2010 Toyota Tundra suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Tundra:

2010 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Sep 132016

Tundra

I bought a 2010 Toyota Tundra new. I recently noticed significant rust in the bed of my truck. After some research I discovered that the rust is also in the frame of my truck. I have found that there are multiple cases of Toyota trucks with this same issue. There have been recalls and class action lawsuits filed against Toyota for this same problem. However my model and year are not included in these. I took the truck to Toyota and they said yes this is a problem we know about however youre out of the 5 year warranty period and we will not cover the damage. The problem with the warranty period is that the start of the issue is completely hidden and there's no way to know you have a problem until it's too late and you're out of warranty. The frame of my truck is quite rusted and will cause safety issues in the near future. There are two distinct rust spots in the bed where the frame attaches to it. The one spot which is worse actually has a hole in the metal bottom of the bed. I can't get pictures of the frame of the truck but I did include pictures of the two rust spots in the bottom of the bed. The two spots are located toward the cab and are in the same spot of the bed but on opposite sides. I live in a very dry climate so flooding and humidity are not the cause of this rust. You can tell from the location of the spots that this is a manufacturer defect.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Sep 222015

Tundra

The truck tailgate was noticed to have paint bubbling toward the bottom on the tailgate. Further inspection shows moderate rust on the inner lip of the bottom of the tailgate where two panels come together, and is noticable when it is in a lowered position. After calling Toyota corporate national customer service line and notifying them of the issue, I was asked if rust was on the frame. Further more, I was told there is no program they have to help with such an issue. I had not had the ability to inspect the frame and undercarriage at the time of the call, but upon ending of the call, was able to have a look at it. There is considerable rust on seems of the frame welds throughout the bottom and other areas.

- Newton, NC, USA

Jul 232015

Tundra

In Sept. 2014 Toyota motor sales, U.S.a., Inc. Voluntary recalled 2005-2011 Tacoma 4X4 and Tacoma pre-runner pickup trucks for leaf springs that could fracture due to stress and corrosion. In the middle of July 2015 the driver side leaf spring in our 2010 Tundra fractured resulting in $1,611.41 in repairs. Due to the defect our mechanic recommended both leaf springs to be replaced as there would be uneven stability and the remaining leaf spring could fracture in the near future.

- Finksburg, MD, USA

Jan 082014

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving the vehicle and could hear a metal on metal grinding noise, heavy metal rattle & occasional squealing noise when I would drive over sewer covers or small bumps on the road. I made an appointment at the dealership to diagnose & was told that the driver's side leaf spring was broken & needed to be replaced. The vehicle is used as a passenger vehicle. The heaviest camper it towed was approximately 3000 pounds. The truck was rated for an 8300 pound tow capacity. Upon inspection it appeared that the leaf spring had extreme rust through & through. None of the techs at the dealership had ever seen a 3.3 year old truck present with this problem. Toyota usa declined reimbursement for the repair ($970).

- Dracut, MA, USA

Nov 072014

Tundra

I have a 2000 Tundra 4 X 4 I was driving to the store when my right front ball joints broke and I slid about 40 yards the front tire ended up under the front end damage to my fender and bumper as well. If this would have happen on the fwy I would had been dead.

- Valley Center, CA, USA

Jun 182014

Tundra 8-cyl

During state vehicle inspection, it was found that both left & right leaf springs were broken with pieces easily removed by dealer. Dealer service person stated that they have seen a few of these come in lately. I have not loaded the truck bed at all nor have I towed anything near capacity. I have a small outboard boat and have not even used that yet this year. I did had banging noise for past month but thought it was the trailer hitch.

- Rockport, ME, USA

Jun 132013

Tundra 8-cyl

Was struck side struck by a vehicle running a red light. My head struck the drivers side window, transported by fire & rescue to local hospital. Hospital diagnosis was a "closed wound concussion". other driver was charged on multiple counts. Mechanics that repaired my truck estimate the vehicle that hit me was travelling 40-45mph. My airbags did not deploy. Impact area on my truck was front driver side quarter panel and front left tire. Have viewed a side impact crash test for my make, model and year. In that test the airbags did deploy and the driver dummy hit head in exact location as I did. I would assume the crash test dummy would not have received a concussion due to the protection from the side airbag deployment. One of the reasons for my purchase of this vehicle was the safety aspect. The manufacturer marketed the airbag system as a key selling point. I did have my seat belt on at the time of the crash. I can provide police accident report, photos of both vehicles, repair detail for my truck and personal damage.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Apr 082011

Tundra

I went to load the bed with some furniture and saw a bolt protruding through the bed of the truck. Upon further investigation found the right rear shock absorber broke loose from the top connection and went through the truck bed. After taking to the dealer they found the top connecting nuts/bolt on the left rear was also missing. We are now in a fight over who pays. I bought the truck as a used certified Toyota Tundra on 2 April, this happened on 7 April 2011. They contend someone tried to steel my shocks so it's not their's to pay. I contend they'd have to go past $3K worth of aftermarket tires and wheels to take the shocks...I don't thing a smart thief would do that. Additionally, if both shocks were missing the top connection items it makes sense to me that they were never installed in the manufacturing process as they don't 'back themselves' out. They were never there or someone took them off and it wasn't me! as a minium someone missed this on the certified inspection check list. Let me know if you want the final outcome and the dealers name!

- Mckenna, WA, USA

Apr 082011

- Mckenna, WA, USA

Jul 122010

Tundra

I have noticed an incredible bounce while driving on the freeway and local way. It has only 1,500 miles and this does not seem normal and concerns me. The tires doesn't seem to change the bounce effect. I can't even put my family in the back seat because they feel uncomfortable and start bouncing everywhere. The problem needs to be addressed and fixed by botoya.

- Sylmar, CA, USA

Mar 062010

Tundra

The truck bounces real bad on some concrete roads at about 65 mph to the point I have to slow down or change lanes to get it to stop. On the same roads I can not hold the gas pedal steady its revving the engine up on every bounce I think the recall made the peddle to sensitive on rough roads.

- Forsyth, GA, USA