2008 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Sienna:

2008 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 062015

Sienna

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Sienna. When the vehicle was started, the power sliding door on the passenger side failed and would not open. The contact stated that the door could be opened manually with force. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the power door cable needed to be replaced. The failure recurred with the driver side power sliding door also; however, the door could not be opened at all. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Oct 272014

Sienna

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the sliding doors cable fractured causing the automatic opening and closing of the door to fail. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Princeton, MA, USA

May 302014

Sienna 6-cyl

Both sliding doors are not working properly. They do not latch and stay closed. Both door have opened while vehicle was in motion. Back power sliding door has opened while the vehicle was being driven at least 10 times. The back non-power sliding door is not working either. However, this one we do not use and it has stayed closed most of the time. It has only opened 3 times while driving. This is an extreme danger. Toyota is only covering part of the cost to repair but I was past the 120,000 miles when my problem began. So we are left footing the bill on a defect of Toyota's doing. I feel this is outrageous because it is a huge safety concern.

- Brewster, NY, USA

Sep 092014

Sienna

I pressed the button to open the automatic rear passenger sliding door to put in a shopping bag after leaving a store. The door open, then when I pressed to close the door, it started to close bumped and clanked and reopened and would not close. I had to drive the 16 miles home with the door open. I took it to chatham parkway Toyota in savannah, ga who inspected it and had me retrieve it to take to a collision center for repair. They wouldn't touch it and told me to take it back to the dealer. I took it to savannah Toyota who repaired it at a cost of over $1400 to replace the rear slider assembly and cable assembly. They also advised me that the rear main seal and sub oil pan gasket needed to be replaced, I checked online to see if this was a recall for any reason after hearing of that other's had experienced this problem. This is a documented problem with Toyota with a warranty or recall for model years up to 2007. I called Toyota on October 17th to ask about a reimbursement since the problem is still an existing one with my 2008. Obviously the problem has not been corrected or my van was built using prior years parts. They told me my van was not part of the warranty even though it is the exact same problem as previous years. They offered me $1000 that can be used on another repair which I will need to pay out of pocket then ask for reimbursement. I do need that to help pay the $2400 repair for the real main seal repair. The malfunctioning rear sliding door is a safety concern especially if there are children in the rear seats. Toyota needs to extend this warranty because they have not fixed this problem. I have grandchildren, and a child could unhook their seat belt with the door open and fall out in traffic. I was also exposed to a possible carjacking with no protection. Toyota need to take ownership of this for the safety of their loyal customers.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Apr 162014

Sienna 6-cyl

The automatic sliding door cable came loose, causing the door to get stuck and further damage the cable. This flaw is noted in a recall for 2004-2007 models, but we believe it should be included in the 2008 models, as well.

- Gray, GA, USA

Feb 182014

Sienna 6-cyl

My Toyota 2008 Sienna le passenger automatic sliding door won't closed and opened completely. I've experienced an intermittent jammed with this door for the past 3 days. As a temporary fix, I need to get out from the car to help the door in closing and opening it because the button inside the car and even the remote(has new battery installed) won't do the work. One day, when driving my kids to school. As I made a left turn, I heard an audible noise/alarm and we were surprised and tried to figure out where the sound came from until my kids told me that the door is partially open while driving. I pulled over and temporary close the door. I managed to go back home and still with the alarm on and then re-pushed harder to make the door completely closed. That was scary because my kids were sitting in 2nd row. To address this problem. On same day, I rushed my car to Toyota dealership and the representative told me that cable assembly is broken and need to replace all parts but must pay $1700 + tax because the issue was the power sliding door cable assembly although my car has very low mileage 30, 312 miles (sitting most of the time inside the garage) and still not covered by Toyota warranty enhance program for rear sliding door cable. This is very frustrating and adding insult to injury, I was told that I'm not the only one had this problem.

- Glenshaw, PA, USA

Jan 022014

Sienna

Power door opened part ways and would not shut. Had to drive to mechanic with door partially open and he had to force it shut. Toyota mechanic said it was a know cable problem with the door motor, but Toyota has not issued a recall yet.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jun 152013

Sienna 6-cyl

Power sliding door cable broke. Research into this problem shows that it can cause door to jam in the open position. Problem was frequent enough that Toyota covers the repair for vehicles manufactured 2004-2007. The problem persists in the years manufactured after this, as mine is a 2008, but the $1200 repair is not covered by Toyota csp.

- North Salem, NY, USA

Mar 012011

Sienna 6-cyl

Power lift function of rear door malfunction. Upon engaging the power door, it immediately started going down once it reached the top and will not stop if someone is in between it. The struts or brackets are not able to keep the door open, making the mechanism automatically shut the door. Extremely dangerous.

- Clinton, MD, USA

Oct 052011

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that a passenger was standing in the path of the rear passenger side sliding door. The door was engaged and closed on the passenger, crushing the passenger between the sliding door and the frame. The passenger was transported to a medical doctors for treatment of her injuries. The dealer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that there were no failures found with the sliding door. The manufacturer was also notified of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle needed to be taken to a dealer for diagnosis. The failure mileage was 14,000. Updated 07/19/12

- Bakersfields, CA, USA

Feb 032012

Sienna 6-cyl

Automatic sliding door on passenger side failed. Stuck halfway open. Appears to be a cable problem. Research done on internet shows to be common problem with approx. $1800 repair price.

