2001 Volkswagen Beetle electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Volkswagen Beetle:

2001 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Apr 132016

Beetle GLS 1.9L

water causing electrical system to short

I need this car for work! I can't work if I can't drive a car. I can't drive this car if I have no money to get it fixed because the alternator or connectors or something keeps breaking on this car! I was driving in the rain one day and the battery light came on. It went off when I was stopped. That to me, indicated there was a short somewhere. Had to drive it home. The battery light was on the whole time. When I came home and turned off the ignition, I went to start it up again and the battery was dead, which indicates a bad connection to the alternator. Maybe water hit up underneath and splashed up on a connector, or the bottom part of the pulley system, I'm not sure. But this is TWICE this happened to me about the electrical system shutting my car down. This car will be the death of me if this keeps happening.

- , St. Peters, MO, USA