1. replacement of airbag (1 reports)
2000 Volkswagen Beetle seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Volkswagen Beetle:

2000 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Nov 062007

Beetle GLS 1.8L Turbo

On the 2000 Beetle, you can telescope the driver steering column. WELL, the airbag spring coil uncoiled on my car when I telescoped the column and the only way i know this is because the airbag light came on. The dealer and other mechanics are saying the whole airbag needs to be replaced which will cost anywhere from $600 to $800. Now, I don�t feel as if this is a problem I should have to pay for. The vehicle was designed to have the steering column telescope so why would the coil uncoil when I use the feature? Also, they have told me that the airbag will NOT work if something where to happen. Is this something VW should look into and replace for me free of charge? I�m sure my car isn�t the only one like this out there!

- , Great Falls, MT, USA