1. replace door lock unit (1 reports)
2000 Volkswagen Beetle electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Volkswagen Beetle:

2000 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Jul 012007

Beetle GLS 2.0L

The driver side door locking system started malfunctioning around 2005. Sometimes my door won't lock itself automatically until I'm well down the road. This is a safety issue I'm sure. It also doesn't know when I open the door, so if the antitheft system is on and my door is still open after 60 seconds or if I turn the car on, the alarm will sound. I was able to get around this with the remote key entry, until that key finally malfunctioned in 2010. My car has an anti theft system that cannot be turned off permanently. I did read in a forum that you can turn it off with one key in the ignition and one in the trunk. But it re-arms itself without warning and if I don't have both keys with me, I'm driving out of the parking lot with my alarm going off and eyebrows raised. The only way to fix this is to replace the door locking mechanism which runs about $400.00 with labor. No thanks.

- , Kennesaw, GA, USA