2012 Toyota Tacoma brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Tacoma:

2012 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Jul 162016

Tacoma

My 2012 Toyota Tacoma prerunner 2wd has 54,640 miles. I just got a check engine light and "trac off" light yesterday. My truck would accelerate to just 25 mph when merging onto the interstate and top speed was around 50 mph. This is a serious safety issue and Toyota will not cover this known problem under the standard 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. Autozone ran the diagnostic scan and came up with trouble codes P2440 and P2442. These are tied to the secondary air injection system and switching valves. The Toyota dealership said this would cost me close to $2000 to repair. I paid $30,000 for this vehicle brand new just 4 years ago. This needs to become a class action lawsuit so that a safety recall is issued for Toyota to repair this known defect for free.

- Arlington, TN, USA

Jun 032016

Tacoma

As I've read from numerous other 2012 Tacoma owners on tacomaworld.com, my secondary air injection switching valve has failed at 65K miles. This seems to be a recurring issue with all 2012 similar Tacoma models and should absolutely be recalled and replaced for free! until fixed, my truck is undrivable, meaning the cel light is on and the truck won't go faster than 30 mph.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

May 042016

Tacoma

Check engine light came on and vehicle was not going past 2K RPM and over 20mph. Connected to an onboard diagnostic reader which gave me codes P2440 and P2442- secondary air injection valve stuck open bank 1 & 2. vehicle has less than 50,000 miles and only 4 years old and Toyota does not cover faulty equipment under any warranty (powertrain or federal emissions) although they have issued Canada tsb 3861 acknowledging the deficiency, but leaving the owner to pay $645 for the replacement part from Toyota dealer. This is unsatisfactory- they must be held accountable for a vehicle still within powertrain (60,000mi) or federal emission (80,000mi) warranty.

- Belmont, CA, USA

Mar 152016

Tacoma

ABS goes off unexpectedly in low speeds/high speeds...dry/wet conditions...usually on winding roads with grade fluctuations causing vehicle to slide into oncoming traffic. This has been going on since my purchase in 2012. Thankfully I have not been in an accident due to this but lots of close calls. Toyota refuses to resolve this issue, and denys that it happens.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 242015

Tacoma

Brakes on vehicle lock-up and are overly sensitive. On many occasions when driving on wet pavement at slows speeds the ABS engaged and locked the brakes with only very light pressure on the brake pedal. On one occasion when driving at 10-15 mph in a parking lot in snow, a light touch to the brake locked up the brakes causing the vehicle to become unstable and crash. I have had four other Toyota trucks, three of them Tacoma and none of them had this braking issue. Barely pressing the brakes shouldn't cause them to lock up which causes the vehicle to become very unstable. Luckily it does it more often at low speeds. It's a major safety concern as the vehicle becomes undrivable.

- Reno, NV, USA

Apr 052014

Tacoma 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway, in light rain. My car randomly engaged a system that slowed my vehicle down. This resulted in my losing traction with the road, my truck began to hydroplane. My truck spun and moved towards the highway median. The median had a V-ditch, my front passenger tire impacted the V-ditch and flipped my vehicle. If it weren't for my seat belt locking and side airbags deploying it may have been a fatal accident. It was a life threatening accident.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA