4.1

2010 Toyota Tacoma engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Tacoma:

2010 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Aug 252014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Tacoma. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle hesitated intermittently without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 17,000. Updated 1/16/15 the consumer also stated the vehicle would stall. Updated 01/27/15

- East Andover, ME, USA

Nov 222013

Tacoma 6-cyl

As I was turning left into a parking space between two cars, the truck started to accelerate. I applied the breaks, but the car was fighting against the breaks. I put both feet on the brakes and the truck was stopped but the back wheels were spinning at a very high rate causing squealing on the pavement. While "standing with both feet on the brake, I put the truck into neutral - no change in the acceleration. I put the truck into park, the wheels continued to spin... I finally turned off the ignition and the truck jerked and the engine cut. The wheels then stopped. The acceleration lasted about 10 seconds. No one was hurt. No damage to any vehicles. But there could have been sever damages. Incident occurred on November 22nd, 2013.

- Ladson, SC, USA

May 212012

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that once the vehicle was turned on, the rpms increased to 1500 for seven minutes. The contact stated that the vehicle felt as if it were going to suddenly accelerate. The vehicle was turned off however, the failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure or generate a failure code from diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 14,000 and the current mileage was 25,500. Updated 12/30/13 the consumer stated from a cold start, RPM at 1500 did not decrease to a safe RPM 700 for 7 minutes, which caused undue wear and tire to entire drive train, transmission universal joints and rear axle.

- Northwood, NH, USA

Jun 142012

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

Shortly after I purchased the above vehicle on June 17, 2010 I was in a shopping center parking lot when suddenly the engine raced to a very high speed and I had to quickly place the transmission in neutral to avoid lunging forward. I called the Toyota dealer where I purchased the vehicle and they told me to bring it in which I immediately did. Without performing any checks on the vehicle the service manager and I went for a drive and he concluded it was the manner I was moving my foot from the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal that caused it to occur. For a while I was satisfied with his answer but on another occasion about a year ago the same thing happened and I thought I had subconsciously did the same thing with my foot to cause the problem. However this past Thursday I was again stopped at an intersection and the engine suddenly went into full throttle and my foot was nowhere near the accelerator pedal. Once again I had to quickly place the transmission in neutral in order to avoid moving into the intersection and causing an accident.

- Sinking Spring, PA, USA