2001 Toyota Tundra wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Tundra:

2001 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Jun 022015

I left my driveway to do some errands and when I returned I thought someone had thrown an old tire on my property. To my dismay I quickly realized it was my spare tire with the rotted hoist still frozen to the inside of the rim. I had already taken my truck to a dealer for under carriage rotting recall. Thank god this didn't happen at any other time, it could have killed people. I do a lot of highway driving.

- Boyertown, PA, USA

Oct 262014

Accelerating on an on-ramp to go on the freeway, a massive bump was felt. I lost control of the car using momentum and difficult steering to get me to the side of the freeway. I discovered the wheel was disengaged and was only attached by the brake line. Mechanic inspected the damage and said the ball joint broke off causing the wheel to be disengaged.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Jan 312014

Tundra 8-cyl

Was driving home on a 2-lane rural highway when I heard a very loud bang and found my vehicle scraping and skidding down the road for approximately 100 ft. Fortunately, no one was coming from the other direction and no one was behind me. Wound up in the middle of the road. Managed to force the truck onto the left shoulder. After getting out, found the left front wheel flat on the road and jammed up inside the wheel well. Upon further inspection found that the left lower ball joint had snapped off at the bolt holding it onto the A-frame. Out of warranty. Toyota says they won't do anything to help. Looked on internet and found many, many similar experiences with 2001 Tundra. Have scrupulously maintained this vehicle since I bought it new in 2001. This should not be allowed to happen. I could have been killed and I could have killed others. There should be a recall issued re. This problem as has occurred with later year Tundra and Toyota should be held responsible to pay for repairing my truck.

- Forestville, CA, USA

Dec 102004

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle was driving roughly and consumer was able to pull over. Consumer noticed that the right passenger's side wheel collapsed inward. Had the vehicle towed to the dealer for inspection, and mechanic determined that both driver's side and passenger's side ball joints needed to be replaced. The consumer stated that the lower ball joint failed.

- Downieville, CA, USA

Mar 222002

While applying the brakes the vehicle will vibrate especally on the passenger side. Ts the brake pads were replaced then adjusted and the rotors were replaced. However vibration, shutter and high pitched noise still exist. On one occasion consumer heard a clunking noise and found the caliper pin sticking out of trim of hubcap. With caliper pin in hand, consumer was angry when dealership had no knowledge of service bulletin for brake problems. Balancing weights fell off. Heater stopped working due to packing material. Foam material was removed.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA