this seems to be a recurring problem with this make and model. I called the customer service area of Toyota and had a non committal response from them. The standard canned answer. That there was no recall on this issue. I would have further expected that with the past safety issues Toyota had that would have looked into this.

- Youngsville, NC, USA

Sep 112011

Sienna 6-cyl

Our SRS warning light came on during a road trip at approximately 63,000. The dealership stated that this code B011, is the right front airbag and the wiring harness needs to be replaced at a cost of $2400 and about 3 days of labor. Of course our extended warranty does not cover this, either. It is possible that the air bag will not deploy if we are in an accident. Toyota customer service only documented my complaint, and would not tell me if there is any investigation related to this issue since each case is confidential. I see multiple complaints related to this exact same issue. How many complaints does it take before Toyota is forced to do something about it. Seems like this has got to be a manufacturing defect. We have never been in an accident. Our van is kept in a garage and I feel we've taken good care of it. I really wanted this vehicle to last for many more years, but this is very concerning to me and I question we will ever purchase another Toyota, given their poor publicity lately.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Oct 262011

Sienna 6-cyl

The airbag indicator light came on in my 2006 Toyota Sienna. I went on line to see what it could possibly be. To my surprise I read that there have been numerous complaints about this same issue. Apparently there is a problem with the airbag that requires repair that also involves the wiring harness. The fault code is B0111. There is a service bulletin (tsb 0162-10) regarding this problem. The frustrating part for me and many of the other 2006 Sienna owners who have filed complaints is that this issue happens just after the Toyota restraint system warranty expires at either 60 months or 60K miles. My 60 months expired exactly 16 days before the light came on and now Toyota is telling me that my warranty is expired and it may not be covered. The cost of the repair is between $2000 and $3000. This problem renders the airbags useless. I don't understand how this is an ongoing problem for 2006 Toyota Sienna owners and a safety recall has not been imposed. This seems like a systematic failure built into the system to generate repairs and revenue. Something needs to be done about this!

- Livermore, CA, USA

Aug 012011

Sienna 6-cyl

In August 2011, the airbag indicator light came on in our 2006 Toyota Sienna. I took the vehicle to a Toyota dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the following error code was reported: B0111 (open in side squib - rh). I was advised to replace the right side wiring harness and passenger front seat air bag. Total repair cost was quoted at $2,200. I was advised that until the problem is fixed that none of the airbags would deploy. A check online showed that this is a common failing of the 2006 Toyota Sienna. There were numerous complaints from other vehicle owners. The common theme seemed to be that the failure occurred after 60,000 miles. My service technician agreed with me that this wiring harness failure is not the result of normal vehicle "wear and tear". this failure represents a manufacturing / design defect. The Toyota representatives that I spoke with offered no assistance with the repair cost. They advised that a recall had not been issued, and the vehicle was out of warranty, therefore they had no obligation or willingness to assist. Toyota is aware that this is major safety issue with their vehicles, but they have failed to address it. No doubt the financial cost of a recall is a factor in their decision.

- Chatham, IL, USA

Jul 262011

Sienna 6-cyl

Airbag light warning light was flashing, started just after 60K mi. Went to dealer to have diagnosed. B0111, B0116 codes. Computer at dealer states that driver's side wiring squib is defective and needs to be replaced. Seems to be a known issue because repair instructions were available without taking apart my vehicle. Warranty on this part was extended to 60K, but dealer will not cover repair at 61K. Looking into it further, dealership chose not to cover because my vehicle had not been serviced at that dealership (35 miles from my home and over a mountain pass). Only owned vehicle for a year. Quoted price of $2600 to repair. In the meantime, entire airbag system on vehicle is disabled. Part is back-ordered, dealer did not have a sense of when it would be available.

- Livingston, MT, USA

Sep 272011

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph the SRS failure light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken the dealer, but the manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 67,000.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Sep 052011

The airbag warning light lit and did not disappear for about 3 days. Two days later the light appeared again and stayed on. The vehicle was taken in to a Toyota dealer who said that the airbag sensor and airbag were faulty. The vehicle was just a month over 5 years and only had 45000 miles on it! from researching the internet this seems to be an issue for this make and model.

