6.1

2014 Toyota Sienna brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Sienna:

2014 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Oct 142015

Sienna

At random and intermittently the brake pedal feel changes from firm to mushy with the pedal traveling to or near the floor during the stopping. Also at random and intermittently the car can be stopped with the brake pedal applied lightly to prevent car movement when the pedal suddenly slowly begins dropping and will go down to the floor. I have had no accident from either brake failure condition, but several times I felt ready to go into crash avoidance mode when there was the chance that this might also might be on the verge of loosing braking action. I had this checked by two Toyota shops but they said they found nothing wrong. I also called Toyota for assistance and a case number (1510051721) was assigned. The rep talked with both shops and lastly said he was going to talk to someone else and call back. He never called. When I drove from the 2nd Toyota shop, the brakes failed again and I went right back. The shop rep and I took the car out for a test drive and the brakes were ok. We switched driving and 3 blocks from the shop the brakes failed approaching a stop light. The light changed before we had to stop. At the shop, I stopped the car in drive and with my foot lightly on the pedal as in a normal wait for the stop light to change. After a short time, the brake failed and slowly dropped to the floor. This time the rep (who was still in the passenger seat) had the failure brought to his attention and he actually saw the pedal fall to the floor. He immediately took the car into the shop, but again the tech found no problem or failure. I asked the Toyota rep to have a engineer or brake expert decide what could cause this and precautionary replace the primary choice. This was refused. This van was bought new in January, 2015. The problem was first noticed in March. I now have only 6,400 miles on it.

- Gary, IN, USA

Jun 062015

Sienna 6-cyl

On Saturday, June 6, 2015, my 2014 Toyota Sienna limited automatically brake with very significant force while the cruise control was engaged at approximately 45 mph. No vehicles or obstacles were ahead and I was driving on a straight and relatively level street that has a 45 mph speed limit. This problem also occurred many, many times in the first several months after purchasing this vehicle new in April 2014. I reported this problem to molle Toyota, Kansas City, Missouri when it first happened and at the 5,000 and 10,000 services and they could find no problems with the adaptive cruise control system. During the first few months of ownership I tried driving to the molle Toyota dealership when the problem occurred and the dealership was open but each time the problem stopped happening before I got to the dealership. The problem usually happens "out of the blue" after I have been driving for a while. Once the problem first occurs, it then happens over and over each time I reengage the cruise control. Stopping the vehicle and restarting the engine almost always stops the problem from recurring. And as I indicated above, sometimes the problem will stop on its own without restarting the engine. I am submitting this complaint at this time after seeing in the news that there have been similar complaints on Jeep. The June 6 incident was also much worse than previous incidents due to another car following very closely behind me when the Sienna brakes automatically slammed on. I was also concerned that the driver behind me might have thought that I had braked hard on purpose. I have been able to cope with this problem but my main concern is with allowing others to drive the Sienna and that they may not be able to quickly turn the cruise control off when the problem happens.

- Lenexa, KS, USA