- Eagle, CO, USA

Nov 012011

Sienna 6-cyl

Right rear power sliding door on 2005 Toyota Sienna lxe malfunctioned. Dealer quoted nearly $1000 to fix. Ridiculous. Had dealer disconnect system (over $70) and now can use door manually although door is cumbersome to move -- almost impossible for children to operate. Inexcusably poor design! same problem right rear window. Will not operate. Now disconnected by dealer (included in $70 charge noted above). Window cannot be operated manually. Permanently shut. Bad! ventilation in rear and thus throughout vehicle adversely affected.

- Windsor, VT, USA

May 212008

Sienna 6-cyl

The sliding door opened when the car was moving, then failed to be able to close by power or manually.

- Hazle Twp, PA, USA

Apr 072011

Sienna 6-cyl

2008 Toyota Sienna le my son - who has autism had accidentally zipped his jacket over his seat belt. He got scared and asked me to help him - so I opening our automatic sliding door (driver side) to help him unzip the jacket. While I stood there trying to get his jacket unzipped - the sliding door started to close and proceeding to slam into me 4 times before it backed off (I am pregnant - 26 weeks at the time). It has on other occasions automatically shut without us activating this. This scared me - as I also have a 3 year old and of course am pregnant - what if it was my 3 year old standing there while the door slammed into him continually? I have read numerous complaints about this online from other Sienna owners and would like to have this investigated. The door should not be closing all on it's own - and it should not slam into a person or object 4 times before it backs off.

- Holly Springs, NC, USA

Aug 262009

Sienna

Sliding doors failed. Less than one year old at 34,9K miles, brought to dealer indicating both doors intermittently partially open or close during power operation. Dealer found both rear latches were not holding and were replaced. Two weeks later, at 35,2 miles problem has reoccurred and dealer cannot duplicate problem. Another 2 weeks later at 35,3K miles, late Sunday night 60 miles from home, the passenger door get stuck open in a rest area. We spend an hour fussing with the door and finally forced it shut, and drove the 60 mileshome with fingers crossed and 2 kids in the car, hoping that we have not caused a problem forcing it shut and it would not fly open on the rest of the trip. Another trip to the dealer, and they state they cannot duplicate the problem we then deferred to routine manual operation. The problem continues, and we have to open or close by forcing them. Usually, the passenger cannot let themself out, it must be opened by someone using the handle outside of the car. At 53,2K miles we can no longer manage with the malfunction. There are two weeks left on the warranty of the previous repair. Dealer states we will need to take the car to a body shop for a re-alignment at our own expense. Not having the funds to do so, we continue to deal with the problem. Finally we take it to a different dealer for a second opinion. Surprise-the latches need to be replaced. The one door is so bad the front & rear latches must be replaced at my cost of $800! we need at least one door to work so we'll do it. The other door needs it too at add'L $, as well as a visit to the body shop for 'realignment', but can't afford it. Meanwhile-the original dealer should have replaced this part at 53,2K miles when it was covered, but ithey sent us packing. No faith that this $800 repair will fix it. 3 sets of latches in 3 years? they need to identify the problem and do right by customers. This is our 6th and last Toyota. Maybe a death related incident will help.

- Montgomery, NY, USA

Aug 102000

Sienna

2008 Sienna drivers door stuck open, started making a groaning sound, cable snapped. Now Toyota wants 1700 bucks to fix it. My van is 2 years old, mileage has it out of warranty. The cable snapped, you cannot purchase the cable you have to purchase the motor also...

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jun 012009

Sienna

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the passenger and driver side electronic sliding doors were inoperable. The dealer advised that the failure occurred due to dust in between the door panels. The door panels were cleaned yet the failure persisted. The manufacturer advised the contact that she was responsible for maintaining clean door panels. The failure mileage was 28,000 and the current mileage was 48,000.

- Fairfax , MO, USA

Oct 172007

Sienna

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that there was a rattling noise in the passengers side sliding door. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who installed a rubber lining but that did not resolve the failure. The contact stated that the doors were not properly aligned. The throttle control has also malfunctioned. The contact stated that when the accelerator pedal was depressed the vehicle accelerated uncontrollably. The dealer stated that the vehicle was functioning normally. The contact stated that the vehicle also began pulling to the left, but that has not been diagnosed by the dealer at this time. The current mileage was 83,000.

- Hartly, DE, USA

Feb 272010

Sienna

We bought a new-to-us 2008 Toyota Sienna with a power operated passenger door. Within 2 weeks of purchase we parked in our church parking lot (not on an obvious incline) and pushed the internal button for the power door. I went to take my child out of her car seat and the door automatically closed on me. It took all my force to keep it open. I let it shut, then reopened it and it would not latch and kept forcibly shutting. I literally propped the door open against its will to close while my child exited. The dealer cannot duplicate the problem and doesn't believe it happened. We are very concerned about this especially because there is no way to manually disengage the motor and stop it from forcing itself closed.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Dec 012009

Sienna

Within the last couple months both of the rear sliding doors on my 2008 Toyota Sienna le have malfunctioned in a way that I believe could jeopardize the safety of the passengers. Yesterday, the left hand rear door got stuck midway between open and closed and only after exerting great force on the door and breaking the cable along which the door travels, was I able to close the door. The right hand rear door, for the last couple months, has been irregularly getting stuck midway through closing and reversing back to an open position. If one turns off the automatic door function and attempts to close the door manually, it can only be opened and closed if a great deal of force is exerted on it, much more than a child would be able to summon.

- Arlington, OR, USA