2005 Toyota Tundra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Tundra:

2005 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Jan 102016

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked and the ignition was turned to the on position, the vehicle moved without being prompted. The contact jumped into the vehicle and attempted to stop the vehicle but the vehicle crashed into a house. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact sustained injuries to her left leg that required medical attention. A police report was not filed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unknown.

- Bugalusa, LA, USA

Nov 012015

The differential housing rusted through so that the lubricating fluid leaked out onto the road. This happened both when the truck was moving and at rest. Toyota had already replaced the vehicle frame as rapid corrosion and rusting caused a recall. The differential transfers power to the rear wheels so the lack of lubrication could have caused the rear wheels to lock while driving with the potential for a rear end collision or complete loss of control at high speed. Used replacement differential housings are unavailable because of high demand due to failure of originals due to rust.

- Essex Junction, VT, USA

Jan 192015

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

The connector on the cable from the ECU to the transmission failed due to corrosion. This causes the truck to accelerate from a standing stop in a manner where the transmission slams in and out of gear. Thankfully this didn't occur when pulling out on a busy street. The situation is dangerous. The truck already had a frame recall due to corrosion. This issue is similar and represents a design flaw with dangerous consequences.

- Roseville, MN, USA

Sep 222014

We received several recall notices for frame deterioration and the need for inspection, correction and anti-corrosion chemical application. We took it to the Toyota dealer as requested. They called the next morning to have us pick up the vehicle and the anti-corrosion spray (black gooey stuff similar to undercoating) that they used was everywhere, including on the wiring harnesses, brake lines, the step bars that we installed aftermarket last year, inside of the wheel wells, the mud flaps - it was still wet and smelled awful. We contacted the service manager who blew us off, we called Toyota and they refused to assist, other than to take down the complaint on paper. I can't seem to find an attorney even remotely interested in assisting with this case. Toyota says that the coating may never dry so it will attract all dirt and grime that it's exposed to. It looks and smells horrible. We can't even sell it because it smells so bad! Toyota won't remove it or even repair it, nor will they replace the vehicle.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Mar 172014

Tundra 8-cyl

Was taking it to have its oil changed and noticed a small puddle of oil under the rear axle setting in my driveway when I took it back to the dealer I ask them to check the rear axle to see were the oil was coming from they told me that the axle housing had rusted through Toyota wont cover it under warranty because warranty dosnt cover rust and it is going to cost me $3600 for them to fix it. To me I think this is a bunch of bull this truck only has 70192 miles on it there is no way this should of rusted out causing a major safety issue if I didn't notice this the rear axle could have lost all of its oil causing a major malfunction the axle could of locked up broke the axle causing to loose controll creating a bad accident they say it dosnt cover rust but yet I got a recall notice to bring it in to have the frame inspected for extreme rust corrosion. This dosnt make much sence to me they will cover the rusty frame which is great but they wont cover the rusted out rear axle that could cause a catastrophic accident as well as the frame.

- Falmouth, KY, USA

Aug 102013

Tundra 8-cyl

Gear shift on steering wheel column became loose and it became very difficult to place truck into park. It started gradually until the play in the shifter was so bad that I could no longer put it into drive, reverse or neutral without the shifter handle hitting the windshield wiper handle and causing the windshield wipers to activate and squirt cleaner onto the windshield. I was concerned that it was going to slip out of gear or into gear causing injury or death, and it became increasingly hard to put the vehicle into park. I took it to Toyota dealer and they replaced it. I have the part (A1 shaft sub-assembly / BD376 housing, steering column) and it is defective inferior metal part broken into two pieces.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Jan 232012

Tundra 8-cyl

After stopping at a red light. Made right turn uphill. Truck accelerated quickly like it was floored. Attempted to brake easily to slow down. Truck spun 180 on pavement, crashing sideways into island divider. Right rear wheel was sheered off. Truck was stopped by rear bumper smashing into light standard. Sheered wheel had grind marks as wheels were still under power. This was pointed out at scene by law enforcement. I am a retired firefighter used to driving emergency equipment. My truck accelerated on its own.

- Orinda, CA, USA

Feb 242010

My 2005 Tundra double cab 4X4 has an issue where you feel a strong thud and push forward coming from the transmission when you come to a stop (such as a stop sign or red light). Toyota's only fix if to grease the propeller/drive shafts well. I do this with each oil change but the condition persists even after lubing the powertrain. Other Tundra owners have reported this as a common issue with this vehicle. Toyota should consider a more suitable fix than just applying grease. This issue has existed for years in my Tundra.

- Cary, NC, USA

Dec 182009

2005 Toyota Tundra double cab SR5 transmission mount has 4 bolts and a plastic centering piece 3 of the bolts had worked their way out and the 4th was half way out centering piece was loose and floating in the crossbeam tightened the one bolt went to bob tyler Toyota in pensacola, fl. All that was asked of mewas did I have the extended warranty. I said no I thought the Tundra was covered for 100,000 miles. Besides I considered this a safety issue because my transmission could have become disconnected and caused a wreck or worse. I consider this unacceptable and the attitude of the associate was unconcerned. What can be done about this? tw*

- Pensacola, FL, USA