3.8

2012 Toyota Tundra electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Tundra:

2012 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Aug 182016

Tundra

This truck has continued to have electrical problems because rats get in the engine and eat the wires. This issue always happens when the truck is parked. This time the rats only made a nest but the last time costs me about $1200.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Apr 052016

Tundra

On 4/5/16, I started my 2012 Tundra to go to work. Engine light comes and stays on. Called local dealer and took the truck in. 5 hours of diagnostic testing reveals code P0418 (secondary air intake system) issue on my 2012 Tundra. Cost of repairs, $2048. After some research into this code P0418, I find that it is a reoccurring problem for Tundra, Tacoma and sequoias dating back to 2000 - 2010. Repair costs of up to $4,000. Supposed to be resolved in 2011 + models. Not so. If this is not corrected, the truck could go into limp mode, restricting power and depending on where this occurs, could lead to a dangerous situation. No way preventative maintenance will help identify this issue. I called Toyota customer service and they (Toyota) were willing to pay for half of my repairs, which I appreciate. However, they knew this was a problem dating back to 2000, made attempt to correct and still an issue. Seems like this should be investigated further based on the fact that this continues to plague owners.

- Greer, SC, USA

May 162013

Tundra

Electrical buzzing noise from dash area when pressing gas pedal. Dealer says not a warranty item. After researching online many people experience same issue with several Toyota models.

- Red Oak, TX, USA

Aug 132013

Tundra

As I was driving, another vehicle started veering into my lane. I pressed the horn pad to warn them. However, because I used my right hand and hit the pad at the most natural location for me -- I.e. the lower right portion, instead of honking the horn I hit the hands free talk switch on the steering hub. This has happened more than once. This is a natural location to hit the horn pad and other people I have talked to have had the same problem. In my view this is an unsafe situation because, not only do you not warn the other vehicle but you also get distracted at a time of possible extremis. It is bad design and need to be corrected;.

- Lafayette, CA, USA