2001 Volkswagen Beetle brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Volkswagen Beetle:

2001 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Sep 222011

There is many things wrong with this car. My parents are to afraid to even get it checked out to see whats wrong with it. Cause we all know its going to cost 1,000's.. First the brakes don't work well. At first, it would just make a vacuuming noise when you started the car. If you left before it was done, you would have to fight the breaks!

Then, it has electronic issues. For example, the Speedometer doesn't work. it was the first thing to fail around 2006 and we bought the car in 2005. Then all the check lights started going off so we decided to get it checked out. The dealership claimed that the computer was dieing or something and that the turbo was going to fail soon. they gave us a estimated price to fix the computer starting at 800$! So we decided to drive without a speedometer and follow the crowd. But at the end of 2011, the TURBO finally failed I think. I was driving it home, and then this crazy noise came from underneath the car and all the seat started shaking rapidly,the breaks didn't want to work, and just kept putting around. Needless to say, the bug has been sitting in our driveway since 2011. Sharing a 2002 Mazda with my mom (starting to go crazy also..) And I'm done staring at that piece of sh*t car in our driveway!

- , Wichita, KS, USA