2012 Toyota Tacoma brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Tacoma:

2012 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Oct 302012

Tacoma

Shortly after buying my Tacoma new I noticed that my anti-lock brakes were sensitive and would lock up without warning and the stopping distance can vary every time I apply the brakes. I brought this up to my dealer's service department during routine oil changes and was told that this is normal. The varied stopping distance causes problems since the truck could suddenly stop shorter than normal and catch traffic behind me off guard and cause an accident. Other times it feels like the brakes aren't working even though I am pressing firmly and wondering if I'm going to stop in time to avoid hitting a car in front of me. On emergency quick stops my brakes will lock up and with the varied stopping distances I'm surprised I haven't been in a position where the stopping distance in an emergency was more than normal causing me to crash. I would say that my only complaint so far on this truck is the brakes and much better than the truck that I traded in because of several problems with it's electrical, braking (it's brakes were poor but at least you could stop when you wanted), build quality, and other issues. This clearly isn't normal and if the dealer says it is, how can someone get it fixed without trading it in. This is the only issue I have with this truck but it's big enough to trade it in. I spent $30K for this truck and would rather keep it but it has gotten to the point that I don't feel safe driving it.

- South Ogden, UT, USA

Mar 152016

Tacoma

ABS goes off unexpectedly in low speeds/high speeds...dry/wet conditions...usually on winding roads with grade fluctuations causing vehicle to slide into oncoming traffic. This has been going on since my purchase in 2012. Thankfully I have not been in an accident due to this but lots of close calls. Toyota refuses to resolve this issue, and denys that it happens.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 282016

Tacoma

Breaking hard, especially on wet roads, the front wheels lock up causing lack of steering. Noticed this after purchasing the vehicle new in 2012. Has happened multiple times with normal braking and emergency stopping.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 242015

Tacoma

Brakes on vehicle lock-up and are overly sensitive. On many occasions when driving on wet pavement at slows speeds the ABS engaged and locked the brakes with only very light pressure on the brake pedal. On one occasion when driving at 10-15 mph in a parking lot in snow, a light touch to the brake locked up the brakes causing the vehicle to become unstable and crash. I have had four other Toyota trucks, three of them Tacoma and none of them had this braking issue. Barely pressing the brakes shouldn't cause them to lock up which causes the vehicle to become very unstable. Luckily it does it more often at low speeds. It's a major safety concern as the vehicle becomes undrivable.

- Reno, NV, USA

Sep 202015

Tacoma

On September 20, 2015, the ABS and traction control lights came on and didn't go off. Upon investigation, I discovered that there was in fact a recall on the 2012 Toyota Tacoma; however, it did not include my VIN number. I contacted both our local dealership and Toyota directly and was told that there were not any plans at this time to expand the recall to include my vehicle. I can not tell if these components are working or not as I have not driven in ice, snow, etc and had a need for them to engage. But at the same time, I don't want to wait until a time in which I do need them and they be inoperable.

- Kansas, OK, USA

May 292015

Tacoma

Brake failure thinking due to wear and tear-- brakes serviced -- new brake pads on front back pads still good -- brake cylinder had to be replaced on front passenger side -- brakes bled off still no brakes only have brakes if pump them continuously -- at the moment still in shop trying to find a master cylinder to replace the one in it to see if that will fix the problem

- Oceana, WV, USA

Jun 252014

Tacoma 6-cyl

Constant squeal/yelp when coming to a complete stop coming from rear brakes.

- Medford, NY, USA

Nov 122013

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph and applying the brakes for an approaching stop sign, the brakes would not respond and the brake pedal abnormally traveled to the floor board. The vehicle did not stop and proceeded to crash into the rear of another vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle as towed from the scene and was not repaired. The failure was recurring. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 21,000.

- Bryan, TX, USA

Nov 052012

Tacoma

My Tacoma tends to surge forward when it is stopped. I do not think it has anything to do with the air conditioner being on.I had the A/C off the first time. If someone isn't on the brake firmly they may tap the vehicle in front of them.

- Leland, NC, USA

Feb 082012

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Tacoma. While driving approximately 50 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and it began to pulsate excessively. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where both the rear rotors and brake drums were replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000......updated 01/14/13 updated 1/18/2013

- Laplata, MD, USA

Nov 282012

Tacoma 6-cyl

Plastic foot-rest under parking brake pedal falls off easily & slides around floor of driver's side. In this incident, the block flipped up on it's side as it slipped under brake pedal, partially blocking the brake pedal operation, allowing vehicle to creep forward while stopped in traffic, while it felt like brake was fully depressed, resulting in very low speed impact with vehicle stopped in front. Previously reported to dealer who re-attached it at a routine new vehicle service, but it has fallen off a couple times since that repair, and was snapped back onto mounting clip each time.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 112012

Tacoma

When coming to almost a complete stop my rear drum brakes which sounds like squeaking to me but the dealership says howling. When coming to a full stop my brakes get real spongy and make a very high pitched howling sounds. I am afraid one day that I might not be able to stop and crash into someone.

- Honolulu, HI, USA