3.0

2008 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Tundra:

2008 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Jul 152016

Extrem rust under truck

- Lovilia, IA, USA

Mar 202016

Tundra

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tundra. After the bed liner was removed, it was discovered that the bed of the vehicle was rusted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but no assistance could be provided. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Norwood, MA, USA

Jun 022016

Tundra

80,300 miles. June 2, 2016 removed my bed liner to clean out from hauling a load of topsoil. Discovered rusting/bubbling on the floor surface. 2007-2011 Toyota Tundra truck bed floor rust tsb issued 110/17/12. My VIN falls into the category but it falls past the 60 month/unlimited miles corrosion warranty. I keep my truck immaculate and very well maintained....hence the bed liner. If I would have treated my truck differently and not protected the bed with the bed liner, I would have discovered the rust sooner and probably been covered. Penalized for taking care of my truck. The local dealer tried very hard to get Toyota to cover the repair but the Toyota reps would only offer $2000 toward a potential $13000 repair. I have been a Toyota customer since 1990 and I am extremely disappointed with Toyota. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with customer neglect...it's neglect by Toyota who will not stand by their product. As far as this being a safety issue, the rust is concentrated where the bed is connected to the frame. If I did not discover this, it could potentially separate from the truck frame while driving/hauling a heavy load and cause serious injury or death. Toyota doesn't care about that apparently.

- Sparrows Point, MD, USA

Mar 192016

Tundra

Significant rust around bed bolts. No other rust on body, or underneath bed, no rust on chassis. No rust anywhere else on truck. Seems to be softball size bubbles in a pattern on bed only. If not fixed afraid bed will come loose while driving over rough terrain or in a minor accident.

- Medina, OH, USA

Mar 042011

Tundra

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that the vehicle was rusted and there were enormous holes in the rear bed of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear bed was corroded and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 168,400.

- Danese, WV, USA

Sep 152014

Tundra

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tundra. After inspecting the vehicle, it was discovered that the frame was rusted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 39,000.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Aug 182014

Bed rust.

- Dubuque, IA, USA

Dec 122013

Tundra 8-cyl

The power windows on all 4 doors do not work when the weather goes to just freezing. I do not think there is enough insulation in the doors or water is accumulating inside the motors that run windows. I have only owned this truck since November of 2012 and did not drive it last winter as I work away from home for months at a time. This winter I was home and the power windows do not work when it is cold outside. I have never experienced this with any other vehicle in cold/frozen weather before so, I think there is something wrong. I live in Washington state and it does not get that cold overnight here where I live just down to freezing usually in winter. My wife drives an Acura rl 2006 and has never had this happen to her with her car.

- Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Oct 012013

Tundra 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that the trailer hitch, the frame receiving rear area and the rear bumper was severely corroded. The hitch frame was fractured in pieces due to the corrosion. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and the contact was advised that the vehicle was not repairable. The approximate failure mileage was 34,000 and the current mileage was 36,000.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Oct 062009

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that the paint on the front end of the vehicle was chipping. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000. Updated 12/28/12 the consumer stated the frame is rusting and the actual gas mileage is less than the sticker mileage. Updated 1/15/2013

- West Haven, CT, USA

Jul 012009

Tundra

I have an white 08 Tundra cewmax limited. The paint is horrible. It seems like every little light touch of it brings it down to the grey undercoating. For instance, my key fob hit the gate when I was unlocking the tailgate and it chipped it right down to the grey undercoating. The truck is peppered with these probably from road debris. I could understand a little here or there but not this many and having it happen so easily most recently my clearcoat has started to fail and my truck is only 4 years old. It gets washed almost weekly and waxed every month with meguires nxt 2.0. I know every little ding, scratch and dent on the truck and everytime I go to wash it, there are more. The paint/clearcoat is not very protective and has not held up. My other car is 12 years old and gets the same car care treatment as my Tundra and its paint is 100% better than this truck. It is also a Toyota and white.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Dec 012008

Tundra

I have the blue streak color and it has many scratches. The white under coat shows through. Showed to dealer. They saw the scratches and chipping paint but did not acknowledge that there was a problem, and did nothing to rectify. If I buy a Toyota Tundra again, I will get white so that scratches won't show through the paint.

- Fairfield, TX, USA

Oct 242008

Tundra

"08 Tundra" while driving at 65 mph the bed bounce on the truck is horrible. While driving you sometimes feel as if you are going to lose control of the truck. Problem persists at 65mph+.

- South El Monte, CA, USA

Jun 012008

Tundra

2008 Toyota Tundra double cab 4X4 SR5 w/trd off road this truck is clearly unsafe to drive. When you drive the truck and hit a bump in the road, the truck bed bounces. It will actually affect the steering and ability to control the vehicle. While driving the truck at highway speeds, if you hit a large bump it is exceptionally hard to steer and control. I know truck beds can bounce, but this truck is way more than the norm!! the bounce has actually led to my 1st Tundra's bed to be out of square 1 1/2. further more, if you measure from the back of the cab to the top of the bed, there was a difference of 1 3/4 inches from the left and right side. Please help! Toyota has recognized the problem of the bed bounce, but refuses to help. This is a problem is serious and needs to be looked into immediately. Please call if you guys have any questions I will be glad to help. Thank you

- Carlisle, OH, USA