2011 Toyota Tundra fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Tundra:

2011 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Aug 302016

I purchased my 2011 Tundra quarter end 2010. It has less than 100K miles and is well maintained by the dealer. Late August 2016 the check engine light came on and I took the vehicle to the dealer to have this checked. I learned that I had an issue with the secondary air injection system. The estimated cost of the repair was quoted at $3,360. As a long time owner or driver of Toyota vehicles of 35 years, I was shocked in that I had never experienced such issues. I purchase Toyota because I trust the quality, reliability and design. I understand that Toyota has recalled and is covering the cost of the replacement for vehicles 2007-2010. There appears to be an issue with the 2011 models and this should be investigated and the coverage expanded to include this year as well. The new technology was not in place when my car was manufactured. This defect creates unsafe conditions for the driver to navigate busy highways or country roads. I have this truck for hauling on occasion and I am so thankful that I did not have livestock in tow. The dealer reached out to Toyota for assistance in the replacement. Toyota covered 45% of the cost to replace the air injection system which I appreciate; however, I believe that the total cost should be covered in that it is a known defect/issue that still was not corrected when my car was manufactured. Most owners may not take the time to register a complaint. I wonder how many owners have had the same experience. I have not provided technical information here in that this is a known defect and I experienced all the effects of the defect while driving.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Jul 162014

Vehicle would not accelerate past 40mph. This occurred suddenly while driving. Dealership determined it was air injection pump failure. After discussion with master mechanic and a service manager I found that this problem was diagnosed it earlier models up to and including 2010 Tundra where Toyota took care of the repair. But they continued to use this part until late 2011. My truck was delivered in fall of 2010 and had the older style part. They changed the part design and now it prevents moisture to enter the pump and prevents corrosion which caused pump failure. The original part had flared head tubing and no seal the new design has a sealed tube end. Toyota new this would fail yet they did not make the recall I have requested a reimbursement but the have so far failed to do so this cost me over $2400 this expense should be entirely on Toyota

- Dansville, MI, USA

Feb 102015

After fueling vehicle, vehicle spits and sputters under moderate acceleration. Took to dealership and alcohol density was 41%, so it is not re-calculating fad, its a 2011 so Toyota doesn't honor the problem because its not a 2012 or 2013 although it has the exact same problem.

- Hope, KS, USA

Oct 192014

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

On sun. 10/11/14, I drove our Tundra on the highway when it lost power. The engine raced and rpms increased, but the speed fell and no acceleration was possible. On a hill, speed fell to about 15 mph. I was on my way to pick up my horse and trailer; if I had been towing them, it would have been catastrophic especially given the highway speed traffic. It was still dangerous even without the trailer. I turned on my hazard lights and limped off. "check engine" lit up. Took to dealership the next day, who said check engine code was "P2445" for "secondary air injection system water intrusion" requiring replacement of the air pump assembly, air pump inlet, emission valve set, etc. For $2600 because water invaded the system. The service tech said that this was not a known issue, but my internet search showed that Toyota issued a 12-page 2011 technical service bulletin, stating that "the air pump assembly inlet has been updated to prevent water intrusion." Toyota has neither recalled the defective inlets nor notified owners. The tsb says only trucks under the 36,000/ 3 year warranty are covered. Tundra are tow vehicles and it is foreseeable how unsafe this is. Because my truck was sold just over 3 years ago, the local dealership at first could not cover it. I contacted Toyota headquarters, who referred me back to the local service manager, who then reached southeast regional Toyota office, which finally agreed to cover the repair. When this air pump inlet fails, it allows water to enter the air injection system and the system to then fail in the dangerous way that occurred in my case, resulting in a sudden loss of power. I am concerned about this happening to others and that the dealers seem unaware of this tsb and this "known issue." Tsb link is here:

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Feb 202013

Truck's computer is reading an incorrect perceived alcohol density. Truck has a flex fuel engine and the computer is telling the engine that there is ethanol in the fuel system while there is not. I have never run ethanol in the truck yet the computer is reading that there is a 30-50% alcohol density in the fuel. The problems that have resulted from this are missing while under power and power loss while driving. Have had my truck to multiple dealers over 5 times now. The dealers have continued to re-flash my truck's ECU only to have the problem to come back because the ECU is a learning ECU. Toyota has released a fix for 2012 and 2013 models but not for the 2011 models which is leaving me stranded. I pull a boat frequently and the loss in power has significant negative effects on towing. This problem also causes the engine to run lean resulting in poorer fuel mileage and increased costs for me. I've talked with people at Toyota corporate and they have told me that there are no plans to release a fix for the 2011's and that there is basically nothing that I can do. So now I'm stuck with a truck that is reading the fuel wrong and causing the truck to run lean which is surely gradually damaging the engine which I'm sure will result in lots of repairs after the truck is out of warranty.

- Richmond, KY, USA