2005 Toyota Tundra steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Tundra:

2005 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Jul 232014

Tundra

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tundra. While driving at approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel seized and the vehicle veered to the right. The vehicle went off the road and crashed into a tree. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was taken to the contact's residence where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 86,000.

- Liberty , SC, USA

Aug 312014

Tundra 6-cyl

For a week I had noticed a leak on the surface of the parking lot of my apartment building where I almost always park my truck. Since it's an apartment, I didn't pay much attention to it, thinking it was someone else's vehicle. Then on Sunday August 31st, I had driven round trip to akron, Ohio and back to willoughby, Ohio and noticed a huge leak. I took it to the dealer who said it was the power steering and that there are two of the parts that need to be replaced. I researched this problem and found they have rusted and leaked on other Tundra's of the same year as mine.

- Willoughby, OH, USA

Apr 012010

Tundra

Bought this vehicle used in 2010 and it had a lot of corrosion underneath then. Currently has 50 K miles. My brakes are squealing due to corrosion preventing the calipers from moving and the wheel was corroded to the hub and it took a lot of effort to remove it. The structural members and all the components have loose layers of rust. The exhaust heat shields fell off. The spare tire restraint system looks too weak so I removed the spare. The spare wheel is so corroded that the bolt holes are no longer smooth for the lugs to bear against evenly. I am concerned that something bad will happen eventually if a weakened critical part were to fail. I doubt the undercoating Toyota is offering for 04 to 06 trucks can help much at this point. I don't want to be the guy who drops a fuel tank on the freeway.

- Hollywood, MD, USA

Apr 222014

Tundra 8-cyl

Steering rack failed safety inspection due to leaking power steering fluid caused by rust. The dealership I was using had 3 other of the same or similar Toyota trucks with the same failure at this same time. They had problems locating enough parts to do all the repair.

- Fredericksburg , VA, USA

Dec 132012

Tundra 8-cyl

Took to the shop "meinke" and was listed as; replace the leaking power steering rack and pinion gear - $975.

- Lahiana, HI, USA

Feb 062014

Tundra 8-cyl

January 28th (2014) I was into york's Toyota for diagnosis of a check engine light and rough idle problem. The clerk at york's Toyota advised me of (2) recalls on my pickup truck (ball joint & spray frame) and said "we will call you to schedule when to have these completed at no cost to you". February 6th while driving southbound on interstate 95 at the posted speed of 75mph in sherman Maine the front driver's side of my 2005 Toyota Tundra buckled. After pulling to side of the highway I got out of the truck and saw the front driver's side ball joint appeared to have sheered off causing damage to tie rod end, other front steering components and some front quarter panel damage. I called the Maine state police which completed an accident report. York's has refused to pay for the repairs to the vehicle. My insurance refuses to pay because the cause of the accident was a recalled part. Toyota Corp in California has refused to pay for all the repairs to my vehicle stating the ball joint recall was for premature wear and since my truck has 150,000miles it doesn't qualify. This is completely unacceptable. A recall was issued and Toyota is refusing to fix the recalls and the damages.

- Easton, ME, USA

Aug 102013

Tundra 8-cyl

Gear shift on steering wheel column became loose and it became very difficult to place truck into park. It started gradually until the play in the shifter was so bad that I could no longer put it into drive, reverse or neutral without the shifter handle hitting the windshield wiper handle and causing the windshield wipers to activate and squirt cleaner onto the windshield. I was concerned that it was going to slip out of gear or into gear causing injury or death, and it became increasingly hard to put the vehicle into park. I took it to Toyota dealer and they replaced it. I have the part (A1 shaft sub-assembly / BD376 housing, steering column) and it is defective inferior metal part broken into two pieces.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Aug 082013

Tundra 8-cyl

I have been told my truck has excessive rust on the brake line, front brake rotors and power steering unit. They will al need to be replaced.

- Hopewell Junction, NY, USA

Jul 022013

Tundra 8-cyl

While starting from a stop, either in drive or reverse, I heard a squealing sound when turning the wheels to the left. I am also losing power steering fluid, and my right side rack & pinion boot appears to be filling with fluid. It appears that my power rack & pinion system is failing, and the vehicle has only 55,000 miles on it with no hard use (just Transport, mostly local.) I am worried that my steering system may fail while driving. Note: I am scheduling an inspection of the steering issue with a local Toyota dealership.

- Gorham, ME, USA

Oct 152011

Tundra 8-cyl

I have a 2005 Tundra 2wd trd. I have to replace the steering rack and recommended that I replace both rear bearings. When looking the problems on the internet I have discovered that these issues are very common for the Tundra in earlier production. The steering rack was manufactured with inferior material that has been known to where out. The same with the rear bearings. If this is such a common problem why hasn't a formal investigation ever been performed on these two elements of the Tundra.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Aug 012007

Tundra

When Toyota recalled the balljoints on the 2005 Tundra's I took mine in...after they replaced it my truck pulled to the right and had a noise and vibration...I took it back several time but it was never fixed...now it is 2010 and I rarely drive it im afraid to..the vibration is worse and the pull is worse..the dealer always tell me the same thing...they cant find anything wrong..my truck has since gone out of warranty due to years...not miles...I want my truck fixed, ,,Ford has offered me a trade in im seriously thinking of switching...also my title says I have a 3/4 ton truck but Toyota swears they don't make one"???..it is the Texas limited edition 4door Toyota pickup...do I have 3/4 or not...cause I paid for a 3/4 ton..???"

- Edna, TX, USA

Dec 102005

Tundra 8-cyl

2005 Toyota Tundra quad cab. Front end alignment problems, extreme pulling to the left and right, consistent rattling in the front end. Control issues at 5 mph, extreme shimmering over 65 mph. Recommended parts by service department knuckle sub assembly, bearings, ring hole, seals. Vehicle loses power, and steering control, caused accident. Manufacturer refuses to honor warranty and repair vehicle. Problems began at 2000 miles, taken in at 5009 miles for service and reported problem, 4 attempts at repair with no success.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Mar 232005

Tundra 8-cyl

I had my 2005 Tundra bed loaded to the maximum advertised weight capacity. Once I entered the hwy and reached a speed of 45 the vehicle went out of control. I have been driving for many years and have never experienced a loss of control like this. The vehicle left the road and flipped upside down. The cab held up great and everyone was wearing their seatbelt therefor there were not signifigant injuries. Atleast one of the tires were off the rim but I'm not sure if this was a result of the accident or a cause.

- Claremore, OK, USA