1.8

2005 Toyota Tundra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Tundra:

2005 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Jun 012015

Tundra

Secondary injection pump trigger a limp mode which is extremely dangerous on the highway. Toyota has extended the warranty on all vehicle except the 2005, 2006, 2007 which have the exact same air pumps installed. This repair is costing Toyota owners in excess of $3,000 with vehicles having having less the 100K miles. This is obviously an emission issue that Toyota should address, the U.S. has made VW responsible for there shortcomings I think Toyota should be held accountable.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Sep 092014

Tundra 8-cyl

Toyota has extended its warranty for the air injection pump and air switching valves on 2007-2010 Tundra. The extension is for 10 years or 150,000 miles from first use. I have a 2005 Tundra that has a failing air injection system. I am within the mileage range of first use. The truck has the same air injection system as the Tundra within the warranty extension, but Toyota refuses to honor the warranty extension on my truck. This is a $4000 fix and the truck is unsafe to drive in the current state.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Apr 082014

Tundra 8-cyl

Check engine light came on and the truck lost power. The engine revved like it was trying to go, but had no more forward momentum. The speed at the time of the incident was 50mph. Hooked up the computer and the error code read that it is the air switching valve. Error codes P-1442, switching valves are stuck closed, #2 in bank 1 and #2 in bank 2 of the secondary air inspection system. Same issue on 2007-10 Tundra and was recalled due to defect. My truck has the same issue, has under 150,000 miles, and has been very well maintained. Told by Toyota that it is not a recall at this time and if there is one in the future, they will reimburse us our costs. Driving down a two lane highway with 18 wheelers behind you and losing power, going 65-70mph, is going to cause a wreck. I don't know how Toyota would reimburse me my husband.

- Gladewater, TX, USA

Jan 102013

Tundra 8-cyl

Loss of power dealer said I need a secondary smog pump and check valves at a cost of $2158.90 truck has only 38000 miles find out if my info is correct same problem on 2007 thru 2010 and Toyota did extend there warranty. Loss of power a big safety issue.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Oct 112012

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

Dash light "check engine" came on and when the dealer informed me that it was this emission control system listed above ( secondary air injection system switching valve no. 2 bank 1 and bank 2) that would cost over $3,000 I went online and saw many Tundra and sequoias with exactly the same problem and that the 2007 to 2009 Tundra with the exact part numbers were warranted for 10 years, it tells me this is a known problem, so why is there not a recall?

- Lutz, FL, USA