4.8

2012 Toyota Tundra fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Tundra:

2012 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Nov 022015

Tundra

I experienced an extreme power loss which made it very dangerous to drive. When bringing to the dealership they informed me that the secondary air intake system needed to be replaced at a cost of $4,000. Upon researching I found that this problem has occurred on similar vehicles dating back to 2007. A recall and replacement was issued for all effected vehicles from 2007-2010. It appears that the problem continues after that date but not enough customers have complained or experienced the problem yet.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Mar 242016

Tundra

After starting the engine, the engine raised past red line RPM for several seconds. After slowing, I started to back out drive when engine raised again into red line RPM. Before I got it pulled back into drive, it raised 3 more times. Each time I managed to get to neutral.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Sep 012014

Tundra

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Tundra. While attempting to drive the vehicle, the contact noticed that the check engine indicator illuminated. The dealer stated that there was a puncture in the fuel line. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Freeport, TX, USA

May 162013

Tundra

Electrical buzzing noise from dash area when pressing gas pedal. Dealer says not a warranty item. After researching online many people experience same issue with several Toyota models.

- Red Oak, TX, USA

Jan 102013

Tundra

My issue is related to the issue I am facing with Toyota company. I purchased my truck within 2012 and since I have purchased the truck I took this truck to the dealership for several issues. Within few months of purchase the air injection pump stop working, truck was at the dealership for over a month. Toyota installed trd updated for my "inconvenience" I took my truck back to have looked at over 10times. On Friday I start having the same issues, so I dropped of my truck at the szott dealership on Saturday evening March 1st. Monday morning service manager called and informed that air injection pump is bad and it may take over 4 weeks to have the part replaced, about 4 weeks ago truck stop running so I took it to the dealership close by in canton, Toyota of canton replace the fuel pump, truck was at the dealership for a week. I try reaching out to Toyota and see if they could help me resolve the issue, but Toyota don't care. See below email I sent to Toyota on 12-13. I was assign "case manager" was no help at all. All I am asking Toyota to replace/resolve my truck issues. I am tired of taking my truck for repairs. I will file the complaint to the attorney general's office as well. Issues with cabin is being loud air comes from the windshield and form the left and right doors/windows. Truck was at the dealership last year for over 3 weeks due to the air intake pump issue. I am still facing the same issues while driving truck lose power and while I am pulling over some time I get the power back some time I have to wait to make sure I can drive over 25miles per hour. All the brakes have been replaced due to vibration, navigation system goes in and out while driving, dealership was informed. Whole dash lights electric in the dash flicker while driving. Last month battery died and electric issues are still there.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Dec 192012

Tundra

I purchased my flex fuel Tundra 5.7 in November of 2011. I started to experience issues with cold starts in December of 2012. I had an extended crank time, and it would take multiple attempts to start the truck. I took it to the dealership for the first time in January of 2013. The dealership reset my computer. The issue seems to be resolved. The following winter, in December of 2013, I started to experience the same issue with cold starts. The dealer apparently reset my computer again. Just a month later, January 2014, the extended crank on cold starts began again. This time, they told me my alcohol density was reading 49%. they said it should be at 85%, however, I am not using straight ethanol gas, which I told them numerous times, so my reading should not be 85%. I was told the computer should reset to 0 when I fill up, but my truck is not. It's just building up, which results in an inaccurate alcohol density reading. The dealership told me that the only current solution is if my tank drops below 1/4 tank, I should only fill it half way, drive it gently, and then go back to fill it the rest of the way. After filling it, I was told to let it idle, and drive it gently when I pull out of the gas station. This is unacceptable. Following my last visit to the dealership, when I refilled my truck for the first time after the last reset, the 'miles to empty' was reading 425! my truck usually ranges between 300 and 320. The 426 miles to empty reading only happened once, but again, the inconsistency and inaccurate readings are nonsense, especially on a $35K+ vehicle. Since then, I have researched the issue, and I'm not the only Tundra owner with this issue. Other flex fuel Tundra owners are having the same issue.

- Monroe, NC, USA

Jan 122013

Tundra 8-cyl

Flex fuel models sold by gulf states Toyota have an issue where the engine's computer thinks there is E85 fuel (or an alcohol concentration that is much higher than actual) in the system when there is normal 10% or less gasoline actually present. This can cause rough cold starts/idle, power loss, sudden RPM/power dropout, missing, and lessened fuel economy, etc. (different symptoms for different trucks). At this time there is no final fix and no available service bulletin. The only guidance at this time is to have your dealer see what alcohol concentration your truck is running and re-flash the computer if the readout is incorrect. Dealer also states to not accelerate aggressively. I have service schedule on 3/9/13 to address the problem for the third time. I purchased the vehicle new on 11/23/12.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jan 012013

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

Flex fuel models sold by gulf states Toyota have an issue where the engine's computer thinks there is E85 fuel (or an alcohol concentration that is much higher than actual) in the system when there is normal 10% or less gasoline actualy present. This can cause rough cold starts/idle, power loss, sudden RPM/power dropout, missing, and lessened fuel economy, etc. (different symptoms for different trucks). At this time there is no final fix and no available service bulletin. The only guidance at this time (3/5/13) is to have your dealer see what alcohol concentration your truck is running and re-flash the computer if the readout is incorrect. The issue occasionally returns for some users.

- Batesville, AR, USA