2003 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Tacoma:

2003 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 182015

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

I am looking for information regarding the Toyota frame corrosion recall. I currently own a 2003 Toyota Tacoma that falls under this warranty and my frame is completely corroded and now deemed unsafe. Toyota has told me that their recall has expired and therefore my frame is not covered even though we were initially told that the frame was under warranty for 15 years. At the initial time of recall we brought our truck to our local dealer (greentree)for a frame inspection and they advised me the frame was in good condition but there was no process in place yet to spray the frames...now my frame is completely rotted through and Toyota has advised me that there is nothing they can do about it. I would like some info on how this major safety recall can "expire" and want to explore my option for Toyota to fix their issue and my truck thank you

- New Milford, CT, USA

Jan 272016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. While the vehicle was parked, the contact noticed something hanging under the vehicle. The contact had an independent mechanic diagnose the vehicle and found severe rust on the rear passenger side along with a fractured frame. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 168,000.

- Deerpark, WI, USA

Jan 202016

Tacoma

Frame rust. I was just informed that my 2003 Tacoma has a serious frame rust problem and is now unsafe to drive. I contacted a Toyota dealership and they stated that this case was closed and there was nothing they could do to help. My biggest concern was I had this same truck in the same dealership for a recall on the spare tire holder (rust problem) and they did not mention or check the frame to see if it was safe. My son was in a small front end collision and the entire frame bent and buckled. How could this vehcile be allowed on the roads.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Jan 292016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. Upon inspecting the vehicle, the frame experienced severe corrosion. The vehicle was not taken to an independent mechanic or dealer to be diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number 12V542000 (tires). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 110,000.

- Norton, MA, USA

Jan 082016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. When the vehicle was taken for routine maintenance, the technician informed the contact that the frame of the vehicle was rusted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the frame was rusted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 131,000.

- Highland Falls, NY, USA

Nov 042014

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 12V542000 (tires) however, the mechanic stated that the vehicle could not be repaired due to the frame being corroded. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- North Smithfield, RI, USA

Nov 172015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. When the vehicle was taken to be serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 12V542000 (tires), the technician informed the contact that the frame was rusted and the recall repair was unable to be performed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 204,000.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Jun 012015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. While inspecting the vehicle, it was discovered that the subframe of the vehicle was rusted and separated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who indicated that the subframe would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 218,000.

- Manistique, MI, USA

Nov 122015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. While the vehicle was being serviced for an unrelated reason, the authorized dealer observed that the frame was severely corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was deemed inoperable and was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 203,000.

- Oxford, CT, USA

Jan 042010

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the frame of the vehicle had excessive rust. The vehicle was repaired, but the details were unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 126,000. The VIN was not available.

- Ponnellsville, PA, USA

Sep 142015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. While attempting to rotate the tires, it was noticed that the frame was severely rusted in the rear driver and passenger side tires. In addition, there were holes on both sides. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the frame needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 220,000. The VIN was not available.

- Poca, WV, USA

Oct 082015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. While the vehicle was being serviced by an independent mechanic, the mechanic observed that the frame was rusted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Arecibo, PR, USA

Sep 112013

Tacoma

There was a recall on my truck for potential frame corrosion. I never received notification of this issue from Toyota and didn't know about the problem until my mechanic warned me about frame rot. I brought my truck to a local Toyota dealer and they confirmed that there was damage but informed me that I had missed the opportunity deadline for the repair. I have contacted their us corporate office and been given the same reply. They claim to have sent me the recall notice but I maintain that I never received any notification. I am wondering if I have any recourse in this matter.

- Marshfield, MA, USA

Apr 012015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. While the vehicle was being serviced for routine maintenance, it was discovered that the frame was rusted. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the frame of the vehicle was rusted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000. The VIN was not available.

- West Orange, NJ, USA

May 222014

Tacoma 4-cyl

In May 2014 while having my vehicle serviced by a mechanic he brought to my attention a serious and ongoing issue with the frame of my 2003 Toyota Tacoma. I am experiencing a serious material defect in the frame of this vehicle. The problem I am experiencing is not normal. I am referring to a complete breakdown of the frame. I contacted Toyota in May 2014 to file a formal complaint. Toyota informed me that my vehicle was recalled for a defective frame but the recall had expired. I informed Toyota that I did not receive a recall from them and requested them to make good on the recall and replace my frame. They again refused my request. On May 22, 2014 I took my Tacoma to motor world Toyota for a frame inspection. The inspection found perforation on the left rear frame by the leaf spring. The inspection also stated due to frame perforation the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The mechanic that examined our truck stated that they were replacing frames on a large amount of Toyota vehicles due to the frame defect. The service manager said he would report his findings to Toyota and contact us. A few days later the manager contacted us only to inform us again corporate Toyota again refused to replace the frame. In April of this year I again contact corporate Toyota(case#1503280111) by phone and email to request them to honor the recall for the defective frame only to be refused again. I am asking for any assistance you can offer us. It is critical to our family for Toyota to honor the recall on the frame our truck. My husband uses the vehicle to travel to frequent medical appointments. He has been treated since April 2012 for metastatic malignant melanoma. We have been preoccupied with radiation, chemo, 3 surgeries and frequent appointments for cat scans, pet scans etc. We desperately need this vehicle for continued transportation to his medical appointments.

- Mount Pocono, PA, USA

Apr 132015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. While driving at various speeds attempting to make a turn, a clicking noise emitted from under the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the body mounts were corroded and needed replacement. The contact also stated that the vehicle was repaired previously under a manufacturer recall for corrosive preventive maintenance. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 146,000.

- Delmar, MD, USA

Dec 092014

Tacoma

So in December I took my Tacoma to the dealership for a regular frame inspection after learning upon the issue. The truck is in almost perfect condition, spotless inside and out. The frame failed inspection, and I was unable to drive the vehicle home. First off, a service rep at the dealership tried to send me off to a friend of his who could "patch" up the frame so that it would pass inspection (great idea, right?). Toyota has provided me with a rental, but the only rental they would give me is a corolla. I live in the mountains, and bought the truck so that I would be able to handle the rough winter weather. I have already had to call out of work as a result of being unable to drive through the snow. I am looking at a date of mid March at the earliest (most likely longer) until I am able to have my truck back, depleting the whole purpose of me having a truck. I have tried getting Toyota to buy the truck back. I love my truck, and I plan on continuing to drive Toyota due to the well-known reliability of these vehicles. I understand that this is a sort of bad luck incident, but considering that rust spreads, I already know that I am going to have to put more money into the vehicle to combat the rust corrosion that has already begun due to a faulty frame. This is obviously already occurring, considering that it is not just the frame that is corroded, but also the brake lines. I am not looking in any way to cheat Toyota, I am just attempting to have a safe vehicle to drive, and I worry that since this corrosion has already started, replacing the frame is only putting off the issue until it becomes noticeable on the rest of the vehicle. If anyone has been able to successfully have Toyota buy back a 2001-2004 model Tacoma, I would love to know how they accomplished this.

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Jul 152014

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

I received a frame recall for our 2005 Tacoma but not our 2003 Tacoma. I checked with the local Toyota dealership and they told me that the recalls for the 2003 have passed but they will replace the frame if I pay $2,900 out of pocket and they will cover the rest. I bought the truck used 18 months ago and did not receive a recall notice. I checked with the previous owner who advised that he did not receive one. I am suspect that this information is wrong and will be checking into it with Toyota. The frame is broken at the point where the rear leaf spring rotted to the point of a disconnect from the frame. Carbone Toyota inspected it and advised me to have it replaced.

- Shaftsbury, VT, USA

May 162012

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. The contact indicated that while having the emissions inspection performed, the technician noticed that there was extensive rust on the underbody, shields, welding, lower frame, upper frame and the sub-frame of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop who indicated that the plate by the brakes was rusted. The technician welded the frames as an interim fix and suggested that the manufacturer needed to remove the corroded frames and components and rebuild the frame or it may potentially fracture. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and refused to provide any assistance since the vehicle was no longer under warranty. In addition, the contact indicated that the brake pedal was stuck and adjustments had to be made in order to release the pedal. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 47,600.

- Monroe, CT, USA

Mar 312014

Tacoma 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being taken to a dealer for an oil change, the mechanic noticed that there was a rust hole that had rusted through the frame near the right rear passenger's side. The diagnosis was that the frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 118,500. Updated 10/22/14

- Marion, OH, USA