2004 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Tacoma:

2004 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Jan 092015

Tacoma 4-cyl

Frame slightly bent in accident. When body shop went to pull frame to straighten out they would not do it because how badly rusted the frame was. Truck had 88,000 miles on it. Toyota will do nothing. This is my second Tacoma this has happened too. They recalled my 97 Tacoma because of the same issue, at least they treated me fairly on that. I was assured when I bought the second truck rust problem was fixed.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Apr 142014

Tacoma 4-cyl

Attempted to trade vehicle in. Inspection by dealer reported hole in frame. Dealer refused to take my truck. Estimated cost to replace frame at $9,000-$10,000.

- Logan, OH, USA

Sep 262013

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle frame rusted to the point where it will be unsafe to drive soon. Vehicle is from a "heavy road salt use" state, but has had very limited exposure to salt during the winter months. Most times the frame has been rinsed with clean water after exposure to salt. Toyota's voluntary repair period has expired, yet they acknowledge a manufacturing defect. In addition there is a recall for a similar item related to the spare tire carrier on the same vehicle.

- Waltham, MA, USA

Jun 012004

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that when he entered the vehicle he noticed that the seat belts on both driver and passenger side were wet. The contact stated that the failure occurred whenever it rained. There was no water visible inside the vehicle and the windows were closed. The manufacturer was contacted and advised him to contact to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Jun 152010

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Tacoma. The contact had a repair for a recall on the frame performed (recall information not available in NHTSA database). The dealer undercoated the frame which turned into an oil base that dripped in the contact's garage and damaged it. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who advised her to contact the manufacturer. The vehicle had not been repaired again. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was approximately 81,000 and the current mileage was approximately 90,000.

- Sand Lake, MI, USA

Apr 012009

We own a 2004 Toyota Tacoma. After receiving a letter from Toyota about frame rust, we took our vehicle to the dealer for the requested inspection. The dealer told us that the frame has soft spots and that Toyota recommended replacing the frame. We are seriously concerned about the safety of this vehicle given the fact that the structural integrity of the vehicle has been compromised. However, we question this kind of invasive repair. We want Toyota to buy the truck back given the nature of this safety defect. Toyota has a defined history of defective frames in the Tacoma: They bought back many 1995-2000 Tacoma for the same reason. Since the 2001-2004 Tacoma are experiencing the same defect -- a very serious one -- Toyota needs to take responsibility and properly compensate owners like us by buying them back. We request that the NHTSA do what is necessary to require Toyota to take responsibility in this matter by recalling all affected Tacoma so these vehicles can be taken off the road before injury and death results. Thank you for your attention to this very serious matter. Peter spangenberg

- Litchfield, CT, USA

Jun 242008

I have a rust problem in the bed of my 2004 Toyota Tacoma and I have a 5 year warranty against manufacture defects that Toyota will not honor and this is clearly a defect.

- Mount Lookout, WV, USA

Jul 272005

Tacoma 6-cyl

My 2004 Toyota Tacoma double cab prerunner V6 SR5 has 18,000miles and has had the following problem for a while. I did not notice it until about 2 months after I had purchased the vehicle. Which tells me that the problem could be a progressive issue. The truck continues to show an increase in the problem. Problem description: When driving the Tacoma down the road the Tacoma drives fine. But when approaching an intersection where the vehicle is brought to a complete stop is when the following occurs. The vehicle will shift to the rear and a jerk sound is heard and felt. When releasing the brake on the vehicle you will feel and hear another more intense jerk. When you press on the throttle pedal to move forward from an intersection the vehicle displays yet another jerk. All of these feels as if it is coming from the rear. I took the truck to the dealership for it's regular maintence and questioned the service advisor about this issue. I was told in a very "I don't have time for you manner" it's a Tacoma it will always do that. I can't nor will I accept that answer.

- Bentonville, AR, USA