2006 Toyota Tundra miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Tundra:

2006 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Mar 242014

Tundra

Frame recall Toyota dealer sprayed some undercoating on it instead of replacing the frame and now its rusting again. No one wants my truck without the frame being replaced.

- Holland, MI, USA

Aug 262015

Tundra

My 2006 Toyota Tundra double cab has significant rust, which has resulted in a crack along the frame rail approximately 6 inches long near the passenger side front wheel. The frame has numerous other holes opening up and significant flakes of steel falling of the frame in this same area. I have meticulously cared for this vehicle and have been sure to keep the car and frame clean, particularly during the harsh winter months. Nonetheless the frame has rusted to the point where the sway bar mount on the passenger side has almost rusted through. While Toyota initiated a "limited service campaign" this is not a full recall. I learned of this significant damage 26 days after the conclusion of the campaign on July 31, 2015. As this is not a recall, customers such as myself have no recourse. I contacted Toyota and was rudely informed that there are no exceptions and that my vehicle cannot be covered under the campaign as it has expired. This leaves me with significant damage as a result of Toyota's engineering error. Not only does this significantly reduce the value of my vehicle, but clearly poses a safety hazard as critical components of the front suspension are weakened. Furthermore, an accident could result in serious damage and injury as a result of the weakened structure. The fact that this has not been not been classified as a recall is appalling. Toyota is unwilling to stand behind their vehicles and has left me to fend for myself for their error. I strongly urge the NHTSA to reconsider their closed case on this frame issue and demand a recall. The measures Toyota has taken through this campaign are not sufficient. There are countless other owners whose frames only received the crc coating and have continued to rust. This was clearly a stopgap measure. Toyota should be held accountable for the safety hazard and economic impact of their design flaw.

- Boxford, MA, USA

May 102015

Tundra

The spare tire was hanging under the truck. Use the tools to crank it back up and hold it securely. The first turn and the cable snapped and tire fell. The cable was rusted and snapped and the carrier holding the tire itself fell

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Jun 192014

Tundra

In June 2014 I took my Tundra to have it evaluated, reference frame rust. Toyota felt the best course of action was to apply some type of compound to the frame./15/2015 bf in May 2015 I looked under my truck and noticed that the rust was coming back with a vengeance, especially where the rust was heaviest before. I find it difficult to believe that if the frame was dried, brush, and then the compound "rust proofing" was applied that the rust would be coming through/back in less then a year. I have contacted Toyota and they do not seem interested in addressing the issue. I find it disheartening that the body, engine, and the rest of the truck will outlast the frame. Rust does happen in the North. However, frames do not turn to dust before the fenders and the body. How is it the body is lasting longer and wearing better? those parts are going through the same elements as the frame! essentially, Toyota tried to put makeup or a band-aid on the problem without addressing the problem. If you just paint or cover rust without treating the rust to begin with, the problem was never fixed. If you sand the rust down/out, then apply your paint or compound, you will extend the life of your metal. I have tried to bring this issue up with Toyota and they don't want to hear it. They state the issue is closed and nothing else will be done. After some research it certainly appears that Toyota's manufacturing process and standards for second generation Tundra are no different then the first. If Toyota can not or did not want to build a vehicle for cold environments that use salt, they should not sell them to the northern half of the United States. They certainly did not disclose that they did not treat or manufacture their frames to withstand the rigors of the colder environments.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Aug 292013

Tundra

Noise from under vehicle, decided to remove bed for repairs, I was terrified of what I found: A very rusty frame, bolts with heads that turn into crumble when touched, and such...

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Oct 152009

Tundra

2006 Toyota Tundra., low speed, no cruise control on, weather drizzle. Going up a hill acclerated suddenly. Spun out crossed a median into oncoming traffic hit a guardrail and another car.

- Grapeland , TX, USA