4.3

2013 Toyota Tundra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Tundra:

2013 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Aug 012016

Tundra

When the engine starts it has a very noticeable knocking noise on the passenger side that never goes away. You put it in gear and you can really hear the engine knocking, and the knocking speeds up as you accelerate. Even after the engine warms up completely you can still hear it knocking(stationary, or in motion). Also my gas mileage is horrible! I average about 12.3mpg every tank. The best mpg I have ever seen is 13.4 mpg average which is ridiculous even for a full size truck. I always loved Toyota vehicles and ever since I was young I always wanted a Toyota truck because I thought they were the toughest out there, but after owning this 2013 Toyota Tundra I'm disgusted.

- Eudora, KS, USA

Apr 272016

Tundra

Oil leak around cams. This is a common problem noted all over the internet - both 4.6 and 5.7 liter motors. Toyota refuses to cover if you are not notified of this problem after 60K miles or 5 years. Oil leaks on both sides of the motor on to the exhaust. The date I noted below, is only when the dealership told me. I believe this has been happening for sometime now. I just reached 60K+ with my last oil change and was then reported to me -- I believe with that intention.

- Palermo, ME, USA

Nov 092015

Tundra

Vehicle at 23199 miles, still under warranty-car stationary, smelled burning oil and noticed the oil leak from both sides of the wheel well above the heat shield. Vehicle was diagnosed by a dealer and cam tower seal was leaking from both sides. They also found valve cover was leaking as well. This was a great safety concern due to fire hazard. Factory defect due to insufficient seal applied to the matting surfaces. Defect remedied and major repair was completed. They have changed all the gaskets and seals on the engine.

- Wvc, UT, USA

Jul 082015

Tundra

Continuous oil leak from cam tower onto exhaust manifold. Dealer denied the issue even though the signs are very obvious. A call to Toyota to got me no where. They denied the issue like the dealer. There is oil on the engine block and also the exhaust manifold is black from the all of the oil dripping. After driving for awhile the car smells like it's burning. There is a very real potential for fire. The issue appears to be widespread. A quick internet search can find extensive examples. Toyota appears to be reverting to it's old ways and not taking responsibility for serious safety issues.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 282014

Tundra

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Tundra. While driving at approximately 60 mph, there were flames coming from the fuel lines, the engine compartment, and under the vehicle near the rear windows. The fire department was able to extinguish the fire. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Foley, MO, USA

Jan 162015

Tundra 8-cyl

I would like your help in assessing the possible danger from an active excessive oil leak from the cam tower on the 2013 Tundra. This relatively new truck leaked oil all over the engine without my knowledge until I brought it in for service. I was told this could have lead to an auto fire and since I am a disabled senior this is terrifying. A brief review of the internet literature shows that this leaking cam tower seal is a common problem and can happen repetitively because of a manufacture defect in the cam tower cover and seals. My question to you is this a common problem and is there really a danger of fire? in short should I think about buying a new truck and is there any investigation taking place at this time. Thank you for your help and assistance at this time.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Oct 012014

Tundra

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Tundra. While driving between 3 and 7 mph with the brake pedal depressed, the engine would rev and the rpms would erroneously increase. The vehicle was taken to two separate dealers who were unable to duplicate the failure. The failure mileage was 2,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA