2010 Toyota Sienna miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Sienna:

2010 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Aug 272016

Sienna

Cables for both automatic sliding doors snapped. The doors are both completely unusable, as they will not open at all. As my 8 year old was trying to get out of the vehicle, the door stopped working and would no longer work. The drivers' side door cable snapped last week, and the right one, today.

- Urbandale, IA, USA

Jul 132016

Sienna

Driver side door cable snaps making it impossible to totally open door. Would be dangerous in case of emergency exit.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 142016

Sienna

Both power doors broke the same way. The cable frayed and was pulled into the door by the motor. The doors would not open at all until serviced, which caused a safety concern! the fix was estimated at $1,500 per door.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Feb 012016

Sienna

Power sliding door cable snapp.

- North Brunswick, NJ, USA

Jan 162016

Sienna

Power door cable snapped on driver side rear door.

- Southwick, MA, USA

Nov 302014

Cable snapped on rear passenger side power door November 2014

- Southwick, MA, USA

Jul 112015

Sienna

My wife and daughter were traveling on our 2010 Sienna on 07/11/2015 (sat) and the gears seized up when they were turning into a busy 4-lane road. In spite of complete loss of transmission, due to the sheer momentum of the vehicle, my wife was able to direct the vehicle to the right side of the road. When she called me, I arrived to see my daughter crying and standing on the side while my wife was trying to push the van further right with the help of an old couple who were extremely helpful. Luckily, my wife and daughter escaped with no injuries (except for a stiff neck and bad headache for a couple of days for my wife) but left with a life-long memories of this painful experience. After towing the vehicle to stevens creek Toyota, I was told that that the transmission system had completely failed (metallic parts chipped and ground as per technician) and had to be replaced with an whooping bill of $6K. Considering that both of us are our working parents, we had to painfully swallow the cost of repair and move on with our lives until now when I had time during the end of year when I wanted Toyota and all Sienna owners to know about our ordeal and be cautioned about their vehicles. My biggest complaints: * we trust our family members lives in the hands of reputed vehicle manufactures such as Toyota. When their vehicles do not live up to their reputation and cause mental/physical anguish, it is definitely disheartening. * I paid nearly $48K for this fully-loaded 2010 Sienna xle limited. A complete transmission failure at 70K miles and $6K to replace the transmission is completely unacceptable and I feel ripped off! we really hope Toyota get its act together and invest in improving the quality of critical systems of their vehicles.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 282014

Sienna

I have a 2010 Toyota Sienna with power doors. The cable to the driver's side rear sliding door snapped when I opened it using the interior open/ close button. I am unable to open the door manually more than 1 foot. Toyota issued a warranty policy bulletin (pol 12-02) concerning power sliding door cables for 2004 - 2007 Sienna vehicles. Under the same bulletin, they included rear sliding door latch assemblies on certain 2004 - 2010 Sienna vehicles. My vehicle is specifically listed in the VIN range for 2010, but Toyota says the cable is not covered. Toyota extended the warranty for 9 years or 120,000 miles. Seems to me there is some issue recognized by Toyota concerning the door cables and doors. I have no way of using that door as an egress point.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Jun 022015

Sienna

Received another safety recall notice for a potential excessive corrosion on spare tire. Still no remedy. As a temporary solution, Toyota will offer roadside assistance at no charge should there be any tire issues. However, no phone number/contact information is provided for roadside assistance on the notice. I called Toyota customer service and was told this was an oversight and they readily provided me with a number for a national service. I am not experiencing any problems but am curious as to the lack of transparency by not including the phone number in the notice. It has never been provided on the past interim notices that I was able to find. Also, do they ever plan on fixing or is it a calculated business decision not to fix given cost?

- Potomac, MA, USA

Jan 122015

Sienna

Transmission cover busted open at top while I was driving down a busy road. Transmission fluid drained causing gears to seize.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Sep 102014

Sienna 6-cyl

As I was pulling into a parking space in a commercial parking lot the van suddenly accelerated while my foot was on the brake. I hit the car parked facing me which stopped my forward motion.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 042011

Sienna 6-cyl

While trying to park my 2010 Toyota Sienna with one foot on the brake the vehicle accelerated into a sign post and into the vacuum at the car wash. The vehicle's brakes went soft and unresponsive even with both feet on the pedal, it only stopped when it could not go any further and I was able to put the vehicle in neutral. There was damage to the driver side front quarter panel as well as property damage. I simply could not stop the vehicle.

- Martinez, GA, USA

Feb 042011

Sienna

Stopped in left turn lane and hit head on by another vehicle at about 30-35 mph. Air bags did not deploy and seat belt retractor failed resulting in severe injury to sternum and ribs

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Jan 152011

Sienna

June 2007 took our Sienna to dealer for warranty repair. The passenger door was making a popping noise and would not stay open when parked facing downhill. Dealer cleaned the latch mechanism and the door worked for a month. We returned to the dealer for additional warranty repair in Sept. 2007. They again cleaned mechanism but replaced no parts. The automatic slider door ceased working shortly after this. We continued to use both slider doors in manual mode until January 2011. The passenger door failed to seal and latch in a closed position with the body of the van. We drove 70 miles to the dealer where they were able to get the door to close but informed us that the door hinge and latch mechanism needed to be replaced. We returned 7 days later to have the repairs done and we were told that the door which would open and close, but not latch, 7 days earlier would now not open at all and the automatic slider door cable would need to be cut to perform the repairs and then we would need to replace the automatic door motor as well. We were also informed that the driver's side passenger slider door would also need to have similar work and that by replacing the hinge we could possibly save the latch and auto slider motor on the drivers side. Unfortunately there was no warning that the slider door was going to fail and we were several miles from a Toyota repair shop when the latch problem occurred. We drove 70 miles with the door unsecured.

- Hayden, ID, USA