2006 Toyota Tundra steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Tundra:

2006 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

May 122015

Tundra

I was leaving a parking lot when the right front ball joint failed. The wheel fell off, the suspension dropped down. I put the vehicle in park, turned off the engine and called for a tow truck.

- Marathon, WI, USA

May 102006

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicle has not been in a accident as far as I know and I bought it new with approximately 15 miles on the odometer. I am the only owner. Since the day I drove it off the lot there has been a slight to severe shimmy in the steering wheel. Every time I brought it in they would balance the wheels and add half a wheel circumference of lead to one or more of the wheels. Two different service departments have told me there is nothing they can do it is what it is. It causes my tires to wear prematurely which the dealership blames on poor tire psi. I changed out the aftermarket 20" bbs wheels the dealership put on and put 18" wheels on thinking it may help and it didn't. I took it back to the dealership and they told me they cannot help since I put aftermarket wheels on which I responded bbs are aftermarket wheels. They agreed and said but we modify the suspension to work with the 20" bbs wheels. I've been getting this run around since I took delivery and all I want is to get the shimmy to stop and extend the life of my tires.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 162013

Tundra 8-cyl

After driving 10 miles to town at speeds of 60mph dropped truck off at mechanics shop because was steering hard. Mechanic got into truck to drive it into shop, lower ball joint snapped off when he put it into reverse the front end dropped, could not steer at all, had to put truck in shop with wrecker. The night before this I was doing 70 mph in rush hour traffic. Was there a crash? no, but there sure could have been. There was a recall for 2006 Tundra lower ball joints, Toyota says my truck is not in recall, should have been.

- Cloquet, MN, USA

Nov 162011

Tundra

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tundra. The contact noticed both front tires were wearing prematurely. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic where a diagnostic was performed and the mechanic informed the contact that the entire rack and pinion system needed to be replaced due to defective bushings. The contact did not have the rack and pinion replaced. The failure mileage was 61,393.

- Palm Dale, CA, USA

Jul 182006

Tundra

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tundra. Whenever the contact drove the vehicle at highway speeds the vehicle began to sway from the left and right unless the vehicle speed was reduced. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the contact had the rack & pinion replaced 4 additional times prior to the recent failure. The contact noticed that prior to the failure, the steering wheel would not return to the normal position after making a left turn. The current and failure mileages were 35,000.

- Taylor, AZ, USA

Oct 242009

Tundra

Looking at the complaints, this looks similar to ODI id number : 10222095 date of failure: March 21, 2008. I was at a dead stop. I turned my steering to the left as possible. As I was rounding the turn slowly, the power steering was lost. I was unable to make the U-turn completely. I had to run off of the road. After driving straight to repair shop, the mechanic said the rack and pinion had to be replaced because the rods were bent to what looked like could have been service work related to the ball joint recall. I've only got 19800 miles on a 2006 Tundra crew cab. No way this should occur with this few many miles. I'm just glad I wasn't at a high rate of speed and trying to round a curve. I don't drive it much and not used on a farm. It's been very well cared for so it shouldn't have caused that much strain on the rack.

- Conway, SC, USA

Oct 082009

Tundra

The right front steering tie rod on my 2006 Toyota Tundra rusted and totally disconnect. I have 48000 miles on the vehicle. Toyota company would not repair it under warranty. I believe the problem is connect to the ball joint recall problem on the Toyota Tundra.

- Manitowoc, WI, USA

Jul 272007

Tundra 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tundra. While her son was driving 70 mph the steering wheel started to shake. There was a loud noise and the vehicle steered to the right. He was unable to control the vehicle and applied the brake, however; the brakes failed after impacting the concrete wall. The vehicle went across 3 lanes and crashed into the median. The vehicle was towed to the repair shop. The repair shop was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The VIN and engize size were unknown but will be added when the hardcopy is received. The current and failure mileages were 29,000. The consumer provided multiple pictures of the vehicle and the insurance information for the vehicle. Updated 08/30/07

- Meddari, LA, USA

Sep 112006

Tundra

My 2006 Tundra truck lost control while driving on the highway on 9/11/2006. It happened very suddenly. My truck rolled over a couple times and stopped upside down in the highway. My truck was all damaged due to the steering problem. Now I can't use it anymore.

- Hayward, CA, USA