2011 Toyota Tacoma engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Tacoma:

2011 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Jun 282016

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Tacoma. While driving 2 mph, the contact pulled the vehicle into a parking space and suddenly accelerated approximately 18 feet before crashing into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed. There were two injuries that required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 13V014000 (air bags, seats). The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000. The manufacturer was not notified.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jan 062015

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

I am writing about a sudden acceleration problem I had with my 2011 4X4 Tacoma. On January 6th, I was returning from an appointment. I left the parking lot going about 10-20mph, I drove 1/10th of a mile down the access road when I went to brake at the intersection. As soon as I touched the brake the engine dramatically increased its speed and the truck started to accelerate. I immediately applied full pressure to the brake to stop the truck but the engine was still highly rev'd and I could feel the truck trying to accelerate. As soon as I shifted the transmission into neutral the engine revs went back to normal idle speed and the truck stopped trying to move forward. Other details are that the outside temperature was between 10-20F, roads were clear and dry and the truck was in 2wd. After I checked the accelerator pedal, it was free and clear of any obstruction that could have made it stick. The truck was purchased new in Oct 2011 and currently had about 24K miles on it. The truck had been driven about 5 miles to the appointment, sat for about an hour before the return trip home. It was fortunate that this did not cause an accident. Being aware of the prior sudden acceleration problems in the news with Toyota this seems to be a case where it has occurred on a 2011 model. The following week I submitted this same information to Toyota.

- Strafford, NH, USA

Feb 102014

While pulling my truck into the garage, I applied the brake. I was slowing down and heard the acceleration traction control turn on and my truck lunged forward about one to two feet. The front of my truck hit against some items in my garage and broke my headlight housing on the passenger side and scratched my bumper.

- Gladstone, MI, USA

Sep 232013

Tacoma 6-cyl

Have noticed this issue ever since purchasing the vehicle new, but it was most obvious on the first long mountainous road trip this week: With cruise control engaged when beginning up steep inclines, the cruise control guns the engine, pushing the vehicle to speeds nearly 5mph over the cruise control set speed. Was traveling interstate highways, so by "steep" I mean nothing more than interstate standards. It is an unexpected increase in speed and dangerous to the point that I eventually started disengaging cruise control going up inclines.

- Oroville, CA, USA

Apr 242012

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Tacoma. The contact was driving approximately 65 mph when there was a rapid increase in acceleration and engine rpms. The malfunction occurred unexpectedly when the cruise control was in activation. The vehicle came to a stop once the brake pedal was engaged and then resumed normally. The vehicle had not been diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 6,000.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Nov 022011

Tacoma 4-cyl

Sudden unintended acceleration. Time was 6:55 am. I was on work property having just turned left from a light. I was 5 th car in line to make a right turn. All cars were stopped. My foot was lightly pressing break. The next thing I know, my truck was ramming the SUV in front of me. No way my foot could have touched gas was a traffic jam. It's like this every morning. I contacted Toyota right away. They denied it, but sent out an eng to get black box data. I never heard from them again.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA