2016 Toyota Tacoma electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Toyota Tacoma:

2016 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Oct 172015

Blind spot monitor (bsm) - from the first day I drove the truck off the lot, the bsm error message came on. This has been an ongoing issue and the error light comes on at least 3-4 times per week while driving. During my first service, the service technician said that they needed to replace a bad sensor. Its been almost 4 months and I still have not received a call back by the dealer's service department to bring my truck in for the sensor replacement.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Apr 012016

Audio system resets on its own and displays "check charging station". I had dealer look into it and they said that usb cables were defective. I thought they were looking into all possibilities and purchased new usb cables. Not the case, it still happens from time to time and does not work properly. As written by many other Tacoma owners, the shifting delay from reverse to drive and vice versa. I have 7000 miles on the truck and Toyota said there was a break in period for the transmission. They told me I had the most up to date software for the transmission. I should've never traded in my 6spd.

- Branchville, NJ, USA

Apr 012016

The contact owns a 2016 Toyota Tacoma. While driving at various speeds, the estimated mpg displayed on the message board was inaccurate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle; however, the computer was reset. The technician also stated that the estimated mpg of fuel consumption was not calculated when the vehicle was idling. The failure persisted and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 1,000.

- Shoreview, MN, USA

Feb 152016

After 10,000 miles the airbag light came on. Then the next day the check engine light came on as well as the traction control. Called the dealership and they looked at it saying I just need new sensors. Drove it a couple more days and noticed the cruise control was non existent. I drive a lot for work and use it a ton and all of a sudden it wouldn't even bring the light on or work at all. The next day started driving and the real issues started. Turned truck on; same problems I have been having; then the truck would not shift. Kept going and going till I was getting to 5000rpm and it shifted with a tremendous amount of force. Once it shifted the whole truck did a huge jerk then went a little more an did a double shift totally bypassing the 3rd gear. I turned it off and started it again. Kept having the same problem all day. I called the dealership and they said get it to them when I could and they would take a look. Almost caused several accidents trying to get the brand new $35,000 truck that didn't work to the dealership almost running into the people in front of me who cut me off because I can't go over 40mph on the freeway and I have no control of the violent shifting moving the whole truck. Needless to say the dealership tried to blame me for all of these problems that I could not have possibly cause if I tried and that my brand new truck with 10,000miles on it was fine just needed a couple sensors. Obviously this is not working and I think sensors are the least of the worries.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Feb 152016

My ABS light failure came on and said check with dealer. Three days later taken to dealership and electrical harness had been chewed by rodents. It is requiring $5000 to replace this component. I have had this truck for one month and brand new. The vehicle was stationery in driveway when eaten.

- Tallapoosa, GA, USA