Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You're going to burn through a lot of dinosaurs while chugging around town, and any rear passengers you may have to carry are going to feel real cramped, but at the end of the day this is a solid truck.

2004 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Tundra:

2004 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Apr 162014

Tundra 8-cyl

Had truck in for oil change whole frame, drive shaft parking brake cable is rusting through.

- Bokeelia, FL, USA

Aug 092011

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

Our 2004 Toyota Tundra has such excessive rust on the undercarriage that the rear axle housing which holds the gears has rusted through, causing fluid to leak. Toyota says there is nothing that can be done for us.

- Delmar, NY, USA

Mar 162010

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

I own a 2004 Toyota Tundra pickup truck. The bottom of the truck in the rear has rusted and the shock mount broke off. The piece that broke off also has the brake lines attached. This can potentially lead to the lines snapping and failing. I saw a recall on this for 2000 to 2003 years but not for 2004. The problem identified in the recall is the exact problem I am having. I am also concerned that the mount for the spare tire will continue to rust and fall off.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Jul 152009

My 2004 Toyota Tundra double cab has an excessive amount of rust on the undercarriage. Because of this rust, the camber bolts cannot be removed to properly align the vehicle. I have been told that they will have to use heat to remove them, along with a lot of force, and in turn may do frame damage in the process. I have been quoted by my dealer $5,200 to fix the problem which initially started with a small shimmy in the steering wheel which grew into a big shimmy especially while towing. That quote does not include any possible charged from the body shop if damage to the frame should occur. I do not have $5,200 so I ended up with a new set of tires and half of an alignment because the camber bolts were not able to be removed. Here I am months later and my new tires are so bald on the front that I am actually seeing the tread showing through. I have always loved my Tundra, but all of this rust on the frame and undercarriage is very concerning regarding the longevity of my vehicle. I was told that Toyota last forever. At this point I feel that my truck is dangerous to even drive but it is my only vehicle. I have owned and maintained many vehicles and never had rust issues like this, nor have I ever been faced with such a costly repair on a not so old vehicle. I am stuck in a bad place and just don't know where to go or what to do. I desperately need my truck. Without it I lose my source of transportation as well as my ability to earn a living. I just simply cannot afford... meaning I just do not have this kind of money to bring my truck back to health. All of this stress and frustration is a result of this excessive rust. Included in the estimate is remove and replace camber bolts $1,957 --- steering rack boots $400 alignment 90.00---- driveshaft assembly $2,003---- rear U-joint $433---- differential fluid $330 it does not include any possible damage to the frame/body in their attempt to remove the camber bolts or another brand new set of tires.

- Chagrin Falls, OH, USA

Sep 022009

2004 Toyota Tundra double cab had severe rusting which caused the emergency brake cable and pin attachments to break. When the dealer fixed the brake, I was told that the problem was caused by very rusted parts which then led me to discover that the entire frame of the truck is heavily rusted. Dealer called it flaking. I contacted Toyota and the dealer was instructed to inspect the truck and send results to Toyota. They now call it surface rust. I asked the dealer to put in writing that the truck was safe but they did not. I am now concerned that with the frame, bolts, nuts and joints so rusty it will soon become a safety issue. I have looked at other Tundra's the same age and the undercarriage appears to have an undercoating that I do not. I am not satisfied with the answer that Toyota has given me which states that it is only surface rust.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Sep 132009

Frame rust.

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Apr 152009

Vehicle frame and undercarriage seems to have an excessive amount of rust and deterioration. As I perform maintenance on the vehicle, I am replacing rusted parts including bolts, drain plugs as well as spraying the undercarriage with wd-40, 3M undercoating spray and corrosion stop. This issue is an on-going fight to keep the rust at bay.

- Dover, NH, USA