2009 Toyota Sienna miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Sienna:

2009 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Jul 172016

Cable on right power sliding door broke. Now the door slams closed without control anytime I park on a hill. My child's arm was bruised. What if fingers were in there

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

May 312016

Passenger slider door cable suddenly snapped and is hanging outside of car. Upon closer inspection cable has corroded. Car has been maintained per Toyota's recommendation at dealer and never any mention regarding potential problem with cable. Door no longer closes on its own and is very hard to open. Children must now climb in and over each other to enter vehicle; concern about safety in a crash. Cost to repair is over $1500.

- Wood-Ridge, NJ, USA

Sep 012015

Drove of F one day and heard beep beep with the hazard light on. Pulled over and could not figure out what was the problem. The door was open. What? tried to close it the button, then had to slam door shut.the left sliding doors has stopped working. The cord got frayed and dry and just broke off one day. I had to force close the door and my kids now have to use ony one door. Now I see the second door is acting the same. Very disappointed and sad and afraid. A big safety issue. Is there a recall.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Nov 112015

As I previously filed a complaint for the door cables snapping a new problem has resulted due to the cables failure. If the van is in any sort of decline while parked, including small as a driveway incline the door will not remain open and slams shut very quickly.

- Manhattan, IL, USA

Sep 062015

Driver side automatic sliding door failed to operate after the cable snapped. Cable did not cause injury but this is a potential hazard. Now the door operates in manual mode but if the van is on an incline, the door will close rapidly with significant force. This is a danger to young children.

- Palmyra, VA, USA

Jul 052015

Both my sliding doors on my 2009 Sienna are broken, we have kids and it can be dangerous! I also have a 2004 Sienna with the same problem, and Toyota had an extended warranty to fix it, but that ended at the 2007 models. Please step in and make Toyota cover the almost $4000 dollar repair that seems like there own incompetence.

- Spring Valley, NY, USA

Oct 012013

Very upset and frustrated with our 2009 Sienna issues. First, in 2013 was the snapped power door cable on the drivers' side rendering the door inoperable at first and now only manually operable. Received a quote to replace the door assembly with a price tag of over $1500. Had a big mixup with the dealership when we thought the repair was covered by Toyota when, in fact, it wasn't. if the car were older it would have been covered. Then, to top it off, earlier this year, the passengers' side cable snapped too. So we now have two doors, that do not work, and a repair bill over $3000!!! I feel this is a safety issue as others have reported. What if there were an accident and my children were unable to get out of the car, or emergency personnel were unable to get in? even the risk of pinched fingers in the manual door "slamming" is simply unacceptable to me. This is not what we had expected from Toyota and we truly feel this should be remedied immediately at no cost to us. All of the hassle and worry and frustration simply to have the car work as it should has led me here, filling this complaint, in hopes that it can be addressed. Thank you.

- Wittenberg, WI, USA

Jul 052015

The cable snapped on the power sliding door. This is the second door now. One door will not open at all, and the other door will only open manually. Toyota has an enhanced warranty program on the cables, obviously with the numerous complaints it should have been a warranty recall. My vehicle is only 6 years old and the warranty is for 9 years /120 K miles. Of course, I am over the mileage.

- Manhattan, IL, USA

Jun 012015

The automatic rear sliding door cable broke. Not able to use the door. I looked up the problem on line and it is a common problem that Toyota has known about. Online we found a Toyota warranty policy bulletin-subject-customer support program (zts): Warranty enhancement for rear sliding door latch assemblies on certain 2004-2010my Sienna vehicles and power sliding door cable assembly on certain 2004-2007my Sienna vehicles. Obviously Toyota knows there is a problem, and it continues and has not been corrected. Cars manufactured after those dates are still having the same problems and Toyota is trying to bleed it's customers dry with the outrageous prices they are charging for the replacement parts.there needs to be a recall on these problems!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 282015

Automatic sliding door cable snapped. Passenger side. This is the second time, same problem.

- Great Neck, NY, USA

Oct 162014

Sienna 6-cyl

On 10/16/14 I had the car turned off and pulled the Toyota Sienna electric sliding door open when the cable snapped and only allowed the door to open approx. 8 inches. Today 10/26/14 the cable on the other door snapped and I cannot open the door at all. This is the only vehicle I have to Transport my 3 young children and am extremely worried that if I am in a car accident there will be no way out of the vehicle if the front two doors are damaged. I took the vehicle to the Toyota dealership in frederick, md at approx. 110K and was told the doors were fine. I told them it seems like the driver sliding door would stick but they didn't find anything wrong with it. Now both of them are broken. I am highly disappointed in my Sienna and will ever purchase another one again. I have been told it will cost us $1800 to fix one door! I have two to fix! you are welcome to contact me at any time.

- New Market, MD, USA

Apr 182009

In April 2009 the accelerator stuck on my 2009 Toyota Sienna van. The dealer failed to replicate the problem and neither the dealer nor Toyota has made any progress to resolving. Now I see where a vast number of other Toyota vehicles are similarly plagued and my confidence in the Sienna is further eroded. Please help! tw*

- Mount Dora, FL, USA