2011 Toyota Tacoma drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Tacoma:

2011 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Dec 162013

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

First experienced clutch slippage under acceleration in 4th gear about 240 miles into a 300 mile trip on 12/16. Again later the same day I experienced more severe clutch slippage in 3rd and 4th gear while trying to merge onto I-95 and was almost rear ended by a waste truck due to lack of acceleration (slippage). 20 miles later I experienced pronounced clutch slippage at 50-55 mph in 5th gear during acceleration. Next day, 12/17 I experienced clutch slippage in 4th and 5th gear 20 miles into my trip to work on I-95. Wednesday 12/18 I took my truck to champion Toyota in philadelphia pa, explained the symptoms and the scenario in which it occurred which is after truck is run for 20 miles and at highway speeds. Toyota tech allegedly drove the truck alone around a residential neighborhood for 5 miles and about 3 miles with myself on board and driving. No slippage was found according to Toyota tech. I noticed the a slight slip in 3rd gear while I was driving, although the tech disagreed. Service writer stated if it happens again, to leave the truck overnight and a tech or service manager would take it home. I will constantly monitor this (what I consider) a dangerous situation. I would also like to note that there is a Toyota service bulletin regarding defective mexican made clutches installed in some 2006-2011 Toyota Tacoma 5 speed trucks. I would also like to note that I am have been an auto mechanic for over 35 years.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 302011

Tacoma 6-cyl

Intermittent problem. When coming to a stop, a harsh bump/lunge is felt in the transmission. At times to the point where I feel as though, I have been bumped from a vehicle from behind. If the brake is not firmly pressed, the vehicle will move forward. Have been told this is normal and ok. Have been told a tsb exists for the problem. Have had the ECU memory cleared to try to resolve the problem. Problem still exists.

- Moyock, NC, USA