2.2

2011 Toyota Tacoma steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Tacoma:

2011 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

May 042011

Tacoma

Spiral cable diagnosed as needing replacement by a Toyota dealer in may of 2011, replaced by an independant repair facility in December of 2011. A recall notice was sent out regarding this issue shortly after I had the repairs made. I sent Toyota copies of my receipts to get reimbursed in may of 2016. Toyota will not reimburse me for the repairs since the repair order of the independent repair facility did not do a diagnosis. I did not ask them to, since Toyota had already done so. The symptom of the issue was a check engine light on the dashboard that was always on. The cable would wear prematurely, causing a short, which caused the check engine light.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Mar 172015

Tacoma

My horn does not work when I press on the steering wheel unless I turn the wheels to the right or to the left then it will work. I took in my truck to the Toyota dealer and they told me this is not covered under the warranty and that they will have to charge me $130 to look at it. I told them that this is a safety issue. When I am driving and something happens and I have to beep someone I cannot do that no matter how much I press on the steering wheel. I bought this car new. I owned other cars before but this is the first time I drove a car with no horn. To me it seems to be a manufacturer issue I believe Toyota should repair this at no charge.

- Morton Grove, IL, USA

Apr 152014

Tacoma

The steering is very stiff. Very uncomfortable to drive. Constantly feels like you're fighting it. For instance going down the interstate in a slight curve, feels like pulls back. Very stiff steering, especially when turning. Looked up similar complaints online. From what I read, it appears to be possible the intermediate steering shaft. From the descriptions I've read, it's a poor design. Maybe needs some protection from the elements. Like a rubber boot to protect it from the elements. Just very stiff steering and difficult to steer.

- Mt. Holly, NC, USA

Oct 012011

Tacoma

On 10/1/2011 while driving 40 mph on dry pavement, slight curve, pu beep in dash as it went into oncoming lane to left quick, I hit brakes "clunk" took both hands to pull to right and off the road. Felt like power steering went or lost a wheel. Would of hit someone head on if was meeting a car or truck. No cell service, so decided to slowly turn around, and try to get home==1 mi. Or less. Parked. Called dealership, they said they would have towed, but if they find nothing I have to pay. I drove up tues., they said nothing wrong. Probably leveling--because I put a 3" lift on it. I now am afraid to drive my new pu. 2,600 mi. They said they put on machine, but no print out as it showed nothing wrong"???"

- Bandon, OR, USA