2001 Toyota Tacoma brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Tacoma:

2001 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Mar 192016

Tacoma

Rust seems to be coming off by the handfuls and pieces thick enough that I am concerned. I looked under my truck and among other things, metal lines (brake, steering, not sure), the gas tank, and steering linkage became my biggest concern. By the thickness of rust I have gotten from my vehicle I am certain it is not surface rust. How much will something rust before it becomes a failure, especially with a line under pressure such as brake lines? the last time I filled up I noticed gas leaking on the concrete. I am not sure if it is coming from the tank itself or not.

- Letohatchee, AL, USA

Sep 062013

Tacoma 6-cyl

While driving heard a skidding sound, look under truck lost trd plates, rotted became lose and fell. Under carriage corroded.

- Del Rio, TX, USA

Mar 202013

Tacoma 4-cyl

The brakes failed due to loss of hydraulic fluid. This occurred suddenly. The steel hydraulic brake line has corroded and ruptured within an inch of where it connects to the brake bias valve near the left rear wheel. Upon inspection of the area around the brake bias valve, the bias valve itself, the bolts securing the bias valve, and the brake lines severe corrosion was observed. The inspector who has 35 years of experience working on Toyota regards this corrosion as abnormal for any vehicle of this age. The vehicle's frame was coated with a substance that is supposed to prevent corrosion under a Toyota recall in Oct. 2010. This substance was sprayed on the brake line which ruptured as well. The inspector feels that the coating is actually accelerating the corrosion. The inspector observed the coating pealing off of the truck's frame in large sheets.

- Dyer, IN, USA

Feb 092013

Tacoma 6-cyl

I had made a left turn onto freeway entrance ramp, started accelerating to get up to speed. At approximately 30mph there was a loud bang/pop noise and the vehicle front left dropped down. I hung on to try and keep vehicle under control as it took an sharp left hand turn towards a pole. Even though the brake pedal went to the floor I was able to some how get the vehicle stopped before the passenger side hit the pole where my 1 year old daughter was riding. I had the truck checked for recalls in late 2008 when I purchased it. The report said ball joint recall was VIN # specific and that this truck was not in the VIN range. After the incident happened, I called Toyota hotline for assistance and even though this is the same condition, and part that is failing on the vehicles in range they said, "that sense the recall is VIN specific, there's nothing we can do, and we can't just add a vehicle to the recall". so, now I'm stuck with a wrecked vehicle, but very thankful that I didn't hit the pole where my daughter was sitting. This needs to be addressed and all Tacoma's that contain this style ball joint be fixed before some one does get killed.

- Salida, CA, USA

Jan 032013

Tacoma 6-cyl

At speed above 60 mph, while the cruise control is on brake pedal is very hard and no response, and all the time brake is week at speed above 30mph.very dangerous.

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

May 132012

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma sr 5 extended cab. The contact was driving 3-4 mph when the vehicle drove over a road bump and the lower ball joint proceeded to detached from the passenger side front tire. The vehicle then unexpectedly drifted forward three feet. The vehicle was towed to a local repair shop where it was confirmed that the lower ball joint detached and needed to be replaced, along with the brake line. The manufacturer was contacted and they confirmed the VIN failed to qualify for repairs under NHTSA campaign id number:05V225000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower ball joint). The failure and current mileages were 129,660.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA