9.5

2. replace frame (2 reports)
2004 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Tacoma:

2004 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Sep 022016

Tacoma TRD V6

I purchased my Tacoma in June of 2011. I crawled under the truck and it had been undercoated completely. The dealer had no information on the undercoating or the truck because it was purchased at auction.

Now that my frame is completely rusted Toyota says they can't help. They said they sent letters out in 2009 about getting it undercoated and it wasn't done. I registered my tuck online and never received any information on the undercoating not being done.

The supervisor that returned my call today said I should have called and they would have told me what to do. I asked, "I registered it online. What is the purpose of the registration if you aren't going to notify me if I need to know something?"

She kept saying she was sorry but the offer was over and there is noting they can do to help me!!!

I only put 25000 miles on the truck and expected it to last a long time. I sold my 1997 truck back and they assured us that they had fixed the issues with frames.

What am I supposed to do now???

- , Grethel, KY, USA

Nov 112016

Tacoma SR5 V6

Discovered the body and undercarriage is rusting badly. Bought from a dealership. Was not aware of the problem. Rust is not limited to under the vehicle. The bed (front and back) is also badly rusting. The gas tank is leaking as a result of the rusting. The structure is compromised.

- , Hiawassee, GA, USA

Sep 142016

Tacoma SR5 3.2L V6

click to see larger images

frame is rusting frame is rusting

Toyota knows they have a big problem with these frames. To the point that the recalled the frames to be inspected. If the frames were found to be excessively corroded, Toyota applied undercoating. I brought my truck in as requested by Toyota. They found the frame to be excessively corroded. They applied the undercoating. This lasted about 5 years which at that point I found myself with a truck that can not pass inspection because the frame is rotted out so badly it had holes the size of dollar bills (see photos). I contacted Toyota to see what they would do about it. The answer was "It's out of warranty", there is nothing we can offer you. So my truck which I so lovingly cared for is all of a sudden junk, not to mention dangerous to drive. I'm glad my service station failed me when they did, because after becoming aware of the problem I was shocked at how bad it was. The cost to replace the frame is around $14,000 and would take 2-4 weeks. The truck would only be worth $6,000 if I had the work done. So clearly this was not an economically feasible option. Tacoma owners in snowy regions beware! The frames need to be regularly inspected and well cared for if they are to last. Not something I would think would be necessary for a pick up truck, or a car for that matter.

- , North Andover, MA, USA

Aug 152015

Tacoma SR5 2.7L

I bought my2004 Toyota Tacoma brand new and would thought it would last a long time. The motor is strong, nothing really wrong with it except for the typical things like brakes, tires and so on. I went and looked under the truck and saw it is rusted out. I can poke my fingers through the frame and it is cracked in some spots. I want Toyota to fix it since they know of this problem but they will not help me at all. They knew of this problem but don't want to do a thing about it. Now they sent me a letter to fix the spare tire because it can rust out and fall off while driving but if the frame is not good how the hell would they fix it. They need to do something fast if they don't I help people boycott them and nobody buys their pieces of sh*t trucks.

- , Hazleton, PA, USA