4.1

2012 Toyota Sienna electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Sienna:

2012 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Oct 302015

Sienna

All underwood components are not only vulnerable, but attractive to rodents. While parked overnight on 4 consecutive nights, rodents have chewed through wires despite attractive rodent poison in the engine bay, the poison is untouched and the wires are attacked every night. To date injector wires, sensor sires, fuel pump wires have been compromised, including sensors for the stability control system, which is disabled. I repaired damage by running new wires, clearing nests and set traps and poison, but now the the fuel system has been attacked and the fuel pump does not activate. 3 other cars parked in the same location for the past 5 months are untouched. Safety systems are likely to be compromised for any person who must park these outdoors.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Mar 062015

Sienna

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Sienna. While driving approximately 40 mph, the rear driver side sliding door suddenly opened. While attempting to shut the door, the door could not be secured. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the cause of the failure was due to a faulty door motor and faulty door latch. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 44,820.

- Canton, MI, USA

Feb 042015

Sienna 6-cyl

2012 Sienna limited electrical issues I have a 2012 Toyota Sienna limited with every option except AWD. On February 4, 2015, after driving for about 25 minutes, when I stopped and turned off the engine, the van completely died! I wanted to start again, but there was no power at all; nothing would function, door locks, radio, lights, nothing! I had to wait for about 5 minutes. Finally I was able to start; however the navigation dvd was reset. This is the second time it happens this week. Before these events; about one year ago something like that happened, that time the van was in the garage, we were ready to go to church and when I press the start button it tried to start but then it completely died, there was no power at all. I am really concerned that this will happen while driving and we will be in a very serious condition not being able to control the vehicle. I already called the dealer, but there was no help. I had the battery checked and it?S in perfect conditions!

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Oct 052014

Sienna 6-cyl

After the weather drop to 45 degrees on October 5, 2014 I started my 2012 Toyota Sienna (AWD), I immediately notice that all light in the panel were on. There is warning in center view panel alerting me that I need to take the vehicle to dealership for ABS, vsc and brake system problem. The following day I drove the vehicle to the dealership and notice that the speedometer and gas gauge are not working. The speedometer hand is moving back and forth. The gas is always in the full mode. I also notice that the brake is always in on mode. Driving without working speedometer, brake system and gas range are really putting my life in danger. I am hoping that my dealership which superior Toyota can fix these problem. I am also hoping that warranty will covert the defective part.

- Erie, PA, USA

Aug 172014

Sienna

Driver's side rear sliding door will not latch shut when closing door either manually of electrically. When closing front latches engage of sliding door but subsequent rear latching does not engage upon end of closing cycle. One can hear rear of sliding door locking mechanism actuator whine when attempting final close cycle. After the van's failure to cycle the door shut at rear, then also at rear a diagnostic sounds a long beep warning sound afterwards. Removing negative to see if this would reset the door in some way only served to cancel all electronic commands to the door to open or close useless from any button (fob, overhead control console button, manual door handle opening or open/close buttons). Passenger (right) sliding door unaffected.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 212013

Sienna 6-cyl

In Nov 2013, the battery light on the dashboard turned on. Within a few minutes of that happening, the vehicle stalled while driving and would not move again. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, where the dealer discovered that the car"S alternator needed to be replaced. In Jan 2014, the battery light turned on again, so I drove the vehicle back to the dealer, where they claimed that the problem was once again with the alternator. They replaced the Sienna?S alternator again. In Mar 2014, the battery light came on yet again. I brought it into the dealer for a third time, but this time the dealer claimed to be unable to find any problems with the car?S electrical system. He returned it to me with advice to bring it back in if the problem continued. After the third dealer visit for the battery light issue, we still saw that the battery light would light up on several occasions. The dealer made it clear that I should only bring in the car if the battery light was on so that they could diagnose the problem. However, the intermittent times that it was on would not line up well with the dealer?S repair shop"S schedule. I have recorded video evidence that the car exhibits the battery light issue outside of dealer hours and sent it back to Toyota. I have tried to contact Toyota through both the dealer and directly. I have even filed a claim through California's lemon law. Toyota denied my claim, saying that they conformed my vehicle to the terms of the warranty within a reasonable number of opportunities. Despite this, the problem persists. It has been over half a year since the problem started, and I still do not know if my vehicle is safe to drive in. I fear that one day it may stall again without warning while driving on the road and put my loved ones and myself in danger. Toyota's handling of the situation has been slow and puts my family's safety in danger.

- Chino, CA, USA

Jun 022014

Sienna

We first encountered a problem in which the automatic sliding door would not function to open or close automatically but it still worked manually. About a week later the rear latch of the passenger sliding door became stuck in the lock position thus not allowing the door to fully close. I took the vehicle to my mechanic who greased the latch and allowed it to function properly however the door would still only open automatically but would open or close manually just fine. During this time there were 3 instances when the door would automatically open without human intervention but while we were driving down the highway with children in the rear seats. Toyota agrees this is a major safety issue but will only split the $1,200 bill with us. Based on the fact they are willing to help pay for the repair out of warranty proves they are aware of the issue yet fail to issue a recall and put are willing to risk lives especially children's lives to save face.

- White Haven, PA, USA

Jan 212012

Sienna 6-cyl

The intermittent wiper is reveresed. The slow is running fast and the fast running slow. Took it to the dealer and they advised that they could not do anything. Also the dash is not flush with the instrument cluster.

- Granada Hills, CA, USA

Oct 122012

Sienna 6-cyl

Owner was driving and vcs and ABS warning lights came on and stayed on while driving as well as tire pressure light. Brakes on vehicle did not brake as well going down hill. Tires slipped and skidded in the rain on the hills in ventura county. Driver called Toyota and they opened up a case number. Toyota has attempted to fix the vehicle 3 times and cannot determine the reason why the malfunction keeps occurring. Owner has video of the warning lights continuously on while owner is driving. Owner feels this is an extreme safety issue, and believes they were sold a lemon car.

- Carson, CA, USA

Dec 262008

Sienna 6-cyl

No dashboard lights when van is started, only come on when light switch is activated. Dashboard on visible on cloudy days.

- Kingwood , TX, USA

Jul 032012

Sienna 6-cyl

Brand new vehicle lasted about a week, wife parked car, went into store, came out and van would not start, wife and kids were stranded in rough part of neighboring city, battery dead, Toyota service tested charging system and found nothing wrong, they didn't replaced battery as a precaution.

- Monroe, CT, USA