2005 Toyota Tacoma suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Tacoma:

2005 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Apr 082006

Tacoma 6-cyl

The frame of the truck is rusting out at an accelerated rate. The welds are rusting out at high stress points (engine mounts and suspension areas). Toyota has a history of this problem with the Tacoma.

- Edgewood, KY, USA

Mar 032014

Tacoma 6-cyl

I took my truck to get it inspected and they said there are holes in the frame a large as my hand. It will not pass inspection and cannot be driven. I have been driving my 2 little sons around in this vehicle which has been unsafe for a long time. The holes are big enough to have started years ago as a small hole which make the truck undrivable. I have a nice looking truck that cannot be driven. The 1st generation Tacoma were recalled for this same reason. What is Toyota going to do?

- Callicoon Center, NY, USA

Jan 172014

Tacoma 6-cyl

The frame on my 2005 Toyota Tacoma pre runner is completely rusted out due to a flaw in the manufacturing process. The recall was 3 months past the date of the end of the recall. Now my vehicle has large cracks in the frame and is no longer safe. This issue still exists in the 2005 model and must be addressed for public safety. There was a recall that covered this problem up until the end of 2004. Mine was purchased in the beginning of 2005. This is a known problem with this truck and is being ignored by Toyota. They are failing to repair this and picking and choosing if they infact want to repair some trucks and not others. Toyotas options on the fact that my truck has a manufacture defect that is unsafe to drive. Please help!!

- New Smyrna, FL, USA

Dec 192013

Tacoma 6-cyl

During a repair visit to Toyota service center I was informed that my frame was rusting in several places. I was told that at the present time the vehicle was safe to drive but that the rust would continue and lead to an unsafe condition. Toyota is aware of rusting problems with previous model years. I see that the 2004 and earlier model years were recalled for rusting frames. Dealerships was also aware of an increase in frame rusting cases in 2005 Tacoma trucks as well. Truck only has 66,000 miles and was not used for heavy hauling. Repair or reinforcement is not an option. Only remedy offered by Toyota was for me to replace the frame at a cost of $13,000. I feel this is an unsafe design flaw that needs to be addressed.

- Essex, MD, USA

Dec 242013

Tacoma 6-cyl

Started hearing rubbing/grinding type noise coming from front end. Inspected and found lf cv axle leaking grease, so thought the noise was coming from there. Replaced lf cv axle, and the noise did not go away. Inspected further and found drivers side frame where the motor mount bracket is welded to cracked, causing the motor to flex and the fan to rub on the fan shroud. Contacted Toyota, who instructed me to get it inspected at a dealership. Took to Toyota dealer, who told me there was no evidence of driver abuse, no rust, not really anything that showed why the weld had broken, but that Toyota did not want to do anything due to aftermarket lift and oversized tired. Lift was already installed on vehicle when purchased at a Toyota dealership. Toyota corporate told me they did not want to help because vehicle is out of factory warranty. The steering shaft is directly under the part of the motor that is sagging down, and I am afraid if it were to break completely it might stop the vehicle from being able to turn. Also, is there now extra stress on any of the wiring" is it flexing and potentially breaking any fuel lines" I have done some reasearch on this, and found a lot of peolple having the same issues with their trucks. Toyota has started putting updated frames with more support for the motor mounts on the 2007 models, knowing there were issues with the 05/06S, but are refusing to acknowledge the problem and fix the ones that have broken.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 012006

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the rear suspension shocks had been replaced more than eight times due to a recurring failure. The contact also mentioned that when the vehicle had warranty the dealer replaced the component each time until the contact's factory warranty had become expired. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and the technician stated that both shocks had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 36,000. The current mileage was 172,180.

- Aibonito, PR, USA

Sep 192013

Notified by dealer truck would not pass inspection due to frame being cracked and rusted. Toyota will not cover repairs. Is not safe to drive. Sub frame isn't deteriated like frame.

- Leechburg, PA, USA

Jul 312013

Tacoma 8-cyl

Took vehicle in for inspection, notified that the frame has excessive corrosion (rust) on the entire frame with signs of metal separation. A crack was also noted on the passenger side where the front and back parts of the C-frame are welded together. When the surface rust was ground away, the crack was 5" long and the bottom of the C-frame had two large perforations. With this condition, the vehicle will not pass the inspection. The dealer contacted regional rep and owner contacted Toyota customer service - both advised no assistance and the frames were of a different production lot then the prior recall (2nd gen vs 1st gen). Also cited age and mileage being a factor. Other than the frame, the vehicle is in very good condition. 2005 Tacoma with 131000 miles should still be a passable vehicle.

- Franklin, MA, USA

Jun 262013

Tacoma 6-cyl

As I was leaving work I slowly drove over a speed bump. The rear end of my truck began to bounce like a boat in choppy water. I got out and looked to see if I had a low tire. All four tires were fine so I kept looking. Upon closer inspection to the left rear wheel well, I noticed that the shock rod had broken off at the theaded end and shot straight through the bed of my truck. I immediately took the truck to glenn Toyota for inspection. Initially they took great interest until after they learned that Toyota manufacturing would not cover the catastrophic failure. Now the truck rides like a boat in choppy water and even the slightest bump in the road causes an exaggerated response in the suspension making it dangerous to drive. There is no previous history of damage to the vehicle nor has it been mistreated.

- Lexington, KY, USA

May 242013

Tacoma 6-cyl

The Toyota dealership where I purchased my new 2005 Tacoma 7 yrs ago, informed me my truck will not pass state inspection due to holes rusted through the frame. The largest of the holes was located under the driver's side on the inside of the main box frame component. There are similar holes along other box style frame parts. These rust holes originated from the inside of the box frame and not from where any rust preventative could be applied by the owner. Any post production application of undercoating or underbody oil by the owner to the interior of these boxed areas is not possible since they are inaccessible. The dealership informed me that there was nothing they can do without Toyota headquarters approval. I called the Toyota customer relations line at 1-800-331-4331 and after a long conversation with the representative I was told that my truck model was not covered by either a vehicle warranty or a remedial action by Toyota. Researching this issue on the internet reveals that Toyota Tacoma models have had frame rusting problems consistently since the mid 90's. my options from Toyota, all at my own expense, are to: 1. find a frame shop that can patch these holes but most likely the patch will only last a year. 2. have the frame replaced which the dealership roughly estimated it to be close to $12,000. 3. junk the truck and get a new vehicle. I bought this truck expecting to get at least 300-400K miles. The truck looks new, the body has no rust, it has no mechanical problems and runs great. I have religiously followed the recommended service schedule.

- Titusville, PA, USA

Dec 142012

Tacoma 6-cyl

Vehicle was at dealer shop for brake job and technician reported rusted-through failure of frame which renders the vehicle unsafe to drive. This is a second generation Tacoma, 2005 model year.

- Frankfort, KY, USA

Apr 112012

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that an abnormal ticking nose was heard from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that the U-joint needed replacing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,500 and the current mileage was 76,000.

- Willard , ND, USA

Apr 022012

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

Sudden onset of steering intermediate shaft U-joint seizing making steering difficult. Also lost return-to-center of steering. This could pose a serious risk of over-steering into oncoming traffic when making a left hand turn at a tee intersection. The unprotected U-joint is exposed to striking of road debris and salt spray. The U-joint does not have grease fittings or any obvious means of lubrication. Internet research suggests this is a very common defect for Toyota Tacoma with approximately 75K or more miles starting with model years 2005 and newer.

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA

May 192010

Tacoma 6-cyl

2005 prerunner SR5 had grinding sound from right front at about 40mph when turning left. No sound when turning right. Dealer checked and determined left front wheel bearing was bad. Replaced left front wheel bearing ($516.32). When leaving dealer lot after picking up the truck I noticed the sound still came from the right front wheel. Brought back to dealer who checked again and determined right front wheel bearing was bad. Also said left rear may be going bad. Cost to replace right front wheel bearing $337.01 (dealer didn't charge labor this time). About 1 year after bearings replaced the grinding sound has returned. Vehicle now has about 107K miles. Reluctant to return to dealer and pay another $800-$1000 to repair wheel bearings that appear to be either poor quality or installed incorrectly. Dealer claims replacing wheel bearings at 80K miles is not abnormal.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Aug 012009

I purchased a brand new Tacoma 2005 trd 4X4 4 door from the dealer in 2004. In 2009 the truck started making popping, cracking, and squeaking noises from the suspension and from the engine. Now, the truck makes squeaking and cracking noises just getting in and out of the truck and even just opening and closing the door. I took the truck into several shops could not determine the cause. I started researching online, found numerous 2005 Tacoma's with the same problem. This is when I found out that several recalls were made on Tacoma, but we were never notified. On 12/9/2010, I called the dealer, I was told that Toyota acknowledge popping noise from the engine on 6/28/2005 and acknowledge rear suspension squeaking noises on 8/13/2009, but the dealer claimed that the truck has to be under 3 years old or 36,000 miles to cover under warranty. This is manufacture defects, Toyota should be responsible for correcting this problem, they did not notified the owner within warranty period.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Jul 152008

I purchased a 2005 Tacoma double cab 4X4 short bed with trd off road package and tow package new in Nov 2004. At 37K miles I put a set of trd sport wheel takeoffs on my truck. When I had them balanced and rotated at 47K (for the second time) I notice a slight vibration that seemed to come and go, different speeds, etc. I took it back and had it checked again. They swapped fronts to back and that seemed to cure it. The same thing happened at 52K and again at 56K miles. The tire man talked about replacing the tires if it would make me happy. At 60K miles I put on a new set of top of the line tires. It still has the vibration. If it's not the tires, the truck has never been wrecked or damaged, what is causing this problem? it seems that several others have similar problems and no one has a solution.

- Knoxville, TN, USA