2005 Toyota Tacoma seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Tacoma:

2005 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 142016

Tacoma

Driver airbag light is on. Why is my VIN not included in the following recall by Toyota for airbags for Tacoma pickups. NHTSA campaign number: 12V092000 component(s): Air bags

- Colleyville, TX, USA

Apr 152015

Tacoma

I took my vehicle in for the Toyota's recall for the spiral cable. The failure light was not on. A few months after I got the vehicle back the failure light can on. Toyota said the spiral cable had failed and wanted $700 plus to replace it. I am guessing they did not fix the vibration that was causing the problem so the system failed again. Toyota should have fixed the vibration and left the spiral cable alone. The original cable was not causing a problem. They have refused.

- Palos Verdes Estates, CA, USA

Aug 012012

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. While driving 30 mph, another vehicle attempted to turn and the contact crashed into the rear of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The ABS warning light illuminated. The contact did not sustain any injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was driven from the crash scene and was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Greensboro, AL, USA

Dec 202014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

I was slowly turning into my driveway when there was a sudden acceleration of the gas pedal. My truck shot like a bullet (about 40-45 feet) into the corner of my house and deck. The force of the impact sheared a 6X6 deck corner post, knocked the garage small entry door completely loose from it's frame, and did extensive damage to a solid brick wall, as well as damage to the inside of garage. Luckily, I did still have my seat belt fastened; however, the air bag did not deploy. I filed a claim with Toyota, they sent an inspector, and now have denied that there was any malfunction. I am 100% sure that the acceleration was not "driver's error" and that there is a safety issue here and Toyota should be held accountable. The body damage to my truck has been repaired, but I will be getting rid of it. The conversations I have had with the people at Toyota's headquarters in torrance, California have certainly been most unpleasant and have left me with a very bad opinion of Toyota as a company. I will never have another of their vehicles! I just hope the next person is as lucky as I was and does not get killed or badly injured when his Toyota Tacoma accelerates for no reason!

- Erwin, TN, USA

Sep 012011

Tacoma 6-cyl

My driver side air bag light has been on for some time. There was a recall for a harness in the steering column but that did not repair it. Then they tested the one thing and another and say it is a common issue where in the fender it can rub and cause the air bag to not deploy. I have seen a recent recall on various models where they call this a safety concern and can only wonder if it is also the case on the Toyota Tacoma prerunner I drive.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Apr 022013

Tacoma 6-cyl

The airbag warning light came on and has mostly stayed on for quite a while. Toyota issued a recall for the spiral/clockspring cable on my vehicle in March 2012, which addressed this problem. However, my VIN was not included in the recall. The problem on my vehicle has gotten worse. I took it to a Toyota dealer shop and they indicated that it was probably the spiral cable, as well. Since that time, Toyota just issued another recall (April 2014), again for the same problem on the Tacoma and other vehicles. Again, my VIN was not included in the second recall. I contacted Toyota hq to address the problem. They noted it, but have taken no action. My vehicle has the problem identified in both recalls for the same vehicle, yet my VIN is not included. I'm concerned about my safety and others since this problem can prevent the airbag from deploying in an accident. I believe there could be a gap in the scope of Toyota's recall for this problem. Please help.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Aug 012013

Tacoma

Like many other Toyota Tacoma owners, my airbag dashboard light intermittently illuminated last year. After researching it, Toyota had issued a press release acknowledging a problem with the "spiral cable" and indicated they were gathering the parts and would send letters to owners. I never received a letter and after inquiring, my VIN was excluded from the recall campaign. After researching a bit more, it appears many Tacoma owners have the same issue and were excluded from the recall campaign. The airbag dashboard light now illuminates continuously. The dealership said it would be $106 to diagnose the problem (we all know it's a spiral cable issue) and from all accounts, the spiral cable replacement cost is North of $500 (even though Toyota's press release indicated it is a 30 minute fix). By the way, the dealership told me the airbag would not deploy in the event of a frontal crash as long as the airbag dashboard light is illuminated. The cost of repair is out of range for most and it was obvious the dealership had little concern for the safety of the occupants. This is a serious safety issue and the NHTSA is failing to analyze the data and make a compelling case to Toyota to expand the affected range of vins included in the recall campaign. It is yet another black eye for Toyota for demonstrating a lack of concern for a serious safety issue that could end up seriously injuring or killing a vehicle occupant, unnecessarily. Given the recent publicity of the fine levied against Toyota and the grilling GM is now taking, you would expect the automakers to step up their game. My observation is that they simply don't care. If NHTSA is not forcing their hands on safety issues, it's obvious car manufacturers no longer have incentive to do the right thing. NHTSA, we're counting on you to analyze this data for safety sake.

- Dunkirk, MD, USA

Sep 012013

Tacoma

The contact owns as 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 12V092000 (air bags) however, the vehicle was not included in the recall campaign. The manufacture and dealer were both made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Dunkirk, MD, USA

Jan 252007

Tacoma 6-cyl

Passenger side airbag does not work due to faulty wiring harness under the passenger seat. Upon investigation of online resources it was found that this is a recurring problem with the Tacoma model.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Oct 112013

Tacoma 6-cyl

Driver's air bag warning appeared, later disappeared. This has happened often over the last year. Activation of the turn signal sometimes causes this. Other times the warning light just appears by itself. A blow to the steering column sometimes causes the light to go out. This seems to be the problem address in recall NHTSA # 12V092000 but Toyota says my truck does not have a recall for this. Is my truck covered or not?

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jan 192012

Tacoma 4-cyl

The vehicle has never been in an accident and is not modified in any way. The vehicle is 8 years and has 64,000 miles. Air bag indicator light came on. Dealer diagnosed faulty spiral cable, $500 repair. After repair, condition returned. Subsequently a recall was issued by Toyota for the spiral cable. New spiral cable was installed by dealer. Airbag indicator light returned within 1 week. Returned to dealer, new diagnosis: Need to replace engine wiring harness. Cost $2300 + tax. Dispute started with Toyota usa. Toyota subsequently offered to pay for 1/2 of the cost of the replacement part, leaving me to pay the other half and the replacement labor. Text of recall: "due to combination of factors, a part in the steering wheel assembly in your vehicle called the spiral cable may become damaged. If damage occurs, this can affect the electrical connection to several systems, including the driver┐'s air bag. Such damage would cause the air bag warning light to stay on after starting the engine, and the air bag may not work. This could increase the risk of injury to the driver in a crash in which the air bag is designed to inflate." The critical part of the recall notice is "the spiral cable may become damaged. If damage occurs, this can affect the electrical connection to several systems, including the driver┐'s air bag". it appears that Toyota recognizes the effect of a damaged spiral cable (the issue of the recall) on other systems but refuses to repair any such damage when found. The spiral cable has been replace twice, the air bag light is still on, and according to nys law the vehicle will not pass inspection because of the failure of a factory installed safety component.

- Bridgehampton, NY, USA

Sep 092012

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that after having repairs performed on the vehicle under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V092000 (air bags:frontal), the air bag warning light illuminated sporadically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that there was an ECM air bag malfunction. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance and referred her to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 110,000.

- Long Beach , CA, USA

Aug 312012

Tacoma 4-cyl

Just started my truck up to go to work as usual and after about 1/2 a mile the airbag light came on. My truck has never been in an accident and the airbags have never been deployed before so I wanted to get it checked out when I got to work. As an ase certified technician I hooked up my scan tool and pulled code B1801-open in D squib circuit. So I examined it more and pulled up airbag operation data passenger buckle sw (seatbelt) unplugged=unset plugged in=set D seat pos with seatbelt unbuckled=bkwrd buckled=frwrd driver buckle sw unplugged=unset and plugged in=unset. I followed the Toyota motor sales usa Inc trouble tree for this dtc and came to the conclusion that the spiral cable needs replaced. Went online and googled the dtc and have found several complaints and questions about this dtc. Several failures of the spiral cable. This seems like it is a manufacturing defect that has been designed to fail. I feel Toyota needs to step up and correct the defective parts.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Apr 222009

Tacoma 6-cyl

Replacement of spiral cable assembly, diagnosis, paper work to take 4 hours to six hours to complete. This was quoted to me by your Toyota dealership ( precision Toyota) in the tucson area. Yet the notification states only 30 minutes is needed to replace.

- Rio Rico, AZ, USA

May 142011

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Hanna Croix, NY, USA

Oct 112011

Tacoma

SRS lite came on and never has gone out, for the driverside air bag. After investagating this problem, it seems that hundreds of these Toyota have the same problem. At the dearship, diagnosis, is about $115 to pull the code, and then run up to about $500 for repairs. The spiral cable in the steering colomne has a short life. 35K mile on some and up in miles after that for others. SRS systems such as this I understand is lifetime warrenty. That may be cut short if the air bag does not inflate if needed. Toyota should be responable, and fix this problem, as the cost of repair is out of reach for many people. Using inferior wires, that is not the consumers fault. I bought this Toyota new, thinking that Toyota will last a long time, it has been serviced at the dealership regular, and on time. Please help in this matter, as it affects many owners and life. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6)

- Yuba City, CA, USA

Jan 062012

Tacoma 6-cyl

Air bags light came on for no reason.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Dec 282011

Tacoma 6-cyl

2005 Toyota Tacoma SR5 dbl cab, 6 cyl, 4.0 eng. 50K miles, 4 wheel drive, manual transmission: Driver side airbag light turned on and stays on. I have searched the internet for info. On it and have found a lot of people have been having this problem. Going by the info. Found on line, from google to newsgroups it seems that the spiral cable in the steering column is failing at a alarming rate. The Toyota dealers are just charging for diagnostics and not admitting a product defect. I am taking mine to the dealer and is $117 just to diagnose it.. and I know this takes them 10 min or less to hook it up to the computer and get the error codes printed. This dealers are charging $90 to $120 just for the diagnostic.. and it seems the repairs can go from $300 up to $800. SRS (air bag) issues should be covered for the life of a vehicle or SRS (air bags) should be optional! if it is a required part like a seat belt Toyota should cover the part free. Please take time to review my compliant and those of others.

- Port Jervis, NY, USA

Oct 052011

Tacoma 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The dealer advised the contact that the spiral cable needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure however, did not offer any assistance. No repairs were performed. The current and failure mileages were 95,261. Updated 10/27/11

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jul 282011

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

My airbag light came on when driving one day. As I did research, it seems that the spiral cable in the steering wheel in the newer Tacoma are faulty. There are entirely too many of these things going bad. A simple search on google for Tacoma spiral cable brings up scores of people with these things going bad, some at 30-40 thousand miles! it is rediculous that Toyota has had this ongoing problem and done nothing! after all the crap about unintended acceleration and floormats I would expect them to address this issue, but apparently safety systems are't that important to them. Not only do they have chronic failures, but the dealerships are more than happy to charge $100 to diagnose the problem, even though almost every case is the spiral cable. The total bill comes to anywhere from 4-500 dollars depending on the dealership, for a repair that shouldn't happen in the first place. Normal wear and tear is one thing, but since when is there normal wear and tear on air bags?

- Willow Street, PA, USA