1.8

2010 Toyota Sienna drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Sienna:

2010 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Aug 252016

Sienna

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked with the key removed from the ignition, a child in the vehicle was able to move the gear shift lever from the park position to reverse. The vehicle was able to roll backwards. The vehicle was not involved in a crash. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 168,837.

- Pepperell, MA, USA

Jun 092016

Sienna

My vehicle is 2010 Toyota Sienna xle and have 50,000 miles. While driving vehicle on highway suddenly car stopped engine ravs but car wont move. We towed the car to dealer and dealer suggested van needs new transmission and we contacted Toyota corporation and they wont cover this under warranty.

- Clarksburg, MD, USA

Apr 262016

Sienna

About 20 minutes away from home we heard some "growling" and "ticking" noise from the engine. No instrument warning lights came on. As we pulled into our steep driveway, the oil pressure light started to blink. We shut the engine. Upon inspection, the oil dipstick appeared dry. I added about 4 qts of oil, and started the engine. It sounded normal, and no warning light was displayed. I brought the car to a level area and checked oil again. I added another quart - oil was between the marks on the dipstick. I noticed light dripping from the front area of the engine, near the oil cooler. I then drove the car to the auto repair shop (about 4 miles away). Engine sounded ok, no warning lights. Next day I was told that the oil line to the oil cooler is leaking, and there's damage to the engine due to running with no oil. I assume that the engine operated with no oil when we heard noises - but how could the oil leak out and run the engine dry for 15 minutes *before* the light came on" how common is the problem of the oil-cooler hose failing? does this model share the same engine as the Lexus RX350" if so - is the problem related (I read that many RX350 owners complained about this) ?

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Mar 222016

Sienna

This is the second time I had to replace my transmission in my Sienna. Each time it happened, I was on vacation. The first time I replaced it was less than 2 years ago, April 2014. There was an issue with the car shifting hard and humming on acceleration. Luckily I made it home and was able to fix it. Spent $1, $404.43 which was 30% of the cost, Toyota paid for 70% of it. Now March of 2016, the car lurched, was smocking and slowed down while I was on vacation in the middle of the road. Luckily I was able to get it to right outside of the hotel room. Paid towing to get the car to an overnight location, mike erdman Toyota. Unfortunately, they were not able to fix it within the week that I was on vacation. I had to come home and drive back to 224 miles to get the car. This time, I am paying $3600. I saw another complaint similar to mine on this site. Unfortunately, I will have to get rid of the car because I am afraid for my safety. When a car stalls on you on the turnpike or in the middle of the rode, it is time to cut your loses. I am very disappointed because my family have been Toyota owners but will now have to look for a new company.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 222015

Sienna

Grinding noise from transmission when in low gear from stop. Had defective X mission in two other 2010 Toyota and returned under lemon law. Quote from individual nat Toyota corporate office in 2010 stated they were incurring difficulties with transmissions in this vehicle at the time. 3 rde Sienna appeared fine until recentley and discovered that they stated transmission failure and needs replacing. Called Toyota and they claim exceeded warrenty to bad so sad. MA 10/26/2015

- Asheville, NC, USA

Jan 122015

Sienna 6-cyl

Stopped at red light. When I proceeded to drive, I started to hear loud, clanging/thudding noises coming from engine, then I heard one large thud. The transmission gears had seized (completely locked up), causing such tension/friction that it caused transmission cover to explode. Parts were falling out of transmission and transmission fluid emptied entirely on the road. I was told by a transmission mechanic that it was a miracle I was able to maneuver car to safety on side of road.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Nov 302009

Sienna

At vehicle start- cold ambient temps -approx 20F and lower, engine goes to about 1800 RPM and stays there for about 2 minutes before dropping down to about 1100 RPM. After shfiting and the driver taking the foot off the brake pedal the vehicle has a tendence to lurch due to the high engine speed. This is a surprise event every time I or my wife start this vehicle and I consider it a safety related issue. As a comparison, my 2003 Chevy trailblazer cold engine RPM never goes above 900 RPM and does not exhibit this lurch tendency. I complained to the Toyota dealer service manager, and he offered no resolution- basically "...that's the way it is." The dealer has no known procedure to adjust the cold start engine speed to a lower level. I have a documented service report.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA