3.1

2009 Toyota Tacoma lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Tacoma:

2009 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Dec 072012

Tacoma

Running lights have melted, cracked and have brown color on plastic. Contacted Toyota dealer (sun Toyota) and they said it's not under warranty. Contacted Toyota Corp and they said that they haven't heard of this happening. I believe there is a potential of a fire happening.

- Holiday, FL, USA

Dec 032012

Tacoma 6-cyl

The headlamp assembly: Running lights build up excess heat and burns/cracks the lens. This has occurred on both passenger and drivers sides. On the drivers side the lens has broken and fallen out of place.

- Menifee, CA, USA

Jan 032012

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the daytime running lights were melting the headlight lenses. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the lenses would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and offered to pay for the cost of the lens but not for the labor costs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 51,000.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Nov 282012

Tacoma 6-cyl

Daytime running lights are causing melting and cracking of the lens covering from the inside. I took my vehicle to a Toyota dealership in tampa, Florida. Vehicle was inspected. I called Toyota customer service on November 28, 2012 and explained that this is a fire hazard and requested it be repaired. Toyota customer service called me back on November 28, 2012 and said that because the "original factory warranty" had expired so that there would be no remedy offered by Toyota. This problem is well documented online on various Tacoma / Toyota owners' sites. Personnel at the dealership told me that the "replacement part" had been re-designed to eliminate this problem....so Toyota is aware of the problem. The headlight is progressively getting worse. It seems that the daytime running lights were not properly engineered in this model. Because of the defect there is a clear conscience the melting lenses create an obvious fire hazard. The Toyota dealership where I purchased my Tacoma in the tampa Florida area advised me that Toyota has no recall of extended warranty for this "known" problem. I was very dismayed to hear this because the issue is clearly presents a threat to the driver. Because of this situation I have to make a decision on what options are available to me. Either I replace the entire headlight assembly with the Toyota factory assembly which is already known to have a defect or I figure out a way to disable the daytime running lights to cut back on the head that builds up with them constantly being on. I would rather not disable the daytime running lights because I believe that they do provide significant safety value. I am not sure what I am going to do at this point but clearly action is needed. I would like Toyota to step up to the plate and replace the defective potentially harmful headlight assemblies.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Nov 082012

Tacoma 6-cyl

Daytime running lights are causing melting and cracking of the lens covering from the inside. I took my vehicle to a Toyota dealership in superior wi. Vehicle was inspected. The service manager called Toyota financial services, issuer of my platinum vehicle service agreement, and then called me a few hours later to say that my claim had been denied because "lamps" are not covered. I called Toyota customer service on November 15, 2012 and explained that this is a fire hazard and requested it be repaired. Toyota customer service called me back on November 19, 2012 and said that because the "original factory warranty" had expired so that there would be no remedy offered by Toyota. This problem is well documented online on various Tacoma / Toyota owners' sites. Personnel at the dealership told me that the "replacement part" had been re-designed to eliminate this problem....so Toyota is aware of the problem.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Oct 222012

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the daytime running lights would cause the headlight lens to overheat, melting the plastic lenses. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that there was a bulletin from the manufacturer that stated if any headlight was defective they have to replace both headlights. The dealer will repair the failure of the parts free of charge, but the contact has to pay for the labor. The manufacturer was notified and advised the contact that there were no recalls and offered no further assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 37,800.

- Marshville, CA, USA

Oct 222012

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the headlight lenses became melted and cracked. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for inspection but they only took pictures of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified who stated that the vehicle was out of warranty. The failure mileage was 37,383.

- Princeton, NC, USA

Tacoma 6-cyl

The daytime running lights have melted and cracked the lens/plastic. These are also used as front end turn signals. If these fail, it could be a major safety hazard. While there is a tsb, the dealership denied to pay for replacements since my 36K warranty has now expired. This is not something that just started to happen and Toyota is aware of the problem.

- Cary, NC, USA

Oct 102011

Tacoma 6-cyl

After completing an oil change on my 2009 Toyota Tacoma in October of 2011 I noticed that the amber lens in the headlight was discolored and seemed to be melting due to overheating. Over the past year I have been monitoring the situation and noticed that the melting and cracking of the amber lens inside of the headlight is progressively getting worse. It seems that the daytime running lights were not properly engineered in this model. Because of the defect there is a clear concern for driver safety. The melting lenses create an obvious fire hazard. The Toyota dealership where I purchased my Tacoma in the metro atlanta area advised me that Toyota has no recall of extended warranty for this "known" problem. I was very dismayed to hear this because the issue is clearly presents a threat to the driver. Because of this situation I have to make a decision on what options are available to me. Either I replace the entire headlight assembly with the Toyota factory assembly which is already known to have a defect or purchase and aftermarket headlight assembly and hope the it is engineered better than the Toyota one, or I figure out a way to disable the daytime running lights to cut back on the head that builds up with them constantly being on. I would rather not disable the daytime running lights because I believe that they do provide significant safety value. I am not sure what I am going to do at this point but clearly action is needed. I would like Toyota to step up to the plate and replace the defective potentially harmful headlight assemblies.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Oct 012012

Tacoma

We have noticed the daytime running lights lens are melting and cracking on both sides. I think this is a safety issue, possible fire hazard.

- Humboldt, TN, USA

Jun 012010

Tacoma

The daytime running lights (drl's) on my 2009 Tacoma have bubbled up and cracked the lens/plastic. I am not sure if this is because the bulb is too close to the plastic or the wattage is too high for the plastic. The drl's are also used as front end turn signals. If these fail, it could be a major safety hazard. Dealership denied to pay for replacement for it is not covered under the agreements of my extended warranty.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Aug 202012

Tacoma 6-cyl

The running / parking lights are burning through and melting the lens covers on both sides of headlight assemblies. There are visible burn marks and cracks on the lens for both sides of the vehicle.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 022012

Tacoma 4-cyl

The plastic lens covering the daytime running lights/blinkers are melting and cracked. The cause appears to be from the lights which are on when the engine is on. Left and right side lens are melted.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Sep 082011

Tacoma 6-cyl

On the headlight assembly of my vehicle both of the running light lenses are melting. They first started to bubble and I noticed it at approximately 40,000 miles. I took it into the dealership to have it checked out and they said that the warranty would not cover it and offered no fix. Recently, I looked at the lenses again and they are now cracked and burnt. The plugs that the bulbs are in are burnt as well. Toyota told me they would pay half of the damages, but not the whole thing. In Toyota's service bulletin that they published in 2011, it states that the 2005-2011 vehicles have defective headlights and came out with a new designed headlight for them. With that said, my Tacoma is a 2009 model. One of my biggest worries regarding this defect is the fact that I like to go on road-trips in my vehicle which sometimes requires me to drive for long periods of time. I am concerned that over time the lenses will melt completely and cause a fire or short in the wires. I have three small children and I should not have to worry about defected headlights catching fire and endangering them. The last time I went to the Toyota dealership, I walked around and looked at the used Tacoma's and found the same issues on almost all of vehicles. Like I said my biggest thing is my safety and Toyota knows that they manufactured a defective headlight and refuse complete responsibility for it.

- Orangevale, CA, USA

Aug 092012

Tacoma

Both front amber daytime running light lenses melting, bubbling and cracking from bulb heat. Active tsb but not valid after 36,000.

- Corsicana, TX, USA

Jan 012011

Tacoma 6-cyl

Running lights melting, possible fire threat.

- Boca Raton , FL, USA

Tacoma 6-cyl

The drls/turn signals of the 2009 Toyota Tacoma have a faulty design resulting with the lens melting (Toyota calls it bubbling) and cracking. Toyota did issue a recent tsb (T-sb-0129-11) to replace the headlight assemblies on impacted trucks. Several model years were included. The tsb is worded that only trucks with less than 36K miles and less than 36 months old will be repaired. My truck had about 40K miles and was about 34 months old when I finally took it to the local dealer. I didn't bring it in when I first noticed the defect because I didn't think Toyota would even consider not replacing the lights because it's an obvious design defect. Some of the older models mentioned in the tsb would have been older than 36 months when the tsb was released. Drls were developed so other drivers can better see you. A melted drl lens will dim the brightness of the light to other drivers. Toyota should be repairing all the damaged headlight assemblies.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Jul 122012

Tacoma

The lens on my daytime running lights are melting, and I'm worried about it might causing electrical problems or even causing a fire.

- Bountiful, UT, USA

Jul 122012

- Bountiful, UT, USA

Tacoma 6-cyl

I noticed that the dtrl had started to melt the amber lenses and brought it to the attention of my local dealer. Although I was still within the warranty mileage, I was over by a few months on the 36-month warranty (I bought the truck used in Dec-2011.) I just heard from my local dealer that I've been trying to work with concerning the melting lenses in my '09 Tacoma trd. I tried to get Toyota to replace the lamp assembly and they would only cover half of the replacement and subsequent re-aiming of the head lights. I then printed out some instructions to install a Toyota relay and jumper wires to turn the dtrl function off, leaving the turn signal function alone. According to the dealer, Toyota will not sign off on, nor allow their dealers to make this modification, even though the parts are all Toyota oem parts. I would also strongly suggest that every owner of a Tacoma that is having any issue (melting, bubbling, cracking etc.) with the dtrl's write Toyota corporate expressing their deep disappointment with the quality of Toyota products and the corporations lack of concern for the customers safety buying the product. With all the negative that Toyota has received during the past few years over safety related issues, you would think that Toyota would be falling all over themselves to correct a known safety issue in a required system, instead of tap dancing around like they are doing. As a retired law enforcement officer, I find that the response I've been receiving from Toyota to be particularly disappointing, especially since this is a safety issue involving a mandated lighting system. The staff at NHTSA is welcome to contact me at any time to discuss this.

- La Mesa, CA, USA