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Sep 122011

Sienna 6-cyl

Air bag light began flashing in my van. Checked manual and was advised to take immediately to dealer for service. Dealership pulled a B0111 code from the van. We were advised it would be approx $4700 for replacing the sensor in the passenger seat air bag and wiring harness. Neither item is covered under warranty and I was recommended by the dealership to contact my private insurance company to cover the item. Private insurance will not cover the issue due to no damage to the vehicle. Our van has 56000 miles and has never been in an accident (thank goodness) or been damaged due to flood, fire, or anything else. My wife was also told of a tsb by the dealer out on air bags for Toyota, but our Sienna did not meet the classification of the tsb. After researching the problem we were told the high costs were due to extensive labor for removing the front end of the car in order to replace the harness. Obviously due to number of complaints on this issue there is a major problem with this harness. The harness seems to be failing at an alarming rate and all shortly after 50000 miles. After all the other problems Toyota had with safety issues it would seem that this would be an issue they would address, but no one at Toyota is giving it much attention.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Sep 062011

Sienna 6-cyl

Van presented a flashing SRS light that remained flashing during operation. Vehicle manual recommendation was to take to dealer. Took vehicle to dealer 9/6/2011. Was informed that code B0111 was pulled during analysis. Vehicle needs driver side airbag replaced and floor wire. Estimated cost $2573.49. Without repair, airbags are inoperable. Toyota issued a tsb (EL001-08) February 27, 2008; however, the tsb did not extend warranty coverage for this failure. No recall has been issued. This is an apparent defect due to the numerous complaints found online.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Jun 012011

Airbag light is on so I had my van looked at, at the dealership and I was told I need a new passenger airbag and harness. Its not under warranty because I have to many miles on my vehicle. Which the mileage has nothing to do with the airbags. Its a safety issue and should be a recall. I've never been in an accident so I don't understand how the airbags could go bad. I also had another mechanic look at my van and he told me that a tbs# came up which means that more than 200,000 people have had the same issue.

- Lakeville, MA, USA

Apr 082008

Sienna 6-cyl

Air bag light flashing since car was new. Dealer found no codes in system and turned light off, said nothing was wrong. Light continued to come on for a month or so and then go off, then repeat the process of coming on and off, for the next few years. Now dealer says it needs a new air bag for $4,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 012011

Sienna 6-cyl

Airbag lights starting flashing on an intermittent basis early in the life of the vehicle. I brought the vehicle in for service under warranty. Repairs were attempted, but the airbag light still would flash intermittently (but often for short periods, say one or two days). In July, 2011, the flashing of the airbag lights went from intermittent to permanent. Dealer quoted a repair estimate in excess of $4,000 and stated the vehicle was no longer in warranty. But the failure of the airbag component(s) has been intermittently evident (through the indicator light) from very early in the life of the vehicle. Warranty repair attempt was unsuccessful, and intermittent of warning light made it impossible to obtain effective service. Toyota refused the consumers request to repair the faulty air bag components (s) in the vehicle. Updated 09/20/11

- Butte, MT, USA

Aug 202011

Sienna 6-cyl

I recently bought a 2006 Toyota Sienna. I hauled my daughter's belongings to college and after we unloaded the van the airbag light came on. I brought it to the dealer since it was a 2006 with 40000 miles on it I thought it would be covered, however since the car was put into service 11/05 it was not covered. They said they had to replace the airbag and wiring harness for $2500. After researching your website I realized there were a total of 102 airbag complaints for that year while all other years combined there were 80 (average 6/model year). I did contact the customer service manager and am waiting for a reply to see what they will cover before I have the repairs. The manager did say there was a service bulletin and does not know if a recall will happen in the future.

- Leola, PA, USA

Jul 122006

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. While the vehicle was parked the contact noticed the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer three times for diagnostic testing. The technicians performed repairs and the air bag warning light was turned off twice under the warranty. The third time the vehicle was taken to the dealer the air bag assembly was replaced at the contacts expense. After the replacement of the air bag assembly, the failure continued to occur. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and suggested the vehicle be taken to a different dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 15,025.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Aug 102011

The airbag indicator light was on in my vehicle. The dealer indicated that the left airbag and harness were defective and that I have to pay for the replacement since the vehicle is no longer under warranty.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 282011

Sienna 6-cyl

Air bag light is continually on. Researching the internet we have found that many other 2006 Toyota Sienna's have the same problem and I feel that it is a safety hazard that Toyota should have recalled before now. We have found that in most cases it will cost thousands of dollars to get it repaired. As senior citizens, we cannot come up with that kind of money. Has a recall been issued, or, is an investigation into this matter been done?

- Stedman, NC, USA

Jul 152011

The contact owns 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact was driving 30 miles per hour when the air bags sensor illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the diagnosis indicated that the floor harness wiring for the front passenger side air bags failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000, and the current was 75,343.

- Reading, MA, USA

May 232011

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the air bag light was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they stated that the failure was located within the wiring circuits of the driver's seat. As a result, the air bags would not deploy in the event of a crash. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 59,000 and the current mileage was 69,999.

- Seabring , FL, USA

Jul 142011

2006 Toyota Sienna air bag light came on and took the car for 60,000 service mentainance at 62,000 and the dealer said passenger side wire has to rewire and quote me 2400 to fix. It it is a wire harness failure, it is a manufacture defect and Toyota has to recall and fix the problem. This is a major safety issue and NHTSA has to follow up the complaints about this.

- Chicago, IL, USA